PDA

View Full Version : It's A Long Season

owensmouth
04-04-2004, 07:34 PM
I hope I never hear Ozzie say: "It's a long season."

That sentence seemed like the core principle of Jerry Manual. Every time we lost it was "It's a long season." The players picked up on it and they played as if they believed it.

I hope Ozzie instead feels that every loss is a victory we could have and should have secured. A loss is a game that we can never recover; that it's one step closer to elimination.

Yes, we're gonna lose some games. What's important is that the players come back the next day more determined to win; more determined to make sure that the next game the other team looses.

That's the change that our new manager must make.

A. Cavatica
04-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Well said!

:)

TornLabrum
04-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth

That sentence seemed like the core principle of Jerry Manual. Every time we lost it was "It's a long season." The players picked up on it and they played as if they believed it.

I hope Ozzie instead feels that every loss is a victory we could have and should have secured. A loss is a game that we can never recover; that it's one step closer to elimination.

Yes, we're gonna lose some games. What's important is that the players come back the next day more determined to win; more determined to make sure that the next game the other team looses.

I assume it's okay for him to say, "It's a marathon, not a sprint." Right?

voodoochile
04-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I assume it's okay for him to say, "It's a marathon, not a sprint." Right?

Just so long as I never have to hear him say, "(Starting against the Yankees in NY) is more important to Mark (Buehrle) than it is to us."

Go Sox!

batmanZoSo
04-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Just so long as I never have to hear him say, "(Starting against the Yankees in NY) is more important to Mark (Buehrle) than it is to us."

Go Sox!

Personally, I hope I never hear Ozzie say..."we never gave up."

SSN721
04-05-2004, 08:08 AM

I completely agree. The last thing we need is a new team apologist to tell us to look ahead when the team screws up and not focus on bad play. Ozzie seems to me as the type of guy that would not use this, or any other, excuse so I hope that it never does happen.

hold2dibber
04-05-2004, 09:40 AM

I agree, but I am somewhat skeptical about the ability of the manager, any manager, to instill fire into the guys currently on this roster. It's hard to change someone's personality -- and guys like Konerko, C. Lee, Maggs, Thomas -- just don't seem to me to be guys who have a real passion for the game. There's only so much a manager can do.