PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL "Clayton or Valentin for SS?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-09-2001, 03:59 PM
This is the OFFICIAL POLL for voting who should be the Sox shortstop. (For the purpose of this discussion, let's assume these are your only two choices for opening day, 2002).

Please feel free to offer your opinion why you chose either Clayton or Valentin. That's what this thread is for.

On the other hand, if you wish to respond to someone's opinion listed here, do so on one of the other two OFFICIAL threads set up for this specific purpose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
All replies to other people's opinions on this thread will be moved elsewhere. NO EXCEPTIONS!

This is a safe thread for expressing your opinion on the Clayton/Valentin topic.

Go Sox!

-PHG

dimaisback
09-09-2001, 04:15 PM
This poll is an insult to our intelligence....the result will be as one-sided as the "Navarro vs Pedro" arguement.

El Train
09-09-2001, 04:38 PM
Ok, here's how I see the whole SS fiasco.
No royce. Defense was a good idea, but we need Valentin's bat in the lineup. I like Valentin at 3rd. Maybe we can get a better shortstop with a little more offense but still solid defense. I say the Valentin/Clayton duo is not an improvement from Perry/Valentin.
I'm sure this is not the most popular of views, but its a thought.

ode to veeck
09-09-2001, 04:46 PM
Train, totally agree with you, and even if you say, we could improve the D at short a little with Manos there, ask yourself, is that one of the key holes or reasons to why the sox lost to seattle last year or have been 500 or so club since mid-season last year? I think not. The pitching injuries and the general lack of an effective bullpen are the "keys" to sox mediocrity

HootieMcBoob
09-09-2001, 05:32 PM
The Choice has been the Sox' best hitter in the last couple months (.350 BA). He's becoming one of my favorite players to watch, believe it or not. Keep Jose at third cuz we definitely need his bat in the lineup too.

If Royce starts declining offensively or defensively very significantly, put Jose back in there, but you can't take The Choice outta there now the way he's been playing.

Next year, the battle will be decided in spring training. Clayton may not be on the team next year at all. Crede might win third base. Our questions will be answered soon.

doublem23
09-09-2001, 05:38 PM
Me gusta Manos!

Yes, Royce has turned it on as of late and is hitting well, but there are two halves to the game of baseball, teh game on the field and the game in the clubhouse. Manos is clearly the team leader. Clayton is a clubhouse cancer.

Seeing as Manos is our leader, does anyone know how annoying it is to be bounced around from position to position. My last year playing ball, coach moved me around from LF, 3B, SS, CF, and 1B. I had my worst season at the plate cuz I could NEVER concentrate on my defense between games cuz I had no idea were I was going to play.

Manos is the man. Hopefully KW will say, "buh-bye, Royce"

Nellsin
09-09-2001, 06:39 PM
I love Manos, the straw that stirred the Sox drink in 2000 and a tremendous asset in 2001 when he's been in. But if Royce Clayton had not existed in 2001, it would have been necessary to invent him -- Manos has had an iffy-to-bad hamstring for a good chunk of the season -- last year I think it was a groin or something. We need a back up, who I'm not sure.

Paulwny
09-10-2001, 02:25 PM
Neither one !

FarmerAndy
09-10-2001, 03:25 PM
While I agree that we need to find a spot for Jose, Royce
is simply a better shortstop. The Indians kill other teams
with solid infield defense, and we need to build the same
thing. When it comes to offense, Royce has been great in
the second half. I can't think of a better 2 out hitter on the
team. What more does he have to do prove he deserves
the spot? Perhaps walk on water?

As far as Royce being a "clubhouse cancer", I've never
heard any of his teammates say that. Sure, the media
feeds everybody that crap, but how many of you really
put stock in sportswriters?

doublem23
09-10-2001, 03:53 PM
It's nice we all want to make everyone feel warm and cuddly and find them all a spot to play, but this is going back to the good ol' days of Baseball 101.

You take your best 9 players and stick them at their best defensive spots. Period.
If it so happens that 2 of your best nine play the same spot, then, T.S. to one of 'em.

Clayton should be moved/benched because there is nowhere for him to play. Like it or not, Valentin is only going to be worse defensively anywhere other than shortstop, so why not let him play his best spot? Like I said before, do any of you know how irritating it is to be bounced around from 3B, LF, SS, CF, etc.? It's a pain in the ass to say the least.

Plain and simple, Valentin is the spark plug for this team. Without him, we'll suffer through many 2001's. Last year we had really 1 weak link in the lineup (catcher, until CJ arrived). I don't care how good Clayton has been hitting, when you've been pretty for like 3 1/2 months, and you're batting .260ish, you suck.

longshot7
09-15-2001, 02:17 PM
Why not keep both? Move Valentin to 2nd and trade Durham. Voila, it's that easy.

Mathew
09-16-2001, 05:56 AM
If Royce starts declining offensively or defensively very significantly, put Jose back in there, but you can't take The Choice outta there now the way he's been playing.

What the hell do you mean if Royce starts declining? I'd say he is so bad that there is no room for a decline. But it is insane to think of Royce as a .350 hitter. He is not a star on the rise, he is a bad journeyman on the decline. At least Valentin should have 2 or 3 good years left, Royce is capable of none. He is a cancer it is his classy teamates who don't throw that around. We know this because he whined to the press for the first 3 months. How many of those who defend him now booooed him in May?