PDA

View Full Version : Sox Post Game Live

phillyguy8
04-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Ok guys, some of you may remember me on here a few weeks back asking for help on a Chicago Comcast Sportsnet project I was doing. Well, I just have one more question. Considering these ideas are going to be presented to the person in charge of making this decision, your advice counts big time.

I want to know who you think would be the best to handle the 30 minute-or-so White Sox post game live (on after each Sox game on Comcast)? For the Phillies, one year we had Rico Brogna, another we had Joe Kerrigan, now we have a guy named John Marzano who played in the majors for a little, but is from South Philly. The person should either be a former Sox player, or someone with baseball smarts with a Chicago flavor. Any suggestions?

Also, if any of you are Blackhawks fans (judging by my research there aren't too many of you left), who would you suggest is used? The same is needed for the Bulls and Bears.

I understand if you're sick of me on here asking questions, but these suggestions could result in you getting who you want on the air, so any help would be great. Thanks again guys.

Good luck tomorrow. There isn't a better feeling than opening day. Clean slate, everyone's in first. I'm going to turn on Major League in 2 hours to get me all juiced up.

I drafted Loaiza again, will he be good for me?

gosox41
04-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by phillyguy8
Ok guys, some of you may remember me on here a few weeks back asking for help on a Chicago Comcast Sportsnet project I was doing. Well, I just have one more question. Considering these ideas are going to be presented to the person in charge of making this decision, your advice counts big time.

I want to know who you think would be the best to handle the 30 minute-or-so White Sox post game live (on after each Sox game on Comcast)? For the Phillies, one year we had Rico Brogna, another we had Joe Kerrigan, now we have a guy named John Marzano who played in the majors for a little, but is from South Philly. The person should either be a former Sox player, or someone with baseball smarts with a Chicago flavor. Any suggestions?

Also, if any of you are Blackhawks fans (judging by my research there aren't too many of you left), who would you suggest is used? The same is needed for the Bulls and Bears.

I understand if you're sick of me on here asking questions, but these suggestions could result in you getting who you want on the air, so any help would be great. Thanks again guys.

Good luck tomorrow. There isn't a better feeling than opening day. Clean slate, everyone's in first. I'm going to turn on Major League in 2 hours to get me all juiced up.

Good question. Off the top of my head the first name that came up was Jeff Torborg. I like him as an announcer and thinks he adds a lot to the broadcast. He is a good analyst and comes off well. Of course he is probably under contract with Fox or someone.

I need more time to think.

I also have my doubts about Esteban. I think he'll have less then 15 wins.

Bob

SoxBoy14
04-04-2004, 04:03 PM

I like Bill Melton for the White Sox post game show, he did it last year on Fox Sports Net. For the Bears, Dan Hampton. He does some Bears coverage and he was on the 85 team so he knows his football. Mike Ditka would also be a good candidate.

ode to veeck
04-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Dick Butkis is pretty good on the air, though he's better at live game coverage than a guy for the weekly show (CBS goofed by moving him off CBS radio game broadcasts & into the weekly TV studio coverage). His direct style would be great for post game interviews ...

mikef1331
04-04-2004, 04:49 PM

Ron Kittle might be a good choice for the Sox post game. He's on nbc 5 every once in awhile for the sunday sports show and he usually does a pretty good job.

TornLabrum
04-04-2004, 06:06 PM
What I'd really like to see is Dave Wills move over from radio (he already does the postgame on ESPN-1000 along with a weekly prep sports TV gig on Comcast) and paired up with Bill Melton. If not him, then Ron Kittle and Melton.

Brian26
04-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
What I'd really like to see is Dave Wills move over from radio (he already does the postgame on ESPN-1000 along with a weekly prep sports TV gig on Comcast) and paired up with Bill Melton. If not him, then Ron Kittle and Melton.

Damon Andrews is absolutely, positively atrocious. I hope the Fox Sports guys have finally convinced him to tone down the jive-talk-trying-out-for-ESPN schtick.

Malgar 12
04-04-2004, 08:26 PM
George Wendt

Daver
04-04-2004, 08:29 PM
I would like to see Dan Mcneil and Scott Bertram doing the post game show.

dpbyron
04-04-2004, 08:40 PM
White Sox: I am not a big fan of Bill Melton. I really would like to see Dave Wills and anyone who would avoid using cheesey one-liners. I HATE when someone like Damon Andrews or Gail Fischer tries to be Jay Leno.

