PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 4.2.04

Hangar18
04-02-2004, 09:00 AM
Mike Kiley is Pure Propoganda Genius. He takes the time to Call out Ex-Sox pitcher Jack McDowell for raising suspicion and speculating about The Messiahs possible Steroid use and the reason for his injuries. Kiley goes thru Great Lengths to angle the story (Taking Jacks comments out of Context and informing Prior that Jack said he was indeed on steroids) Of course, that in turn and rightly so, made Prior say something contrary.
Only later in the article does KILEY credit McDowell for saying the steroid use 'Was possible". Make no mistake, Kiley PLANTED this article so as to incense cub fans, and to call out any Media types who dare Accuse the The Messiah of anything out of the ordinary. Kiley also implies yet again, that fans shouldnt believe everything they read/hear, quoting Prior saying he will be ok and throwing in a few days. (hasnt kiley figured out that hes been writing that for a month now?)

Wait...this gets better.
Kiley uses this article to vindicate Dusty Baker for his "McCarthyism" comments, saying McDowells comments were proof that Dusty was right. Dusty, following Kileys lead with the question, gives the token "I-told-you-so" comment.
Mr Kiley, what is your job ? This article has to be one of the most Propoganda Filled BullJunk Ive read in quite some time. This ranks right up there with his "praise the roofowners for signing maddux" bs from a month ago. lost in all this was the sox actually outdoing the cubs today
Chicago CUbune:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories

Chicago CUbTimes:
2 cub stories
3 sox stories

Standings since spring training:

CUBS 279
SOX 166

Hangar18
04-02-2004, 09:52 AM
:sahaf

" .... the Evil perpetrator, Jack McDowell, how dare he try to put two and two together! The Evil Sox Regime, like the Great serpent, will be Toppled and Crushed for daring to speak against the Messiah mr Prior. Mr Prior is not hurt, it is all Propoganda, he threw baseball yesterday 100 miles-per-hour, how can he do that and be Hurt? Mr Prior has assured me this is all propoganda ........... would his Greatness Lie ?"

Dan H
04-02-2004, 01:15 PM
I agree with you in part, Hanger. Kiley is as biased as they come, and this story was written as Cubbie propaganda. Prior may not like the speculation, but until the public is assured about the steroid problem, everyone is under suspicion.

However, I think anyone who starts linking a player to steriods has to be careful about that. I think you have to do more than put "two and two together" before you speak publicly. You can't make an inference or accusation with scant evidence, and I would want to know before I would accuse Prior of anything. So I think McDowell should have been more careful.

As far as Baker goes, the Dust man is getting old. Baseball has a serious problem here. Hiding behind political slogans isn't going to help.

People attack Jay Mariotti for a host of things, but this Kiley article was pathetic. Kiley should have contacted McDowell and heard for himself what McDowell had to say. Instead he runs to Prior and Baker with comments made to other people, comments not necessarily put in proper context. McDowell should have been more careful; Kiley should have been more ethical.

ShoelessFred
04-02-2004, 01:22 PM
"ethics? we don't need no stinking ethics, when i comes to talking bout the cubs."

too bad this is the motto with most of the chicago media.

mweflen
04-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Good ol' Dusty is just trying to cover his behind so that he doesn't fry in public for turning a blind eye to (or perhaps encouraging?) Barry Bonds and Marvin Benard in San Fran.

Plus, he has a new "innocent victim of speculation" to defend, his current slugger du jour.

Oh, how I long for the days when corking your bat was how you cheated at baseball...

BeerHandle
04-02-2004, 10:08 PM
I love this daily update. I hope Gallas is paying attention. Can Gallas post some type of response on this site!

Dan H
04-03-2004, 07:47 AM
McDowell has issued an apology to Prior as well he should. Speculation in private is one thing, doing in public is another. I am no fan of Mike Kiley, but McDowell was acting irresponsible in this case. The steriod problem needs a real examination by the media and people involved in the game. This wasn't the way to do it. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?