PDA

View Full Version : Favorite opening day memory

Railsplitter
04-04-2004, 09:05 PM
What's everybody favorite opening day memory for the Sox?

Mine is from 1982. Due to snow (yes young 'uns, snow) it seemed like the Sox would never start the season. The first week saw so many postponements the first week of the season, they finally opened with a double header with the Yankees on April 11, which, like this year, was Easter Sunday. My family spent Easter with my grandparents, but we watched the games on TV. I still remember my Dad and Grandpa enjoying it when the final out of the nigthcap was recorded.

Malgar 12
04-04-2004, 09:25 PM
I guess mine would have to be last year (2003), because I was actually at the ballpark. I live in MI, its a four hour drive into Chicago, and the way it was raining, it is amazing we got the game in. Plus we had total nosebleed seats but, it was perfect on that day becaue we were under the "roof" so we didnt get rained on.

Connie's Pizza before the game, free shuttle so we didnt have to pay for parking, the skies miraculously parted, and the Sox won the game. Talk about a good day.

1951Campbell
04-04-2004, 09:31 PM
April 18th, 1991. After the Tigers put up a ten spot in a single inning, my dad asked if I wanted to go. I said no way! If I'm skippin' school for this, there's no way I'll leave early. So we waited it out.

I still have my ticket stub, and the plastic stub holder...free from the Trib. Sat in Section 163, Row 13, Seat 10*. The bleachers.

All in all, I'd have to say the last game at the old park with my dad was better. :D:

*A $6.00 seat, by the way!

mike squires
04-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Yet another slam on Comiskey, er, uh...U.S Cellular field...

ESPN the Mag Total Access page 118, describing the exclusive lodging at Augusta.

"You need a guide to find the secret hallway to the place, and then vertigo pills to deal with the steepest set of stairs this side of U.S. Cellular Fields upper deck. What a bunch of morons. WIll the media ever recognize oour beloved WhiteSox or must we constantly play second fiddle to the Chicagos' other team? I am canceling my subscribtion to ESPN the magazine. I don't know how much more I can take of this media bias.

Your Truly,

Hanger :D:

mike squires
04-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Oops, I meant for this to be a new thread. It's what I get for being a smart ass.

mike squires
04-04-2004, 10:01 PM
I skipped school on opening day at home for years and it seems like we always lost. My favorite memory would have to be in 2000. A sell out, beautiful 70 degree evening, Ray makes a beautiful backwards diving catch and Frank erases all doubts with a dinger.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-04-2004, 10:09 PM
My favorite was 1988 opening day. My dad let me and my brother skip school. We woke up really early, went to an greasy spoon to get breakfast and then hit the park to try to get autographs as the players arrived.

Well the only two people we got were Andy the Clown and equipment trainer Willie Thompson. Andy was hanging outside the No Resale of Tickets tree and Willie T. just was walking by us and my dad told us to run up to him and get his autograph. I have to say he was the most gracious equipment manager ever.

We didnt get any players, but my brother and I still talk about it.

batmanZoSo
04-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter

Mine is from 1982. Due to snow (yes young 'uns, snow) it seemed like the Sox would never start the season. The first week saw so many postponements the first week of the season, they finally opened with a double header with the Yankees on April 11, which, like this year, was Easter Sunday. My family spent Easter with my grandparents, but we watched the games on TV. I still remember my Dad and Grandpa enjoying it when the final out of the nigthcap was recorded.

No doubt it was 2000 vs. Anaheim. It was the game where Ray made that fantastic diving catch in right on a pop up. It was 70 degrees, I was a month from graduating HS, I was baked, drinkin margaritas..and we won. And you could feel something special was a brewin that year. That was the best time I ever had at the ballpark.

RichFitztightly
04-04-2004, 10:16 PM
My favorite, was, I think May 1998. I believe Navarro was pitching, but I don't remember much of the game. I remember I skipped a monday at college and decided to catch opening day. Me and my buddy were waiting in line to buy tickets when my cousin came up to us out of no where and said, "Hey, my buddies didn't show up, you want these tickets? Won't cost you nothin'." We jumped all over the offer. We sat second row in the bleachers. About the third inning Magglio was warming up with the center fielder and when they were ready to start I looked over to right field. Then I saw Magglio launch a ball into the stands. I'm like, "hmmm, that ball will be pretty close to us... HOLY CRAP!!! It's coming right at us!!!" So I nudged my buddy and said head's up. The ball hit him in the hands Bartman style and dropped over the row in front of us. Me and him dove over the bleacher and he came up with the ball. I was kinda pissed cause earlier in the year he caught a puck at a Mighty Ducks/Hawks game and had the whole stadium booing him for wearing his Hawks jersey in Anaheim. Oh and I'm pretty sure Navarro got the Win which was rare enough.

Brian26
04-04-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
My favorite was 1988 opening day.

I'm afraid to ask who our opening day pitcher was that year. Were we still in the Dave LaPoint era? Jerry Reuss?

mike squires
04-04-2004, 10:20 PM
THe awsome...Ricky Horton.

1951Campbell
04-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I'm afraid to ask who our opening day pitcher was that year. Were we still in the Dave LaPoint era? Jerry Reuss?

Hey now, I have soft spot for Reuss. Stop it.

Hangar18
04-04-2004, 11:04 PM
1981. Carlton Fisks 1st home opener with the SOX. and he steals the show. Say, ive got a question here and cant believe I dont remember this......Didnt the SOX get No-Hit by Jack Morris in the 1984 Home Opener? I remember it was freaking cold that day ..........

ihatethecubs
04-05-2004, 04:13 AM
i'll say bo jackson's homer in 93

Railsplitter
04-05-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
1981. Carlton Fisks 1st home opener with the SOX. and he steals the show. Say, ive got a question here and cant believe I dont remember this......Didnt the SOX get No-Hit by Jack Morris in the 1984 Home Opener? I remember it was freaking cold that day ..........

No, it was a Saturday. In fact, it was the first time a Game of the Week played in Chicago was seen on the local NBC station.

Railsplitter
04-05-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter

I left out the most pertinent fact about that double header: The Sox swept it.

Dan H
04-05-2004, 08:53 AM
This is going to date me but it is April 9, 1971. The Sox beat Minnesota 3-2 on a Rich McKinney single in the bottom of the ninth with two out. The Sox hoped for 25,000 and got 44,250. The place went nuts after McKinney's hit. I still have not seen such energy and emotion at either of the ballparks. 2000 was great but it didn't match the high Sox fans felt in 1971.

jackbrohamer
04-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
THe awsome...Ricky Horton.

Good God. I'd totally put him out of my mind. Like Neal Allen, circa 1987

Dick Allen
04-05-2004, 09:49 AM
1978 - Chet Lemon scoring from first base on a bloop hit to win the game.

Paulwny
04-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Detroit, 1959, "power hitter" Nellie Fox hits a HR in extra innings, sox win.

HomeFish
04-05-2004, 11:39 AM

I was listening on the Radio. The game opened with Kenny Lofton stretching out an at-bat against Garcia and finally either drawing a walk or getting a single.

I started crying because we finally had a real lead-off man. What a shame that it didn't last past the end of the month.