PDA

View Full Version : Koch's bold statement

bc2k
04-02-2004, 03:54 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040401&content_id=678899&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp
"I'm not throwing 100 right now, but at some point in the season, I will be," Koch said. "I think it's a plus because I'm not going out there and trying to do too much. Your arm is just going to keep getting stronger, stronger and stronger throughout the year. If I am ever up there, then I will have the right mechanics to where I'm going to locate that 100 or 97 or 98 or whatever it might be."

How can this guy make such a bold statement? I've already conceded that he'll be a mopup BP pitcher this season, but then he tempts me with what he once was.

JRIG
04-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040401&content_id=678899&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

How can this guy make such a bold statement? I've already conceded that he'll be a mopup BP pitcher this season, but then he tempts me with what he once was.

What he once was wasn't too great to begin with anyway. But at least he was better than average.

bc2k
04-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
What he once was wasn't too great to begin with anyway. But at least he was better than average.

You're probably right, but I would be entertained seeing Koch climb the ladder with GAS--He Gone!

And you're overlooking one thing that Koch and Cooper have been stressing all Spring: the improved command of Koch. Less is more; Koch is more of a pitcher now. I don't believe he has command, but if he ever combines command with his old heater, he would be a better pitcher than he ever was with Toronto and Oakland.

KingXerxes
04-02-2004, 04:14 PM
The biggest problem Koch ever had was a lack of movement on his fastball. It used to come at you 103 mph but it was as straight as an arrow.

If he's got some movement on it and he's lost 10 mph, then he may be effective. If it's still flat, he's dead.

dickallen15
04-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Its still straight. They (Koch and the White Sox) kept saying last year that his velocity would be back as soon as his mechanics were straighten out. Either his mechanics are still screwed up, or he was juicing before and isn't now, or he has a serious injury. He will not be the closer for very long. Hopefully, he'll make 3 run games 1 run victories and not cost the team wins before Guillen figures out that Koch is through.

A. Cavatica
04-02-2004, 04:44 PM
I think we should pool our money and buy Koch a threshing machine (or some other finger-mangling device). Remember Bob Wickman? He had movement.

joecrede
04-02-2004, 05:00 PM
So Koch believes he'll regain his lost MPH sometime during the season, that is great news.

Totally unrelated, but does anyone know when the performance-enhancing drug testing ends?

hillbilly
04-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Its still straight. They (Koch and the White Sox) kept saying last year that his velocity would be back as soon as his mechanics were straighten out. Either his mechanics are still screwed up, or he was juicing before and isn't now, or he has a serious injury. He will not be the closer for very long. Hopefully, he'll make 3 run games 1 run victories and not cost the team wins before Guillen figures out that Koch is through.

Since when did you become pitching coach of the sox? How do you know how much movement his pitches have? You can't tell how much a pitch moves by watching it from the CF cam on tv.

beckett21
04-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
The biggest problem Koch ever had was a lack of movement on his fastball. It used to come at you 103 mph but it was as straight as an arrow.

If he's got some movement on it and he's lost 10 mph, then he may be effective. If it's still flat, he's dead.

Yup. The only difference is, the faster it comes in, the further it goes out of the yard. Unless he has added *pitching* to his repetoire, he's still just a thrower. And not a very good one at that.

dickallen15
04-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by hillbilly
Since when did you become pitching coach of the sox? How do you know how much movement his pitches have? You can't tell how much a pitch moves by watching it from the CF cam on tv.

Actually, you can pick up movement by watching on television. You really pick it up when they go to slow motion.

harwar
04-03-2004, 09:47 AM
It sounds to me as if hes' trying to convince himself that he'll be ok.
Its such a big freakin bummer about this guy because hes' got a great attitude about the game.
Hes' just done as far as i can see and i'll be surprised if hes' in a MLB uni next year.

CubKilla
04-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Botch should just shut up and pitch. Problem with that is he's more likely to suffer a neck injury than an arm injury considering he'll get whiplash watching all the bombs launched of the opposition bats. ML hitting tends to feast off of 91 MPH fastballs w/no movement.

It's truly sad when you're "closer" is only as effective as his curveball on any given day.

Pathetic.

ode to veeck
04-03-2004, 12:39 PM
but if he ever combines command with his old heater, he would be a better pitcher than he ever was with Toronto and Oakland.

and if pigs can fly, Koch will lead Sox through the playoffs,

cmon, best case is a miracle that koch picks up his old veclocity and has some effectiveness as somwhat wild reliever with an effective heater, otherwise he's a total wash

bc2k
04-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
and if pigs can fly, Koch will lead Sox through the playoffs,

cmon, best case is a miracle that koch picks up his old veclocity and has some effectiveness as somwhat wild reliever with an effective heater, otherwise he's a total wash

Agreed. Not only do I think Koch will never combine his old MPH with command, I don't think he'll ever obtain even one of those qualities! Ever!

TheRockinMT
04-03-2004, 02:48 PM
You want to hope for the best when it comes to the revival of Billy Koch. He can be a devastating closer when in his right form, but I am concerned with the contradictory analysis from the Sox coaches and Koch over the last 6-8 months.

johnny_mostil
04-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

Read Adair's book on the physics of baseball. All 100+mph pitches are basically flat because the aerodynamics don't work as well as they do at 90.

frontrunner3
04-03-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm going to reserve my judgement on Koch until the season gets underway. Foulke's era is hovering somewhere close to 13 this spring so that goes to show you that spring stats are pretty much for the birds. I can't wait for this show to get underway.