PDA

View Full Version : According to SI there are as many Cardinal fans as Sox fans......

Corlose 15
04-02-2004, 04:38 PM
In the state of Illinois.

In their recent baseball preview issue SI also did its 50 states summary and did Illinois.

As for the question of who is your favorite major league baseball team?

Cubs: 57%
Sox: 13%
Cardinals: 13%

Didn't any of you guys vote? :D: :o:

npdempse
04-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Corlose 15

In their recent baseball preview issue SI also did its 50 states summary and did Illinois.

As for the question of who is your favorite major league baseball team?

Cubs: 57%
Sox: 13%
Cardinals: 13%

Most Sox fans are too smart to read SI. :D:

Well, really, it just goes to show you how badly JR has decimated the fan base. Winning is the ONLY thing that could change that.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-02-2004, 04:47 PM
I think the poll just shows the high amount of bandwagon fans in this state. I noticed some of the other illinois polls on sport franchises and the bulls didn't even get enough votes to be listed in the results.

na_na_na_na
04-02-2004, 05:16 PM
crazy that the bulls wouldn't qualify for the results considering the had the second highest attendance in the NBA this year.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
Well, really, it just goes to show you how badly JR has decimated the fan base. Winning is the ONLY thing that could change that.

NO! It's more than that. We must beat the Cubs! And when we're not playing the Cubs (156 out of 162 games), the Cubs must lose lose lose, this year and every year for most of the entire century!!! Unless the Cubs set an epic record for losing, the Sox will become #2 in this town and nearly invisible and irrelevant to the local media.

Oh, wait...

:gulp:

owensmouth
04-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Why are we surprised that the Cardinals are so popular in the state of Illinois?

Look at a map of the states of Illinois and Missouri. Look where St Louis sits. It's closer to the geographic center of Illinois than Chicago.

Historically, the Cardinals have been far more successful than either our White Sox or the !@#$%^&*( Cubs.

Not only has the Cardinal/Cubs rivalry had over a hundred years to develop, but you can then throw in the natural Chicago/downstate tensions. It all leads to a we and them attitude, and down there the "them" is Chicago.

jackbrohamer
04-02-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm curious about whether the SI "polsters" asked any qualifying questions before asking what team people pull for. Like if they've ever watched a game (as opposed to sat in a park during a game)Based on the results, I doubt it.

Brian26
04-02-2004, 06:57 PM
This actually isn't surprising to me or even a bad thing. Even Peoria, located pretty centrally in the state, is a heavy Cardinals town because of Pete Vonnacan's legacy down there. Everything south of Peoria is Cardinals country. Granted, there's a huge population base around Chicago, Rockford and Naperville, but there's also a heck of a lot of land south of Peoria.

Corlose 15
04-02-2004, 07:01 PM
I guess what I'd be really interested in, is an accurate statistical breakdown of of the city of Chicago. I bet it would be hard though with all the bandwagon, and fair weather fans to get a true percentage.

It would also be interesting to see how different those numbers would have been in the 60's, 70's, early 90's etc.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
This actually isn't surprising to me or even a bad thing. Even Peoria, located pretty centrally in the state, is a heavy Cardinals town because of Pete Vonnacan's legacy down there. Everything south of Peoria is Cardinals country. Granted, there's a huge population base around Chicago, Rockford and Naperville, but there's also a heck of a lot of land south of Peoria.

Yep. I'm damned surprise the Sox even tied the Cardinals. However I've already questioned the validity of this silly poll, so who really knows?

The Cards have a very large following in southern and central Illinois. Unlike the two loser teams in Chicago, the Cards have actually managed to play some decent ball across the past century, even winning a few championships (#1 in the N.L.). Winning tends to help attendance... or at least most of us believe this. There are exceptions of course.

:smile:

faneidde
04-02-2004, 07:21 PM
I live in a rural area with no major sports team closer than 3 hours. (about the same to Indy and St. Loius). And you won't find a bigger group of bandwagoners than these people. 5 years ago no one cared about the Colts, then they start winning and like Magic everyone starts to love em. Same with the Cubs. There were a few Cub fans before they started winning, but as soon as they start winning, everyone loves the Cubs. Argh! It drives me crazy. As a White Sox, Detroit Lions, Blackhawks, and Purdue I really can't stand the bandwagoners. If the Sox have a great year this year and the media falls in love with em like they did the Cubs last year, that 13% will grow to 30% without a problem.

Thunderstruck30
04-03-2004, 12:56 AM
They surveyed only 401 people. That doesnt mean anything. Theres probably more than 401 people on my block alone.

santo=dorf
04-03-2004, 01:36 AM
As I walked over to Bonnie Jean's tonight to get a late night study snack, I noticed that the Illini Inn is having a Cardinal's opening day promotion. I've been hearing from all of my Cub fan friends how they are ditching class to go to the bars and "everyone else is going to the bars on Monday to watch the Cubs." I haven't seen any White Sox promotions at any of the bars yet. GOD I HATE CENTRAL ILLINOIS! :angry:

OurBitchinMinny
04-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Where did they take this poll? Downstate? The northside? Thats bull****. There is no way the cubs have that much of an edge. It bandwagon fans too. What a joke.

Jeremy
04-03-2004, 01:48 AM
yeah, don't get too caught up in that. In the city of Chicago the Cubs are more popular. From Springfield and south, that is all Cardinal territory... I was suprised too when I was down there, but I guess it does make sense because it's closer to St.Louis than Chicago.

Hangar18
04-03-2004, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Jeremy
yeah, don't get too caught up in that. In the city of Chicago the Cubs are more popular. From Springfield and south, that is all Cardinal territory... I was suprised too when I was down there, but I guess it does make sense because it's closer to St.Louis than Chicago.

somewhere among these statistics.......One has to wonder. What has Rob Gallas Been Doing to Earn his Keep?

TaylorStSox
04-03-2004, 06:22 AM
401 people polled :script.

That's really all that matters. It's a big state. The majority of the state lives in Cook county. I'd like to see where those 401 people were from. Mokena and Chicago are totally different.

Railsplitter
04-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Corlose 15

Nobody sent me a ballot

PaleHoseGeorge
04-03-2004, 08:51 AM
For the record, you can do a perfectly reliable scientific poll with as few as 400 participants provided they are selected in a random fashion. 100 participants isn't uncommon for down and dirty statistical work, mostly just to confirm suspected trends.

Having said all this, I'm convinced the 400 participants polled by SI were not randomly selected, I don't care how much SI might claim they were. The Bears-Packers rivalry should easily have topped their list and it didn't even finish among the likeliest responses.

kittle545feet
04-04-2004, 02:47 PM
what did the other 17% think? who are the white sox? (cub fan) whats a baseball? (cub fan) can i vote for the ivy? (cub fan) what about the smell of urine and crappy concessions and poor sightlines? (cub fan) waht about the bars? (cub fan) can i just vote for sammy? (cub fan) lovable losers, you guys suck! :lsox

Procol Harum
04-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Utterly unscientific, but definitely the end-result of years of the Reinsdorf-Gallas magic at work: yesterday my #2 son's Little League team (11-12 yr olds) met for the first time out here in Wheaton--y'know the Western Burbs, what the Sox used to think of as a source of fan support--and when asked who their favorite team was, the count was 9-3 Cubs fans to Sox fans. Sad, sad, sad....

Blueprint1
04-04-2004, 06:19 PM
That does not mean much back in 92 when i was 12 i would say most kids said they were sox fans. Thats because alot of kids like the team that is winning at the time.