PDA

View Full Version : Tigers trade for a lefty.

fuzzy_patters
04-01-2004, 03:28 PM
The Tigers aquired left-handed reliever Steve Colyer from the Dodgers today. Colyer had a 2.75 ERA for LA last year and is 25 years old. Colyer's AAA ERA was 3.21.

The Dodgers received a 23 year old, left-handed hitting outfielder named Cody Ross. Ross hit .287-20-61-.515 last year with AAA Toledo Mudhens.

Was this Ross supposed to be much of a prospect, or are the Tigers really desperate for a lefty? It sounds fishy that this guy had a lower ERA at Chavez-Ravine than he had in AAA. That sounds ballpark induced.MLB.COM article (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040401&content_id=675351&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp)

HomeFish
04-01-2004, 03:29 PM
April fools?

fuzzy_patters
04-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
April fools?

I think I could come up with a bigger trade than that for an April Fool's joke.

The trade is noteworthy because the Tigers are in our division, and we have to play them 19 times. Were they needing a lefty? I haven't paid much attention to them.

delben91
04-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
I think I could come up with a bigger trade than that for an April Fool's joke.

The trade is noteworthy because the Tigers are in our division, and we have to play them 19 times. Were they needing a lefty? I haven't paid much attention to them.

I haven't been paying attention to them either, but I'd venture that outside of catcher the Tigers are likely looking for help anywhere they can get it...everyone out there probably gets a look from them.

Chisoxfn
04-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Coyler is a pretty good reliever. Has a good fastball and should be a good addition. Don't know much about Ross, but those are very solid numbers. Then again, look at Mike Rivera's numbers in Toledo (or the Tigers organization in general) and they were really impressive, so I'm going to guess Toledo is a hitters park.

Still at 23, sounds like a solid prospect to give up for a lefty reliever, but like I say, I don't know anything about the Ross other then what his stats say.

Whitesox029
04-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
The Tigers aquired left-handed reliever Steve Colyer from the Dodgers today. Colyer had a 2.75 ERA for LA last year and is 25 years old. Colyer's AAA ERA was 3.21.

Well nowwe know for sure who's going to be winning the AL Central in 2004.