PDA

View Full Version : If spring stats were meaningful...

A. Cavatica
04-01-2004, 10:35 PM
...the Sox would field eight position players with batting averages of .333 or better. Platooning PK & Gload (each currently batting .328) might make it nine.

...Maggs would hit over .400, but not win the batting title.

...a statue of Greg Walker would be erected outside the Cell.

...Garland would go undefeated.

...Schoeneweis would contend for the league lead in strikeouts and keep his ERA under 10.

idseer
04-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
...the Sox would field eight position players with batting averages of .333 or better. Platooning PK & Gload (each currently batting .328) might make it nine.

...Maggs would hit over .400, but not win the batting title.

...a statue of Greg Walker would be erected outside the Cell.

...Garland would go undefeated.

...Schoeneweis would contend for the league lead in strikeouts and keep his ERA under 10.

just remember ... konerko hit over .400 last spring! :D:

gogosoxgogo
04-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Schoeneweis would contend for the league lead in strikeouts and keep his ERA under 10.

I think the second part of that actually has a pretty good chance of happening. Maybe I'm just being a little too optimistic.

Daver
04-01-2004, 11:00 PM
If ST stats meant a thing,Jeff Liefer would be a perenial All-Star.

doublem23
04-02-2004, 01:39 AM
And the Brewers would be World Series contenders.

SSN721
04-02-2004, 07:18 AM
I also think that spring stats are relatively meaningless. Give you a little clue as to what is going on but players always seem to either tank or turn it up a notch once the season actually starts. The one thing I seem to notice on these boards though is that depending on what player they are arguing for ST stats are either meaningless, or they are used to show how good a player is. So which one is? I just don't like the hypocrisy of putting up a player on pedestal or already condemning them to regular season doom based on their ST performance. Thats why I just don't understand why we can either be so down or excited about some players when we are just working with their ST numbers. I'm going to wait til the season starts before I start condemning every player on the club.

idseer
04-02-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I also think that spring stats are relatively meaningless. Give you a little clue as to what is going on but players always seem to either tank or turn it up a notch once the season actually starts. The one thing I seem to notice on these boards though is that depending on what player they are arguing for ST stats are either meaningless, or they are used to show how good a player is. So which one is? I just don't like the hypocrisy of putting up a player on pedestal or already condemning them to regular season doom based on their ST performance. Thats why I just don't understand why we can either be so down or excited about some players when we are just working with their ST numbers. I'm going to wait til the season starts before I start condemning every player on the club .

you plan on condemning every player on the club?

SSN721
04-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by idseer
you plan on condemning every player on the club?

No, I don't plan on condemning anyone until I feel they deserve it, which I don't think anyone does because I don't put much credence in ST stats. I am just saying that is sure seems like everyone else has already condemned a lot of this team based on ST stats, which I think is crazy. Especially when so many people on this site also say that ST stats are meaningless, I don't really understand that.

idseer
04-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
No, I don't plan on condemning anyone until I feel they deserve it, which I don't think anyone does because I don't put much credence in ST stats. I am just saying that is sure seems like everyone else has already condemned a lot of this team based on ST stats, which I think is crazy. Especially when so many people on this site also say that ST stats are meaningless, I don't really understand that.

i guess i should have put a :smile: after my question.

SSN721
04-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by idseer
i guess i should have put a :smile: after my question.

My apologies, I guess all the severe negativity on this site has made me very defensive. :D:

Mickster
04-02-2004, 10:25 AM
If springs stats were meaningful...

Minnesota would win the division.....

chisox06
04-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
If springs stats were meaningful...

Minnesota would win the division.....

Which shows how meaningless spring stats are.....I hope.