Bears: Gary Fencik? Dan Hampton? I would prefer an ex-bear who will do his homework and still loves the team.

Bulls: Stormin' Normin' is the man.

Blackhawks: When Wirtz :angry: kicks the bucket I'll start to care.

Bottom Line: I prefer an ex-player who is prepared and still cares about the team. I would want someone who is not afraid to critize the team when things are going bad.

SoxFan76
04-04-2004, 09:44 PM
I just like when Damon introduces himself as "merely Damon Andrews"

Stormin Norman is a must, other than that, I don't know. Melton is alright, I think there are better choices out there than the Beltin' one.

Clembasbal
04-04-2004, 09:47 PM
White Sox: Dave Wills -- the guy loves to tell it how it is, just the way Sox fans like it. I mean even if we win, he might point out something we need to work on (which is good).

Bears: Curtis Enis

Bulls: Bill Wenington is great, he was an awesome person on the bulls and when he stepped in for Red Kerr he was terrific.

Blackhawks: I would like Writz to be taken off the ownership of the Blackhawks - if you could do that. If not, then Darren Pang is good, what about...Bob Probert, I love that guy.

Bottom Line: I would love somebody who does their homework, knows what they are talking about, and is not afraid to tell it how it is and critize when it is necessary.

RichFitztightly
04-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Sox: Eh, I don't have any strong feeling on anybody. Damon Andrews ain't terrible, he's got energy. Granted most of it is nervous energy, but it's a start. I think an old player with personality would work great. I can't think of any off hand.

Bulls: I've always like Jud Buecheller. I thought he had a great personality. Steve Kerr is pretty good as well.

Hawks: Put them on TV more. It's pretty good as is, I don't know about Probert though, maybe he's improved from the first time I heard him on the radio, but he was brutal.

Bears: Butkis was great as an announcer. Hub Arkish (sp?) is good. He'll tell it like it is, unless he's interviewing somebody, then he won't ask the tough questions, but I like what's going on now with them.

mike squires
04-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by mikef1331
Ron Kittle might be a good choice for the Sox post game. He's on nbc 5 every once in awhile for the sunday sports show and he usually does a pretty good job.

I remember tuning in to watch Kitty do that sportstalk show. I want to say it was out of Gary.

phillyguy8
04-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Daver
I would like to see Dan Mcneil and Scott Bertram doing the post game show.

May I ask who these people are?

Tough loss yesterday. At least you know you have the bats...

jabrch
04-06-2004, 10:21 AM

Dan MacNeil was Chet Coppack's sidekick for many many years. He then became one of the cornerstones of the WSCR, until his relationship there ended. Now he is with AM1000 here.

npdempse
04-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Kittle and Melton are the names that come to my mind as well. Throw in Pudge Fisk for the occasional rant.

I like Dave Wills on the radio, but having just seen him on CLTV, I think he's letting himself get a bit too large for TV.

poorme
04-06-2004, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Coppock himself return.

ewokpelts
04-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Philly,

What I really think you guys should do is an evening sportsnews show. " Chicago Sports Now" or something like that. Us locals hate watching biased(pro-east coast) shows like sportcenter than give our teams a negative slant. And I dont have to tell you that local newscasts only have a few minutes at best to give out sports news. I think they're too busy with all the gang shootings and drive time commutes, unless the "cubbies" are in the playoffs. If you guys consider a show like that, I defintely recommend Norm Van Lier as an anchor. He's a bulls legend, and works well on camera.

As for the pre-post shows:
Sox: Ron Kittle would be awesome, but he is working with the Schaumburg Flyers at the moment. I'm not sure if he'd be able to juggle that.(Unless you guys agree to air some flyers games ). I think Minnie Minoso and Moose Skowron(both who are already on Sox payroll) could be good guest analysts or hosts. If you guys could get Carlton Fisk in ANY capacity that's be really good. I htink Bill Melton in the booth with Hawk might be both funny and insane(in the good way).

Bulls: Keep Norm Van Lier, and Bill Wennington 's good too. Scottie Pippen may retirethis year, and i think he'll be good in any capacity of a bulls telecast.

Hawks: I dont watch Hawks games. They dont play home games on tv, thus lose untold numbers of fans by not giving them a chance to learn what hockey's about.

Bears: Anyone BUT Mike North.

ewokpelts
04-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Oh.....get Wolves games too...that'd rock. If only to piss off Bill Worst.
Gene

jabrch
04-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Anyone BUT Mike North.

