PDA

View Full Version : NBC Watercooler Segment 4/5


hsnterprize
04-05-2004, 08:55 AM
For those of you who aren't familiar with the NBC 5 Morning Show, the anchors put on a "Watercooler Segment" near the end of the show. They ask a question early in the show so viewers can e-mail their responses to possibly have them read over the air. Well...this morning's "Watercooler..." had to do with fans' predictions of the Cubs/Sox seasons. I e-mailed them immediately, and they read my response on the air.

I'm trying to add a link so you can hear the reporter actually read my response. If it doesn't work, I'm sorry. Here's the text of my response just in case...

"Historically, Chicago baseball teams that do well one year choke the next year, while teams not expected to do well excel "under the radar." The Cubs are getting all the hype...they'll NOT make the playoffs. The White Sox will sneak up on teams and go far in the post season."

Your thoughts?

SSN721
04-05-2004, 10:03 AM
I would say history would back what you wrote. I certainly hope that you are right. I dont think this would be a very livable summer if it went exactly as the way people nationally think things will go. Cubs winning their division or at least the wild card, possibly advancing to the World Series, and the Sox coming in third behind the Twins and Royals(or Royals and Twins, which to the national media seem to be the only 2 teams that exist in the AL Central).

DSpivack
04-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
I would say history would back what you wrote. I certainly hope that you are right. I dont think this would be a very livable summer if it went exactly as the way people nationally think things will go. Cubs winning their division or at least the wild card, possibly advancing to the World Series, and the Sox coming in third behind the Twins and Royals(or Royals and Twins, which to the national media seem to be the only 2 teams that exist in the AL Central).

That's alright. I like being ignored; that way when we win it's that much more of a "surprise."

batmanZoSo
04-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
I would say history would back what you wrote. I certainly hope that you are right. I dont think this would be a very livable summer if it went exactly as the way people nationally think things will go. Cubs winning their division or at least the wild card, possibly advancing to the World Series, and the Sox coming in third behind the Twins and Royals(or Royals and Twins, which to the national media seem to be the only 2 teams that exist in the AL Central).

Les Grobstein is the biggest cub fan I know of and he picks the cubs to finish third. I wouldn't worry about them. Their ace is out, they don't have a fifth starter right now, Zambrano and Clement aren't very dependable, they have poor defense, no reliable closer, not much speed.

I don't see how they can be favorites to win it all. Just shows you that just because you hold a position at ESPN or SI doesn't mean you really know what you're talking about.

DSpivack
04-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
they don't have a fifth starter right now, Zambrano and Clement aren't very dependable, they have poor defense, no reliable closer, not much speed.

Wait, no fifth starter? Undependable starters? Poor defense? No closer? No speed? Let me guess- all right handed power hitters?!

I know who the Cubs are trying to be- the White Sox!!!

TDog
04-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
...
"Historically, Chicago baseball teams that do well one year choke the next year, while teams not expected to do well excel "under the radar." The Cubs are getting all the hype...they'll NOT make the playoffs. The White Sox will sneak up on teams and go far in the post season."...

I have been reminded of 1984 when the Sox, after winning the division by 20 games, added Tom Seaver. I even reserved vacation time for October. Everyone knows how that baseball season turned out. The Cubs even became the second team in Chicago to register a 2 million season at the gate. As bad as it was, at least I got tickets to see the World Series in San Diego.

Sometimes the hype is all you have.