PDA

View Full Version : Lost some respect for Neyer

SoxxoS
04-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Rob, you have one job...TO COVER BASEBALL.

Rick (Chicago, IL): Milton to the White Sox? Long-term need at CF? What do you think?

Rob Neyer: The White Sox seem to think Willie Harris is still going to develop (and he might), and Joe Borchard lurks in the weeds, too. So I don't think these Sox are the right fit, either

CubKilla
04-03-2004, 01:38 PM
I don't get it. What's wrong with his answer other than the White Sox would rather have Harris at 2B and Borchard at, more likely, L or RF?

ChiSox14305635
04-03-2004, 01:41 PM
I hope Rowand puts up All-Star type numbers to discredit all of these media dopes who don't think he can get in done in center.

SoxxoS
04-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Neyer implies that Willie Harris is playing CF this year. They pretty much scrapped that idea long ago. If he does develop, it will be as our starting 2nd baseman, not center fielder.

So, basically, Willie Harris has nothing to do with our CF situation.

CubKilla
04-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
I hope Rowand puts up All-Star type numbers to discredit all of these media dopes who don't think he can get in done in center.

Rowand better be on a leash as short as Botch if his April '04 is as abysmal as his April '03.

CubKilla
04-03-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Neyer implies that Willie Harris is playing CF this year. They pretty much scrapped that idea long ago. If he does develop, it will be as our starting 2nd baseman, not center fielder.

That's what I thought you meant. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something :) .

Gumshoe
04-03-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635

Yes, Aaron is looking real good and finally the naysayers have shut up. I think he'll be solid. I never said he'd be an All Star but I have always said he was an above average CF with a good arm, and he showed last year he can hit, and hit in the clutch.

Opening day soon!

gumshoe

SoxxoS
04-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Yes, Aaron is looking real good and finally the naysayers have shut up. I think he'll be solid. I never said he'd be an All Star but I have always said he was an above average CF with a good arm, and he showed last year he can hit, and hit in the clutch.

Opening day soon!

gumshoe

That kind of stuff around here will get you booted right off this board. :D:

HomeFish
04-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe

If I have shut up, it has only been because I have not found opprotunities to naysay Rowand and not because I think he will be effective.

jeremyb1
04-03-2004, 02:16 PM

No, I think he's saying it because Harris is our leadoff hitter and that's the role that Bradley would play.

Deadguy
04-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Rowand better be on a leash as short as Botch if his April '04 is as abysmal as his April '03.

Rowand's production is not that critical, since he is being hidden in the 8th spot of the lineup. If he struggles, so be it. I hope he just plays solid defense. Any offensive production out of him will be a plus.

Botch is of greater concern, since we can't have our closer struggling.

SEALgep
04-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
If I have shut up, it has only been because I have not found opprotunities to naysay Rowand and not because I think he will be effective. If he hasn't given you an opportunity to naysay him, isn't that essentially showing you he can be effective?

Daver
04-03-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
If he hasn't given you an opportunity to naysay him, isn't that essentially showing you he can be effective?

The Sox haven't played a single game that counts yet.

SEALgep
04-03-2004, 02:28 PM
I don't think "we have a future need for a CF" makes a case for Bradley. We have guys coming up who can play the position (Reed, Borchard, Anderson.) One more year, and maybe not even that long, and at least two of these three are a legitimate option. Bradley is obviously ready now, but Rowand hasn't shown cause for alarm this ST. In fact, he's looked very good.

SEALgep
04-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Daver
The Sox haven't played a single game that counts yet. That's not a fair assesment, because if he was sucking right now, people would be all over him. If I said, well it doesn't count yet, what would be the response? Exactly. I'm not saying what he's done counts, but you have to at least admit he looks ready for the season.

Paulwny
04-03-2004, 02:39 PM
It all depends on which way you want the wind to blow.
If a player is having a bad st, people say, "ST numbers don't mean a thing".
If a player is having a good ST, people say, "see, he's ready"

The season's about to start, we'll have many questions answered in ~ a month.

anewman35
04-03-2004, 04:33 PM

It's a chat, not a column. He was writing these answers quickly, maybe he meant Rowand and gave the wrong name. Even if he didn't, cut him some slack, nobody is perfect.

beckett21
04-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Not to mention the obvious fact that Willie did patrol CF awhile for us last season. Should Rowand stumble, it is not inconcievable that we could see Uribe at 2B and Harris in CF. You can't teach speed, and Willie could cover a lot of ground out there. The speed would be put to better use in Center than in the infield.

That would also probably mean that we were duking it out with the Tribe for 3rd place, or 4th depending on your point of view. Believe me when I say I hope this never happens. But if Rowand goes down, for whatever reason, my guess is that this is plan B.

