PDA

View Full Version : New pics up at whitesox.com

soxnut
04-05-2004, 12:25 AM
renovations pics are up for week of 3/29 whitesox.com (http://whitesox.com)

mweflen
04-05-2004, 03:08 AM
You know, things don't look all that different (2002 to 2003 seemed like more of a change, with the new color scheme. But I suppose it will be April 13 before I know for sure :smile: I guess I'm truly waiting for the Phase V green seats :D:

I do hope the new roof adds to a cozy feel. I actually think the screens around the UD concourse will add to the look of the park the most - from the outside.

The only changes I could see significantly altering the 'feel' of the park from the seats are the aforementioned color change (which I think would go a LONG way towards lessening the air of 'sterility') and a REAL homerun porch, a la Hangar 18's recently posted drawing.

Speaking of which, I've heard tell that it would be recessed back, where the outfield concourse currently is, to prevent blocking the stadium club. LAME. It would't be a "home run porch" at all, then, since only the most steroid enhanced lefty slugger would be able ot reach it! (cough, Bonds, I'm looking at you if you're still playing next interleague home game)

If they want to really impact the park, without blocking the stadium club view, they should build a real porch in left - hanging over say all but 5 rows of the current LF seats. That way, rightie sluggers (more common, BTW) could reach the thing, while wtill offering some LF fans sun and ball catching opportunities.

Ah, screw it. I just want the old Comiskey Upper deck back. Now THERE was a homerun porch. :D:

SSN721
04-05-2004, 07:31 AM
I think the changes are looking pretty good myself. Sonce I get most of my tickets in the Club Level or the Upper Deck I will really enjoy the upgrades they have put in the UD. Just be nice to be able to go somewhere away from the elements if necessary and have more coverage from rain if you need it sitting outside. Looks very good to me.

thecell
04-05-2004, 10:15 AM
This link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/photogallery/upperdeck_renovations/040329/page_01.jsp) takes you directly to the photo page...

npdempse
04-05-2004, 12:04 PM
So the angled support beams remained. They're kind of weird, IMO. But I'm digging the transluscent windows.

batmanZoSo
04-05-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
I think the changes are looking pretty good myself. Sonce I get most of my tickets in the Club Level or the Upper Deck I will really enjoy the upgrades they have put in the UD. Just be nice to be able to go somewhere away from the elements if necessary and have more coverage from rain if you need it sitting outside. Looks very good to me.

The first pic they have up there shows how small and cozy the upper deck is.

tebman
04-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by thecell
This link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/photogallery/upperdeck_renovations/040329/page_01.jsp) takes you directly to the photo page...

Just thought it would be nice to look forward to a steadily-improving
ballpark. It gives us something more pleasant to think about than
yesterday's game.

"It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart."
--from The Green Fields of the Mind, by A. Bartlett Giamatti

- tebman

soxnut
04-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by tebman

- tebman

Thank you for that quote. Many on this website just don't get it.

thecell
04-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by tebman
Just thought it would be nice to look forward to a steadily-improving
ballpark. It gives us something more pleasant to think about than
yesterday's game.

- tebman

Not sure how to take your post, but I was just making it easier for people to link to the page rather than going to the home page and looking for the link.
:)

soxwon
04-06-2004, 05:48 PM
WHAT ARE THOSE PILLOW LIKE THINGS, A LONG WHITE TARP, THEY ARENT GOING TO STAY I HOPE?

anewman35
04-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
WHAT ARE THOSE PILLOW LIKE THINGS, A LONG WHITE TARP, THEY ARENT GOING TO STAY I HOPE?

I think you answered your own question - it's a long white tarp. They're probably just working under there.

steff
04-06-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
I think you answered your own question - it's a long white tarp. They're probably just working under there.

That's where the great and powerful "Oz" will watch the games from.. :D:

blueeyes33
04-06-2004, 05:54 PM
honestly i can care less about any renovations. id rather he spend the money on something like some real players.if you havent noticed.we need pitchers badly.we DONT need green seats however.we DONT need a more cozy park.etc etc. all that stuff isnt going to change our gameplay.

soxnut
04-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by blueeyes33
honestly i can care less about any renovations. id rather he spend the money on something like some real players.if you havent noticed.we need pitchers badly.we DONT need green seats however.we DONT need a more cozy park.etc etc. all that stuff isnt going to change our gameplay.

