PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL "SS Clayton should be benched/traded because..."

PaleHoseGeorge
09-09-2001, 03:50 PM
This is the OFFICIAL THREAD for explaining reasons why shortstop Royce Clayton should be either benched or traded. (Clayton is a career shortstop and hasn't played anwhere else in ten seasons).

Use this thread to either support or refute another position on the subject.

Go Sox!

-PHG

dimaisback
09-09-2001, 03:52 PM
he jsut ran us out of the inning

Spiff
09-09-2001, 03:52 PM
He doesn't have enough power.

danman31
09-09-2001, 03:54 PM
Because he can't even hit .270 vs Valentin's solid power numbers and good average when healthy . Royce plain old sucks. If Valentin gets traded there will be trouble, unless we get a good catcher/ss for him. The SS would obviously send Royce"The wrong choice"Clayton to the bench.

ode to veeck
09-09-2001, 04:01 PM
gee, making the third out at third in a one run game, that was almost on cue to George's posting of the new threads

the point being here, baserunning, which really got the discussion heated up the other day, royce's base stealing abilitiies used to be pretyy good, but have really declined last 3 years while ...

... the real point is manos is an exemplary base runner, no one's got more concentration on the basepaths than manos,
the pitch touches the dirt or gets bobbled by the catcher & he's on second

running and hitting and obp and scoring runs, manos plays into that formula of sox success while royce is mainly detremental

NUKE_CLEVELAND
09-09-2001, 04:11 PM
He has no range, no power & above all... NO FREEKIN BRAINS!!

El Train
09-09-2001, 04:44 PM
He hasn't done anything remotely helpful all year
Put Valentin SS and let crede develop at 3B for the rest of the year. Better to have Valentin's defense than Clayton's offense.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-09-2001, 04:48 PM
A young pitching staff is most confident when they know the guys behind them turn the league's most double-plays.

Clayton turns fewer double-plays.

Tavarin
09-09-2001, 04:56 PM
Because when he throws the ball, it is a floater, giving the baserunner a better chance of getting to first before the ball gets there.

Daver
09-09-2001, 05:22 PM
Royce shold be pelted with rocks and garbage before being traded,as a way for Sox fans to vent their frustration over his anemic bat and lack of range in the feild,not to mention that noodle like he thing he calls a throwing arm.
But maybe it's just me.

doublem23
09-09-2001, 05:41 PM
How do you spell bad shortstop? C-L-A-Y-T-O-N.

No range, no arm, no brains, no bat, and is an unfriendly, surly clubhouse cancer.

OutcastRadio
09-09-2001, 05:54 PM
Because he tried to steal third base before the pitch was thrown.....Against a pitcher with a tendency to lose control and who had just thrown 4 straight balls high and wide.

because he dogged it in the first inning on Lofton;s grounder, which allowed him to score in front of JuanGone's blast.

FarWestChicago
09-09-2001, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Outcast Radio
Because he tried to steal third base before the pitch was thrown.....Against a pitcher with a tendency to lose control and who had just thrown 4 straight balls high and wide.

because he dogged it in the first inning on Lofton;s grounder, which allowed him to score in front of JuanGone's blast.

In other words, you like seeing Clayton play short for us? :)

PaleHoseGeorge
09-09-2001, 07:29 PM
As a shortstop Valentin's bat makes him one of the best offensive shortstops in the league. However those same numbers wouldn't come close to being good enough for DH--thus Clayton's limp bat becomes expendable.

LongDistanceFan
09-10-2001, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
As a shortstop Valentin's bat makes him one of the best offensive shortstops in the league. However those same numbers wouldn't come close to being good enough for DH--thus Clayton's limp bat becomes expendable.

Trade him if possible.
First half stats
no "d"
No arm
no base running skills or its declining very fast
Val lead the league in doulbe plays.

harwar
09-10-2001, 11:42 AM
Clayton doesn't have very many supporters in here and i believe he has very few on the Sox.I've heard that hes' hard to get along with unless everything is going his way.I would say keep him as a bench player to give Jose days off and in case Valentin goes down(GOD FORBID) but i know that he would never go along with that.Trading him would be a good option which(if you believe the rumors) is what the Sox got him for in the first place.Valentin is smarter,a clubhouse leader,has better range,a better arm,and is a better offensive player.They pretty much have to move this guy before spring training.

my5thbench
09-10-2001, 11:53 AM
his teamates & coaches all dislike Royce....Jose is the

leader on this team...get Clayton out of town!

Iguana775
09-10-2001, 01:25 PM
he is the armless, legless, and hitless wonder that is making WAY too much money. his money could be better spent else where.

Clarkdog
09-10-2001, 05:18 PM
Dump Clayton.

You can always instruct and improve defense. If the Sox want to win it all, they should tell Valentin to work on his defense in the off-season. He is a leader and would do it.

Hitting is instinctive and selective. Valentin has it, Clayton does not. It's not something you coach.

But if you could change a hitter, Clayton would never want to do what it takes to get it done, Valentin would and that is the biggest difference.

doublem23
09-10-2001, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
his money could be better spent else where.

:keith
Ahem...

kermittheefrog
09-10-2001, 11:54 PM
*dum* *dum* *dum*

Return of the frog. Is it just me or is it sad that the Sox are negociating with Durham who is entering the decline of his career and paying Clayton who is worthless but can't pay Foulke?

Signing Foulke to an extension should be top priority, he's one of the best relievers in baseball, it's not like there are many guys in baseball who can replace him. Give him what he wants, he's one of the few guys who deserves it.

doublem23
09-10-2001, 11:55 PM
Stick a healthy Valentin and Thomas behind Ray Ray and suddenly he's back to his old self.

GASHWOUND
09-11-2001, 05:59 AM
I know everybody wants to get rid of Claytot but if you guys haven't noticed, our defense SUCKS and he happens to be our best defensive player. And at the most important position. His bat is even know valuable. He's hitting over .350 after the ALLStar break. If we get rid of him, than what? Worst defense...ever?

Mathew
09-16-2001, 05:44 AM
Because he is a waste of space, flesch and oxygen. I would harp on his worthless bat and brutal attitude but I think it would be more practical to try to find good things to say about him. Can't think of any though, but I'm not patient or quick to forgive the start he had.

Dadawg_77
09-16-2001, 11:08 PM
Its simple, Clayton sucks and Jose is much better player. End of story.