PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Don't overreact thread

SoxxoS
04-04-2004, 01:43 PM
As we all know, tomorrow is opening day, what we have been looking forward to for about 5 months.

I recall last year on opening day, we had a huge game thread saying how we should trade X, bench Y and play Z. Everyone was going crazy. I am guilty of it. I remember I was so mad at Carlos Lee smiling after he popped out, that we should trade him.

All I am saying is tomorrow is important, but please don't overeact like we are giving up Game 6 of the NLCS. There are 161 more to go. :D:

pudge
04-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Ehh, it's typical to pick apart Opening Day, nothing wrong with doing so as long as you keep it in perspective... But, I will say, how this team starts the season is a big deal... I'm not so much worried about the Yankee games as I am how we start against KC compared to last season's awful start... it really does set the tone for the season. Last year throughout April, everyone said, "Calm down there's a lot of time left...." And you know what? April cost us the division.

SoxxoS
04-04-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Ehh, it's typical to pick apart Opening Day, nothing wrong with doing so as long as you keep it in perspective... But, I will say, how this team starts the season is a big deal... I'm not so much worried about the Yankee games as I am how we start against KC compared to last season's awful start... it really does set the tone for the season. Last year throughout April, everyone said, "Calm down there's a lot of time left...." And you know what? April cost us the division.

I don't think it was April so much as our late season collapse against Minnesota. We had our chance, we were in first place pretty late in the season and we blew it.

batmanZoSo
04-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I don't think it was April so much as our late season collapse against Minnesota. We had our chance, we were in first place pretty late in the season and we blew it.

It really doesn't matter if we win or lose tomorrow. But I'll be looking for hustle and smart play. It's just like any other game, we might just get outpitched or outplayed...it's the signs that are important. I don't wanna see pop ups and run downs and bad pitching moves--hallmarks of opening days from 2001-2003. There's enough talent to compete on this ballclub...if they show me the right attitude and fundamentals tomorrow, I'll be pretty confident.

longshot7
04-04-2004, 02:28 PM
I'm glad there is an OFFICIAL thread for this - I was gonna start an unofficial one.

duke of dorwood
04-04-2004, 02:35 PM
I dont expect the first 4 series to go well, then I think we'll be OK

SoxxoS
04-04-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I dont expect the first 4 series to go well, then I think we'll be OK

Confidence, my dear friend.

I think we start 2-0. K.C. doesn't impress me. We split with the Yanks, 2-2. Take 2 of 3 at home against KC.

I think 6-3 to start the season. K.C. will NOT sneak up on us, and we usually kill lefthanders. The team will be ready to go and prove to Ozzie. Hopefully our sticks will carry over to the season.

CWSGuy406
04-04-2004, 04:40 PM
KC's pitching staff of 5 Lefties doesn't do much to scare me. Thomas, Magglio, Crede, Lee, Konerko should be hitting 300+ after these first two games. Brain Anderson starts tommorow, he's a fourth-fifth starter on most any other team.

SoxBoy14
04-04-2004, 05:06 PM
I know i'll make a huge deal out of the outcome, then an hour later i'll remember that this is almost as unimportant as a ST game. Either way i'm always looking for a Sox win!

gosox41
04-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
As we all know, tomorrow is opening day, what we have been looking forward to for about 5 months.

I recall last year on opening day, we had a huge game thread saying how we should trade X, bench Y and play Z. Everyone was going crazy. I am guilty of it. I remember I was so mad at Carlos Lee smiling after he popped out, that we should trade him.

All I am saying is tomorrow is important, but please don't overeact like we are giving up Game 6 of the NLCS. There are 161 more to go. :D:

I won't overreact because I don't expect much from this team in '04. They have a chance to be the tallest midget in the weak AL Central and that's the only reason I haven't thrown in the towel.

While people shouldn't flip out if the team loses, I woud like to remind everyone of the obivous....that these games in April count the same as much as those in September. And that at the end of last season how many times did people here rightfully rehash certain games or periods early in the season when the Sox failed to take control of the division.

I'd hate to have that feeling again. I can add the usual cliches about how it's more important to beat teams in your own division, and all the different what if scenarios, but I won't do that...until some later point.

Bob

SoxBoy14
04-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

that these games in April count the same as much as those in September. And that at the end of last season how many times did people here rightfully rehash certain games or periods early in the season when the Sox failed to take control of the division.

We learned that the hard way last year by getting swept by the tigers and devil rays, if we would've won 2 out of 3 for both of thsoe series we would've been in the play-offs. The only reason I blame those series a lot is because those were supposed to be easy wins, yet we got swept because we didn't take them seriously. Hopefully none of that happens this year.

soltrain21
04-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
I know i'll make a huge deal out of the outcome, then an hour later i'll remember that this is almost as unimportant as a ST game. Either way i'm always looking for a Sox win!

Thats not true at all...EVERY game counts. We learned that last year...

mweflen
04-05-2004, 03:01 AM
Overreaction and bitterness are the hallmarks of the long-suffering White Sox fan.

How can you deny us our birthright?

;)

Baby Fisk
04-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Whatever happens today vs. KC, the reaction among Sox fans will be calm and gentle compared to the hysteria already being whipped up in Boston:

Shaughnessy stokes the Sunday night flames (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/04/05/this_early_departure_troubling/)