FOR ANY POSITION EXCEPT HOTDOG MAKER

phillyguy8
04-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Philly,

What I really think you guys should do is an evening sportsnews show. " Chicago Sports Now" or something like that. Us locals hate watching biased(pro-east coast) shows like sportcenter than give our teams a negative slant. And I dont have to tell you that local newscasts only have a few minutes at best to give out sports news. I think they're too busy with all the gang shootings and drive time commutes, unless the "cubbies" are in the playoffs. If you guys consider a show like that, I defintely recommend Norm Van Lier as an anchor. He's a bulls legend, and works well on camera.

You are in for such a treat. You guys aren't going to know what hit you when this new station comes to town. It really changes everything. It will be your new favorite channel, guaranteed. This is why it's an easy case for me to make, becuase you guys really don't have much local sports. Could someone tell me what kind of local sports stuff cltv does? My buddy has rcn cable and doesnt get it, so i'm pretty in the dark which isnt the best considering they'd be competition.

You guys are going to LOVE this station. As a huge Philly sports fan, it really has changed my life (i'm not exaggerating and it's pretty pathetic, but it's true). Just imagine having sportscenter on in the mornings and nights that's dedicated to chicago sports. Add in some additional chicago-only sports programs and you will be in heaven. Here's what I posted a while back, but I'll post it again.

Starting October 1st you will be getting a new sports station. Comcast Sportsnet will be taking over for Fox Sports Net. Chicago joins Philadelphia (this is the station I get my sports) and the Mid-Atlantic (D.C and Baltimore) region to have Comcast Sportsnet. They, not fox sports will have your major sports teams. To my knowledge, all cable subscribers will get this station. They will show all local sports. Rather than national coverage they will feature local coverage. It's very cool for the Chicago sports fan. You will have post game coverage for all games on tv and all bears games. There will be other local shows rather than just the paid programming that's on now. In Philly, we have a show that features the sports writers from our Daily News in a rountable discussion about the news in local sports. After a while it builds on you and it is very enjoyable. But the best part of Sportnet (other than their awesome game coverage) is a show called sportsnight and sportrise. They are like sportscenter except they have a local focus. The show is devoted to local sports. So instead of the bears getting 1 minute on sportcenter or 2 minutes on the local news you will get 10 minutes on sportsrise/sportnight. It's a half an hour show and you get some national too, just not as much as sportscenter. I watch both. Since the comcast show is only 30 minutes it''s very doable.

ewokpelts
04-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Philly,

Thanks for the great news. But I do think FSN is staying, just not having sox/cubs/bulls/hawks.I think what may be good too is if you guys can air more local HS and college games, but you may be competing with FSN for that programing. Somehting I remember fondly about Sportschannel was the insane ammount of non-pro events (even amateur softball). If you guys could look into weekly shows about each team (the "Sunday Sox Show" for example) that'd be great. As a Sox fan, we lament the fact that the Cubs get WAY MORE coverage. Any little increase we get will speak volumes on fans' loyalty to Comcast Sportsnet. I know you guys wont make it a "Sox Station" but considering that FSN favors Cubs telecast over Sox(even though the Sox offer more telecast on FSN and probably generate more revenue for FSN), I fear that CSN couls stand for Cubs Sportsnet instead of Comcast Sportsnet.
Gene

npdempse
04-06-2004, 12:29 PM

I think Minnie Minoso and Moose Skowron(both who are already on Sox payroll) could be good guest analysts or hosts.

While you've gotta love both these guys, I think they're a little too far into the golden years to really handle the demands of hosting/analysis. They'd be great guests from time to time.

I heard Moose on one of Rooney and Farmer's broadcasts this spring, and he went on for a good five minutes about his dental problems. Not TV-friendly stuff.

bobj4400
04-06-2004, 12:37 PM

McNeil is die-hard Sox fan who has a radio show on ESPN1000 here in Chicago. He would be a good guy for a post game show. Bertram is a producer?? for the show I believe.

na_na_na_na
04-06-2004, 12:53 PM
I'd like a three man team of Kittle, Wills, and Black Jack McDowell.

Mickster
04-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Dave Wills, plain and simple. Just listen to Sox radio post-game show.

Daver
04-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
McNeil is die-hard Sox fan who has a radio show on ESPN1000 here in Chicago. He would be a good guy for a post game show. Bertram is a producer?? for the show I believe.

