PDA

View Full Version : Columnist on AM1000 says SOX in "big trouble" if they start out slow


Hangar18
04-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Not sure who he was, but he said "now more than ever", the White Sox "must get out of the gate fast", to Neutralize some of
the Publicity the other team is getting. He said, "the Cubs have always gotten more Publicity than the White Sox for a number of years, and right now, its just tenfold". He said Interest in the
sox could dwindle Very Quickly and could be some very Troubling Times on the south side in terms of direction and fan base, and acknowledged the Sox are about to be Buried by the Media.
Very Apocolyptic and Disturbing thoughts on the Future of Our White Sox by this Columnist. Then again, these are things
Ive been PREACHING for quite some time now ...........not funny
to see us heading down this road. Anyone know who this guy
was?

Hokiesox
04-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Ah, once the Cubs lose every game Prior should have pitched, plus every game Alfonseca and Clement do pitch, everything will work itself out in the end my hanger friend. Never fear.

HomeFish
04-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Ah, once the Cubs lose every game Prior should have pitched, plus every game Alfonseca and Clement do pitch, everything will work itself out in the end my hanger friend. Never fear.

Alfonseca is no longer a Cub. :whiner:

Hangar18
04-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Anyone figure out who this guy was? He sounded like he was a National Sportswriter, he was asked to comment on the 2 teams chances ................He also believed the SOX will be run out of town Media-wise if they dont start out fast ............

SEALgep
04-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Anyone figure out who this guy was? He sounded like he was a National Sportswriter, he was asked to comment on the 2 teams chances ................He also believed the SOX will be run out of town Media-wise if they dont start out fast ............ Looks like he is a decade too slow.

RKMeibalane
04-05-2004, 01:40 PM
The Sox do need to get off to fast start; however, the Cubs haven't had back-to-back winning seasons in several years. That isn't going to change anytime soon. I don't care what their roster looks like on paper. They won't win more than seventy five games this season.

steff
04-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The Sox do need to get off to fast start; however, the Cubs haven't had back-to-back winning seasons in several years. That isn't going to change anytime soon. I don't care what their roster looks like on paper. They won't win more than seventy five games this season.


32 years to be exact... :D:

grebeck18
04-05-2004, 01:46 PM
If you heard this on Mariotti's show this morning, I think it was Stephen Bardo. Now if I could just find out what Marcus Liberty and Kendall Gill thought about the Sox, I would feel complete.

SoxxoS
04-05-2004, 01:51 PM
The best thing is that Boston Gammons pick the Cubs to win it all...which, in addition to the curse, is like the death knoll.

CubKiller5
04-05-2004, 01:55 PM
I don't think sCrub mania has ever been higher than it is now.
However; I don't think it very much matters what the SOX do early on.
Whether they win or lose, sCrub mania will still steal the headlines.

What does matter more than anything this year is that the SOX win
the Chi-town series. That's absolutely a must. If they can do it at a time when they have a better record all the better. If they can do it while having a better record & being in 1st place that would be the best.

DO YOU HEAR WHAT I'M SAYING PAUL KONERKO?????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Hangar18
04-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by grebeck18
If you heard this on Mariotti's show this morning, I think it was Stephen Bardo. Now if I could just find out what Marcus Liberty and Kendall Gill thought about the Sox, I would feel complete.

Are you kidding me? I think thats who it was. Man, he sounded pretty credible

fledgedrallycap
04-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Any guest on that show gets bullied into agreeing with that blimp. Bardo is a Sox fan, just not a good one.

Rocklive99
04-05-2004, 03:06 PM
I disagree (not about the media comments), but I don't expect a quick start, looking at our April schedule. I like it that way though, so we get the Yankees over with early.

MRKARNO
04-05-2004, 03:09 PM
if we start out april .500 and less than 2 or 3 back or better, the sox are in fine shape.

Clembasbal
04-05-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Any guest on that show gets bullied into agreeing with that blimp. Bardo is a Sox fan, just not a good one.


Yeah, right before that guy was on the air speaking that stuff Moronatti was saying the exact same thing, that they need a fast start otherwise they are dead in this town.

Him being a loser sports writer in this Cubstown, I see him totally following what he said. He also mentioned something else stupid (big surprise), but I use him as background noise while studying anyway so I did not catch it.

Railsplitter
04-05-2004, 10:08 PM
One thing that you will never be able to do is beat
Mariotti senseless. There is no way he be made more senseless than he already is.

batmanZoSo
04-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Not sure who he was, but he said "now more than ever", the White Sox "must get out of the gate fast", to Neutralize some of
the Publicity the other team is getting. He said, "the Cubs have always gotten more Publicity than the White Sox for a number of years, and right now, its just tenfold". He said Interest in the
sox could dwindle Very Quickly and could be some very Troubling Times on the south side in terms of direction and fan base, and acknowledged the Sox are about to be Buried by the Media.
Very Apocolyptic and Disturbing thoughts on the Future of Our White Sox by this Columnist. Then again, these are things
Ive been PREACHING for quite some time now ...........not funny
to see us heading down this road. Anyone know who this guy
was?

Sounds like more stellar Chicago sportswriting. It's like OH my god If we don't have a better April than the Cubs we'll be contracted!

That's just a tad melodramatic. Here's how it's gonna be...the cubs are gonna flop and we'll be slightly over .500, maybe win the division, and they'll outdraw us. Same thing every year.

SoxFan76
04-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Who else agrees with me on this. If I'm not mistaken, didn't a lot of the 2003 Flubbies have some career years? Who knows if they can duplicate that? The Trib said Sosa has become a contact hitter and will improve from last year. Now I don't take anything the Trib says seriously, and I haven't seen Sosa hit this year, so I can't say if that is true or not. Walker is making a switch to the NL, but I give him credit he is alright. Alex Gonzalez........ANYWAYS, basically there are plenty of question marks on this team. Unfortunately, the success of last year overshadows any true facts about the team. How about the 2nd place finisher in the WORST DIVISION IN BASEBALL only winning 2 less games than the Cubs? How about Buerhle winning 14 games last year, which was a horrible year for Mr. Buerhle, and Mr. Wood's best year was 14 wins? Buerhle also had 14 losses, but still...

Nobody in the media seems to understand these things.

I know we should be talking White Sox, but I'm a little upset today, and as long as this sorry excuse for a team on the northside still exists, I will continue to talk about the Cubs.

flo-B-flo
04-05-2004, 11:43 PM
I read the sCrUB obsession is still alive and well. If the Sox could only start strong and sustain as well as stay in the race all the way through the summer who the hell cares what the almighty media says. Meanwhile this season starts with a bullpen meltdown that rivals all those that have come in the last couple of years. Again if we don't win I'll be way more upset than with anything the evil little bears do.

StillMissOzzie
04-06-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
Who else agrees with me on this. If I'm not mistaken, didn't a lot of the 2003 Flubbies have some career years?

Moises the walking band-aid had the most games played since '98
Carrie Wood (I love this slam, Dr. Crawdad!) has a MAX of 14 W's
Sammy has to lay off the juice for now.
Who knows when Prior will be back, let alone effective.
Did they improve their catching at all?
Will Clement revert back to his usual self?
Will Derrek Lee flourish without getting to hit Scrub pitching?

Yeah, the Scrubs have their share of questions and issues, too.

SMO
:gulp: