PDA

View Full Version : White Sox need strong start ...

Nick@Nite
04-03-2004, 07:16 AM
Chicago looks to reverse its recent history of slow starts

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040402&content_id=679962&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Pretty obvious eh? ... One thing I'm sick of is the Yankee Mystique Crap Again (now officially known as YMCA) ... "The good news for the White Sox is that they are done with the Yankees by the end of April. The bad news is that seven games in one month against that team of All-Stars often can hamper the opposition's morale."

Puhleeze. I'm not going back to look it up (beyond the 2003 season), but the Sox were 4-2 last year against the Yankees, and probably should've swept them. ARod or no ARod, I enjoy Sox - Yankee match-ups... we seem to win our share.

HomeFish
04-03-2004, 09:20 AM
The one year we didn't do well against the Yankees was 2002. This season is looking a lot like 2002; if we are swept by the Yankees, it would make the similarities far too disturbing.

CubKilla
04-03-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by HomeFish
The one year we didn't do well against the Yankees was 2002. This season is looking a lot like 2002; if we are swept by the Yankees, it would make the similarities far too disturbing.

The way I see it, at the very least, the Yanks will feast off of Shoenweiss. Wrong will be thrown in there too. No BP and this season can go to "suck" really quick before the Home Opener.

As for Yankee Mystique..... 26 (?) World Championships, alumni such as Ruth, Gehrig, Berra, Dimaggio, Mantle, et al..... there is definitely a mystique, like it or not, to the Yankees.

A hell of alot more mystique than the White Sox but, then again, we never really had ownership that valued winning over $$$$$.

Nick@Nite
04-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
A hell of alot more mystique than the White Sox but, then again, we never really had ownership that valued winning over $$$$$.

Your right, NYY is the best team money can buy.

Too damn bad they don't still have Clemens & Wells. We slammed them around Yankee Stadium last August as if they had both just come up from A ball.

Clemens Bombed
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/wrapup.jsp?ymd=20030826&content_id=498826&vkey=wrapup2003&fext=.jsp

Wells Shelled
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/wrapup.jsp?ymd=20030827&content_id=500410&vkey=wrapup2003&fext=.jsp

Ahhhh the memories.

Kuzman
04-03-2004, 11:11 AM
lol the irony of you guys talkin about shoenweis being bombed by the yankees, if you look at the box score of the roger clemens game, youll notice showenweis gave up the only 2 runs allowed in that game by the sox, im sure loazia would have loved to pull the no hitter against the yanks

SSN721
04-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Kuzman
lol the irony of you guys talkin about shoenweis being bombed by the yankees, if you look at the box score of the roger clemens game, youll notice showenweis gave up the only 2 runs allowed in that game by the sox, im sure loazia would have loved to pull the no hitter against the yanks

I am at work and to lazy to research the box score, so I apologize for my laziness, but how many innings did he pitch in that game? I am not knocking you just honestly would like to know because I can't remember accurately.

Nick@Nite
04-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I am at work and to lazy to research the box score, so I apologize for my laziness, but how many innings did he pitch in that game? I am not knocking you just honestly would like to know because I can't remember accurately.

Here's the line on Shoeneweis

IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
1.0 3 2 2 0 2 0 5.21

sas1974
04-03-2004, 03:22 PM

The Yanks have definitely earned their reputation as baseball's most historic franchise.

But I wouldn't say that the Yanks value winning over $$$. They don't have to worry about things like that bc they have both. They are making money hand over fist.

To contribute to the original topic of this thread, there is no question that a good start is esstential this year. If they don't get out of the gate quick, look out because we're finally going to get more media attention then we will be able to handle. The only problem is that it will all be negative.

jabrch
04-03-2004, 03:27 PM

Knock King George all you want - but he still makes a lot of money off the Yankees and his baseball related properties.

Whitesox029
04-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Do you know why he makes a lot of money on the Yanks? because he puts out a winning team. If you hear Kramer and Frank Costanza talk in the early nineties Seinfeld shows (pre-1996) it's like listening to Sox fans today (and then) complain about Reinsdorf.

Back to the Sox in 2004 though.

2-4 is a likely record for the Sox coming into Comiskey on the 13th. I would accept and prefer 3-3 or better, but I predict 2-4 and here's my breakdown:

GM 1 in KC- Buehrle gets a case of the opening day jitters as he gives up 4 runs in 5 innings, 2 of them getting on as walks. Not a disaster, but enough to set himself and the Sox at 0-1 as the Sox' only 2 runs come on a HR off the bat of Paulie in the second inning. Back to the cold weather, boys!

GM 2 in KC- Loaiza shines, assuaging Sox fans' worries that 2003 was a fluke. He pitches a 3 hit complete game shutout. The Sox score only 2 runs again, one a solo shot from Thomas, the second a manufactured run, but this time it's enough. Sox fans begin to have nightmares about the lethargic hitting of the early part of 2003.

GM 1 in NY- Vazquez vanquishes the Sox completely, going 8 innings and giving up only one run, leaving the save for Rivera. Garland pitches well, but not well enough, going 7 innings and giving up 3 runs, only two of them earned. Lee makes an error on a 2-out flyball, which is followed by a long double (misjudged by Lee). Sox lose 3-1. Nightmares continue.

GM 2 in NY- Schoeneweis implodes as expected, giving up 5 runs in the first, and 2 more in the second before being yanked. The Sox score a season high 4 runs this game, but to no avail. The runs all come in one inning in a sequence of hits.

GM 3 in NY- Wright pitches well but gets not help from his bullpen. Gives up 2 runs in 7 innings, leaving with a 3-2 lead. Takatsu promptly gives up a 3 run homer to Giambi and the Yanks score twice more in the inning. The Sox make a valiant effort to come back in the 9th after a Yankee error and back to back doubles and a solo homer, but come up short, losing 7-6. Guillen commends his team for their effort after the game and issues a loud pep talk about how, basically, the Yankees suck, starting a rivalry between the two teams that will eventually culminate in a playoff series. Meanwhile, the Sox are 1-4.

GM 4 in NY- Buehrle returns to form and throws 6 solid innings, giving up only 1 run (HR by A-rod) before getting in a spot of trouble in the 7th. Guillen leaves him in to pitch out of it, and he does successfully with the help of one of Konerko's brilliant 3-6-3 DPs. The bullpen then proceeds to shut the yanks down in the 8th and 9th. Mussina pitches 4 good innings before giving up 4 runs to the Sox in the 5th, including a moon shot by Thomas. The Sox then score 5 more runs in the 8th off Felix Heredia, and one more in the 9th, leaving the Bronx with a bang, beating the Yanks 10-1. Sox fans breathe a bit easier.

The Sox are 2-4 with Loaiza starting at home against a 5-1 Royals team coming off a 4 game home sweep of the Indians. The Twins are surprisingly also 2-4 after a bout of '03-sox syndrome, losing two out of three to both Detroit and Cleveland.
There you have it. It will be interesting to see how this turns out against what really happens. Anyone care to do their own detailed predictions of the first 6 games? It will help pass the interminable time between now and 2:10 on Monday.....