Scott Bertram is now the radio voice of the Rockford Lightning,and the vise pres. of promotions.

nitetrain8601
04-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Sox: Kittle and Wills
Bulls:Kerr and Wennington(though I would prefer them for play-by-play)
Bears:Butkus & Waddle
Hawks:I think the guys on FoxSportsNet do a good job, get them

TornLabrum
04-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I wouldn't mind seeing Coppock himself return.

Yeah, Chet could spend the on-air time talking about himself and then talk about the Sox during the commercial breaks...when he's not talking about himself.

TornLabrum
04-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Philly,

Thanks for the great news. But I do think FSN is staying, just not having sox/cubs/bulls/hawks.I think what may be good too is if you guys can air more local HS and college games, but you may be competing with FSN for that programing. Somehting I remember fondly about Sportschannel was the insane ammount of non-pro events (even amateur softball). If you guys could look into weekly shows about each team (the "Sunday Sox Show" for example) that'd be great. As a Sox fan, we lament the fact that the Cubs get WAY MORE coverage. Any little increase we get will speak volumes on fans' loyalty to Comcast Sportsnet. I know you guys wont make it a "Sox Station" but considering that FSN favors Cubs telecast over Sox(even though the Sox offer more telecast on FSN and probably generate more revenue for FSN), I fear that CSN couls stand for Cubs Sportsnet instead of Comcast Sportsnet.
Gene

Comcast already airs Wolves games on their "Comcast Network" channel. (Here in Joliet, it's Channel 3.) A lot of high school games are televised produced for TV on their community access channels. (For example, my son and I will be doing play-by-play for three Romeoville High School baseball games in the next few weeks.) But the high school games are taped, edited, and played later, at least in Romeoville.

I agree that if the pro clubs are footing most of the bills, Comcast should take some of that money and put it into other local sports.

TornLabrum
04-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Scott Bertram is now the radio voice of the Rockford Lightning,and the vise pres. of promotions.

Didn't he start either at The Score or ESPN-1000?

Daver
04-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Didn't he start either at The Score or ESPN-1000?

He was a producer at AM 1000.

And your quote pointed out that I spelled vice pres. wrong.

I really need to learn how to check my spelling.

TornLabrum
04-06-2004, 10:48 PM
He was a producer at AM 1000.

And your quote pointed out that I spelled vice pres. wrong.

I really need to learn how to check my spelling.

Spelling, poor grammar, and lousy editing/proof reading haven't slowed me down!

DSpivack
04-06-2004, 10:56 PM
I like everyone's Sox suggestions, but have one name for the Bears no one has mentioned. What about Dan Jiggetts?

AMestan
04-06-2004, 11:04 PM
SOX: 1. Carlton Fisk
2. Ed Farmer
3. Rich King

Carlton lives in Chicago and would be the best.
Farmer and Rich King are Chicago Southside guys who understand the game and know that Sox fans want straight forward no nonsense reporting (No Damon Andrews BS, fluff).

Blackhawks: 1. Bobby Hull
2. Stan Mikita
3. Jim Pappin

All three have a personality and would love to stick it to Wirtz. Fans would love watch any of these guys explain how bad the Hawks are from top to bottom.

Frankfan4life
04-06-2004, 11:20 PM
What's Julie Swieca (sp) doing these days?

luvsox56
04-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Dave Wills, plain and simple. Just listen to Sox radio post-game show.

I agree... :smile:

gosox41
04-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
I like everyone's Sox suggestions, but have one name for the Bears no one has mentioned. What about Dan Jiggetts?

The Nutty Professor??

He annoys me and degrades himself when he tries to do his Superfan imitation with Mike North. I hate to sound politically incorrect, but he sounds like a retard.

That's all that Jiggetts brings to the table, not including everyone elses leftovers.

Bob

DSpivack
04-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
The Nutty Professor??

He annoys me and degrades himself when he tries to do his Superfan imitation with Mike North. I hate to sound politically incorrect, but he sounds like a retard.

That's all that Jiggetts brings to the table, not including everyone elses leftovers.

Bob

As long as I'm just throwing names out, who's that guy on WLS Tv that seems a stathead? Real nerdy fella [like myself], but seems very knowledgable.

WhiteSox = Life
04-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
As long as I'm just throwing names out, who's that guy on WLS Tv that seems a stathead? Real nerdy fella [like myself], but seems very knowledgable.

Brad Palmer.

Don't ask for my opinion.

'Cause I don't have one on him.