Or is Ross Gload going to play CF?

SEALgep
04-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Not to mention the obvious fact that Willie did patrol CF awhile for us last season. Should Rowand stumble, it is not inconcievable that we could see Uribe at 2B and Harris in CF. You can't teach speed, and Willie could cover a lot of ground out there. The speed would be put to better use in Center than in the infield.

That would also probably mean that we were duking it out with the Tribe for 3rd place, or 4th depending on your point of view. Believe me when I say I hope this never happens. But if Rowand goes down, for whatever reason, my guess is that this is plan B.

Or is Ross Gload going to play CF? Willie's speed isn't wasted at second, his range will be put to use there. Plan B is to bring Reed or Borchrd in center if Rowand, or any of our outfielders for that matter, goes down.

beckett21
04-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Willie's speed isn't wasted at second, his range will be put to use there. Plan B is to bring Reed or Borchrd in center if Rowand, or any of our outfielders for that matter, goes down.

You would think that Reed and/or Borchard would be a logical plan B. Looks like they are going to keep Reed down another year, or at least until rosters expand, and most likely he will be Maggs replacement should he bolt. Borchard brings nothing to the table as far as I can see. At least Willie can run if nothing else.

His speed is an asset at second, for sure, but to me would be more valuable in CF. Especially given the lack of range of our OF corners, no offense to Magglio. And Kenny is *SKY-HIGH* on Uribe, as he is with just about any acquisition he makes. Another KW pet project. Hopefully Kenny doesn't hurt himself patting himself on the back. I do think he wants to find a spot for Uribe though. And we all know how he feels about Willie.

You could be right, I just see it a little differently.

As far as Neyer's comments, I don't know how to interpret them, to be honest. I may be totally off base here, but we have not necessarily seen the last of Willie Harris in CF unless I totally missed something. Which is possible.

SEALgep
04-03-2004, 06:07 PM
You would think that Reed and/or Borchard would be a logical plan B. Looks like they are going to keep Reed down another year, or at least until rosters expand, and most likely he will be Maggs replacement should he bolt. Borchard brings nothing to the table as far as I can see. At least Willie can run if nothing else.

His speed is an asset at second, for sure, but to me would be more valuable in CF. Especially given the lack of range of our OF corners, no offense to Magglio. And Kenny is *SKY-HIGH* on Uribe, as he is with just about any acquisition he makes. Another KW pet project. Hopefully Kenny doesn't hurt himself patting himself on the back. I do think he wants to find a spot for Uribe though. And we all know how he feels about Willie.

You could be right, I just see it a little differently.

As far as Neyer's comments, I don't know how to interpret them, to be honest. I may be totally off base here, but we have not necessarily seen the last of Willie Harris in CF unless I totally missed something. Which is possible. The reason I came to that conclusion is because KW stated Willie won't be playing CF, only second base. That was the logic behind acquiring Perez. If Rowand went down, Perez would remain a backup and Reed would most likely be called up. KW made inferences to that as well. I see your logic, and I'm not saying it's wrong, but this is the way it looks as of now.

Daver
04-03-2004, 06:26 PM
When it comes to speed on this team,Willie Harris is the fastest,closely followed by Joe Borchard.

beckett21
04-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Guess I should mention I did forget about Timo the great. Not hard to do. With any luck at all we will forget he is even on the team.

poorme
04-03-2004, 06:51 PM
I never had any respect for Neyer.

SEALgep
04-03-2004, 08:18 PM
Guess I should mention I did forget about Timo the great. Not hard to do. With any luck at all we will forget he is even on the team. Why, he's not a bad backup for CF. He's got range and speed there, and I doubt there will be any need to bat him against lefties. He hits well against righties, and we have additional speed off the bench with veteran experience (World Series.)

beckett21
04-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Why, he's not a bad backup for CF. He's got range and speed there, and I doubt there will be any need to bat him against lefties. He hits well against righties, and we have additional speed off the bench with veteran experience (World Series.)

Re: Timo Perez:

Decent role player perhaps, I just hope we don't have to rely on him for anything more than that. I am keeping my expectations low so anything he does will be a bonus.

I will try to keep an open mind. :D:

SEALgep
04-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Re: Timo Perez:

Decent role player perhaps, I just hope we don't have to rely on him for anything more than that. I am keeping my expectations low so anything he does will be a bonus.

I will try to keep an open mind. :D: Lol, that's a good attitude. I assure you he is not going to be anything more than a role player. We aren't trying to find a new guy for the outfield with the talent we have coming in, and KW did say that if someone were to go down, Reed will most likely be called up to fill the void, keeping Perez as the fourth outfielder. Not to worry, but if that weren't the case, your concern would be completely justified.