PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of THESE Baseball picks ?


Grobber33
04-02-2004, 11:38 AM
I have made my HONEST picks for Baseball 2004. Any surprises?
www.grobber.com

Mickster
04-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Agree with all (including Cubs placing 3rd) with the exception of Padres in the west. I still think it's SF's to lose, even with their decimated pitching staff.

WinningUgly!
04-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Grobber33
I have made my HONEST picks for Baseball 2004. Any surprises?
www.grobber.com
Wow Les! I guess you've endured way too many Cubbie dissapointments over the years, to even pick them this year. I know you're hoping like hell that you're wrong, but I'm not. :D:

gogosoxgogo
04-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Wow, I'm really surprised. I'm actually going to say the Cubs get second, though. St. Louis still has no pitching outside of Morris, Williams, and Izzy.

SSN721
04-02-2004, 12:16 PM
I think they are pretty fair picks, except I also the think the Cubs will come in second at least. Unless of course Prior is out all year, I think they have enough pitching depth to carry them for a month or two without him. I love your San Diego pick, I completely agree with that and hope they do well.

cheeses_h_rice
04-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Wow, Les, you and are almost reversed.

I have the Flubs finishing 2nd, and the Sox 3rd.

jeremyb1
04-02-2004, 12:28 PM
I'm impressed for the most part. Even with Prior out I think there's a good chance the Cubs top the Cards. I think the wild card has to come from the central or maybe the east but not the west. The Angels have become a really big pick in the AL West because people like big offseason moves but I think the A's take it pretty easily. They're going to be in a situation where they're fifth starter is better than most club's first and their offense is going to improve a ton just by getting rid of Long and improvement from Dye.

OEO Magglio
04-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I'm impressed for the most part. Even with Prior out I think there's a good chance the Cubs top the Cards. I think the wild card has to come from the central or maybe the east but not the west. The Angels have become a really big pick in the AL West because people like big offseason moves but I think the A's take it pretty easily. They're going to be in a situation where they're fifth starter is better than most club's first and their offense is going to improve a ton just by getting rid of Long and improvement from Dye.
I agree that the cubs will finish ahead of the cards, the cards rotation is just bad, and I think the a's and angels will have a great race in the west, I think alot with the a's depends on how Arthur Rhodes can do being the closer, cause he wasn't great last year with seattle.

Tekijawa
04-02-2004, 12:35 PM
I like the Choice of Both San Diego and Anehiem for the West Divisions. I do However believe that Baltimore and not the Redsox will be the AL Wildcard and the NL wildcard will come out of the Central, between the Cubs and Cards...

jeremyb1
04-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I agree that the cubs will finish ahead of the cards, the cards rotation is just bad, and I think the a's and angels will have a great race in the west, I think alot with the a's depends on how Arthur Rhodes can do being the closer, cause he wasn't great last year with seattle.

True but guys have downseasons all the time. Look at Foulke's rough first half in '02. If there is a physical problem as with Koch or they are aging there's a serious problem but neither of those seem to be the case with Rhodes. He probably just had a bad or unlucky season.

kraut83
04-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I like the Choice of Both San Diego and Anehiem for the West Divisions. I do However believe that Baltimore and not the Redsox will be the AL Wildcard and the NL wildcard will come out of the Central, between the Cubs and Cards...

I thought I was the only one who didn't see Boston as a playoff team. I think their clubhouse atmosphere has got to be a real question with the nomar mess this winter & I think they are a Pedro or Schilling injury away from trouble. I think wild card goes to Oak.

Good picks Les. SD is an interesting choice.

jabrch
04-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Nice picks Les - I agree with most of them. I have the Cubs finishing 2nd - behind Houston, but getting the wildcard.

OEO Magglio
04-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
True but guys have downseasons all the time. Look at Foulke's rough first half in '02. If there is a physical problem as with Koch or they are aging there's a serious problem but neither of those seem to be the case with Rhodes. He probably just had a bad or unlucky season.
Definitely, I just think that's the key in the a's being able to beat the angels in that division.

Vsahajpal
04-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Les, Kerry Robinson was traded to San Diego for the equally lousy Brian Hunter.

Hangar18
04-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Your Picks are all well thought out Les, good job

doublem23
04-02-2004, 07:18 PM
I don't know if you'd known about the Royals putting 5 pitchers on the DL when you made these, but I would pick Cleveland over Kansas City now.

DrCrawdad
04-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Grobber33
I have made my HONEST picks for Baseball 2004. Any surprises?
www.grobber.com

Cubs 3rd, Sox 1st. Hum...

Les, when have you picked the Cubs to finish first and then they've under achieved?

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that at least in the last few years, IIRC, you've picked the Cubs to finish below the Sox. Thereby the Cubs can just about only do better than you've predicted and the Sox, unless they finish in first, will only under achieve.

I predict the Sox will finish in 4th place and the Cubs will finish 1st and then win the World Series.

Grobber33
04-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Cubs 3rd, Sox 1st. Hum...

Les, when have you picked the Cubs to finish first and then they've under achieved?

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that at least in the last few years, IIRC, you've picked the Cubs to finish below the Sox. Thereby the Cubs can just about only do better than you've predicted and the Sox, unless they finish in first, will only under achieve.

I predict the Sox will finish in 4th place and the Cubs will finish 1st and then win the World Series.

DOC,DOC,DOC....You're grasping for straws again!! I posted my honest picks--what I THINK will happen based on spending two separate weeklong trips to Arizona. We all know darned well you dont think the Sox will finish 4th and the Cubs will win the whole thing,especially if Prior is out untill July or the entire year which are both possible. Other than undercutting your Sox pick for the reason you think I made my picks,,,how can you think the Sox will finish 4th,,meaning that either Cleveland or Detroit would beat them out?? The Sox would have to unload Lee,Ordonez,Thomas,Loaiza and Buehrle for that to happen.
Picking the Cards and Astros ahead of the Cubs makes more sense than that.