PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Wimpy

OurBitchinMinny
04-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Maybe its just me and I admit WGN doesnt carry as many sox games on the superstation up here in minnesota as it used to. But I really miss when Hawk and Wimpy were together. Some of my best childhood memories were watching games those two called. Im not a huge DJ fan. Hes ok, but hawk and wimpy had a chemistry. Of course hawk and dj are still better than carey and stone, or bremer and blyleveyn up here in minny. Maybe Im the only one who feels this way.

Brian26
04-03-2004, 05:41 PM
I loved Hawk and Wimpy, but DJ really has grown on me. There's a certain bite between Hawk and DJ that keeps them interesting to listen to. It's not necessarily a love/hate thing, but I think DJ isn't quite as complacent on the microphone as Wimpy used to be. Very rarely did Wimpy ever disagree with Hawk. Honestly, I don't recall Paciorek ever really making a brilliant observations. He was funny and comfortable with Hawk, and you could tell they were good friends. However, DJ has really become a good analyst and makes very astute observations - moreso than Paciorek ever did. DJ did a terrific job with Rooney in that weekend Oakland series in late 2002, and he's done a great job on the Saturday national broadcasts. At this point, I actually prefer DJ and Hawk over Wimpy and Hawk.

Whitesox029
04-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Well either is really fine with me. I was a bit sad when Wimpy decided to leave, but DJ has really improved since his first season. There is indeed a certain bite between the two of them sometimes, which is hardly ever bad thing. However I still miss Wimpy for his knowledge of the game. He and Hawk were able to reminisce a bit more since Wimpy was older than DJ and had more in common with him. Their careers even overlapped by two years, both of them playing in '70 and '71. Too much reminiscing is no good, as we see in the example of Santo, but when Hawk and Wimpy talked there was always something to learn.

RhubarbStew
04-03-2004, 08:43 PM
To me, both Paciorek and DJ sound like they should be doing high school games on cable access. I will agree that DJ's at least got his own opinions. Paciorek NEVER disagreed with Hawk and even gradually adopted some of Hawk's phrases, saying things like "Mercy" and "Lordy." He's from Michigan for God's sake!

TornLabrum
04-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by RhubarbStew
To me, both Paciorek and DJ sound like they should be doing high school games on cable access. I will agree that DJ's at least got his own opinions. Paciorek NEVER disagreed with Hawk and even gradually adopted some of Hawk's phrases, saying things like "Mercy" and "Lordy." He's from Michigan for God's sake!

He lives in Stone Mountain, GA, though.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-03-2004, 09:14 PM
I've heard he does some stuff for the braves on TBS on this board. I wonder if he'll do any regular season games this year, I'll have to check them out.

cwsox
04-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Tom might have been slightly hinted at to leave but he really left on his own accord to deal with the priest who sexually abused him and two of his brothers at Redford St. Mary's. Jim (the one who played QB for Michigan) alone of the 4 escaped that. Tom also had some therapy for the guilt he felt for not confronting the priest earlier which might have spared the abuse of the middle two brothers. And he got some support groups going givien his prestige and status as one of the members of one of Michigan's great sports families. Tom deserves praise and kudos for what he did, I consider him a hero.

Tom did a few Tigers games for two seasons, gradualy began to rip on the Sox the second season, just little digs but while I enjoyed hearing him broadcast the digs hurt but the one who pays the piper calls the tune.

Tom's latest life events have been covered by others.

I don't think we should ever think about bringing Tom back. Hey, I mis Bob Elson and Red Rush but we don't need to keeping going back to our childhood days. DJ is an acquired taste (so was Tom) and he has improved greatly. I am very happy with our Hawk and DJ team of the present.

Huisj
04-04-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by RhubarbStew
He's from Michigan for God's sake!

hey. watch it. what you got against the great lakes state?

Tragg
04-04-2004, 01:01 AM
Wimp was okay, but nothing special.

DJ's fine.

DonkeyKongerko
04-04-2004, 04:34 AM
DJ really came into his own this past season. He seemed to handle the PBP on his few chances alot better than in the past. He didn't try to talk too much when there was really nothing interesting to say as I thought he did in past years.

DJ sealed the deal for me during that rain delay in Toronto when he referred to the grounds crew as, "a bunch of nimrods".

Viva Magglio
04-04-2004, 07:38 PM
I though Wimpy left basically because Hawk wanted him out. Wasn't that the story originally?

HITMEN OF 77
04-04-2004, 08:16 PM
I lied Wimpy. He had a knack for broadcasting and was very good at it. However, I'm a fan of DJ as well. I think he's become better and better as the years go by and he and Hawk have become a great team.