You know the money can't be spent on anything but renovations right???

A better ballpark and more money to spend can go hand-in-hand. Chicago is a tourist town in the summer. You have got to create an atmosphere that is going to be pleasant for out-of-towners to want to come to the ballpark as well. With a better ballpark, the bashing of our park will end(hopefully) therefore more out-of-towners who would like to spend a summer night at a baseball game will come.

Rush20
04-06-2004, 06:50 PM
honestly i can care less about any renovations. id rather he spend the money on something like some real players.if you havent noticed.we need pitchers badly.we DONT need green seats however.we DONT need a more cozy park.etc etc. all that stuff isnt going to change our gameplay. I

I agree that we need better players, however that's JR's money. The money for rehab comes only from US Cellular who is paying to sponsor the ballpark, not a particular player.

I agree that we need more focus on the on-field product, however these are two separate revenue/cost channels. I just hope they have enough money to finish the place right in 2005;

- Dark Green Seats
- Right Field Home Run Upper Deck (Not another fan deck over
the concourse) How many balls will make it up there?
- A new entrance in left field with the SOX offices moved off-site.
- Finally tear down those butt-ugly pedestrian ramps so we can
actually see the ballpark!
- Brick facade over exposed concrete
- New padding in the outfield
- Seats filled in over the umpire tunnel

Let US Cellular focus on that and hopefully JR and KW can focus on building a winner.

hillbilly
04-06-2004, 07:01 PM
I was in the cell about a week ago and the beams in the park looked real nice, although there will be some obstructed view seats. They also put windscreens up. I think someone said they look like translucent windows, which they might be, but their ultimate purpose is to keep the upper deck concourse free of wind tunnels. Also, the upper deck concourse is getting decked out inside with pictures and murals and signs and what not. Maybe not to the extent of the club level, but not the cold concrete death aura it gave off before. Also there's gonna be sweet looking support beams coming down into the upper deck giving it that old timey stadium feel.

mweflen
04-06-2004, 07:10 PM
I definitely like the LOOK of the UD. It's reminiscent of Old Comiskey.

But why no concession for obstructed seats? Those tix should be $5, no more. They're $16 on weekends, just like unobstructed seats.

I think the translucent screen looks really cool, especially lit up from the inside. And if it keeps the wind tunnels down, all the better.

blueeyes33
04-06-2004, 11:15 PM
sorry but if your a tourist your not going to want to go see cell field if you can go see wrigley. who are you kidding. lets all admit it.

and i dont think its very smart to even try to comepte with that audience in that way. if we still had the old park than great.we have a shot.but as of right now vintage is what draws people that are considered tourists.they want history.not new.

the only shot we have in bringing people is by winning.

but what do i know

pinwheels3530
04-07-2004, 03:01 AM
We don't have the old park it's been gone for 10 years so let's work with what we have. I agree winning will bring people out to the game, but if tourist want to come to our games then we should market OUR park as sox fans, and be proud of what we have, this town has two ballclubs not one!

Brian26
04-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Rush20
- Brick facade over exposed concrete

Not going to happen, bro.

soxnut
04-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
We don't have the old park it's been gone for 10 years so let's work with what we have. I agree winning will bring people out to the game, but if tourist want to come to our games then we should market OUR park as sox fans, and be proud of what we have, this town has two ballclubs not one!

Exactly

soxnut
04-07-2004, 04:07 PM
sorry but if your a tourist your not going to want to go see cell field if you can go see wrigley. who are you kidding. lets all admit it.

and i dont think its very smart to even try to comepte with that audience in that way. if we still had the old park than great.we have a shot.but as of right now vintage is what draws people that are considered tourists.they want history.not new.

the only shot we have in bringing people is by winning.

but what do i know

Of course you have to compete for the tourist dollar. You don't just give up. By doing the renovations, hopefully having a separate bilding with a larger version of the White Sox Hall of Fame, a restaurant open year-round, etc.

And it's not necessarliy vintage. There are many companies that have ballpark tours, that don't include vintage ballparks. Who are you kidding, there are hardly any old parks left. And yet, there are many ballpark touring companies. You have to give those people a better ballpark, one that compete with all of the other new parks.