PDA

View Full Version : SOX Website Needs Work!

Rush20
04-01-2004, 03:11 PM
I just visited the SOX website to see if any new rennovation photos were up. If you wait on the main page, the main picture switched to a promo for Opening Day 2004 - US Cellular Field.

The photo is with the old upper deck/outfield with very few fans in the seats shot from the angle of the worst seat in the house. WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS?!?!?!

PR 101 would tell me to take a photo of a sell out crowd (Sox-Cubs) to showcase the fun. Not some early April game against Detroit when the weather is 30 degrees and there are 5000 fans in attenance.

I think the SOX PR/media team should be forced to watch Cubs games on WGN to get a better idea how to sell a ballpark environment. Love em' or hate em' - the Cubs staff knows how to market their team.

:?:

dllrbll7
04-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Ya the pic is back from preremodeling era too with the big bullpens cut into the bleachers

gosox3072
04-01-2004, 04:53 PM
I noticed that too, it made me laugh :D:

DSpivack
04-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Just shows the greatness that is the White Sox PR Department.

scottyl
04-01-2004, 06:16 PM
I noticed that other teams have the same opening day graphic (ballpark with tickets)--but with each team's respective ballpark. What I'm saying is that the sites don't seem to be all that different from team to team. How much control do individual people within the White Sox have over the look of the page? Has MLB subcontracted all of their Web work out to some company?

pinwheels3530
04-02-2004, 05:42 AM
Scotty do you work for the sox?

TDog
04-02-2004, 12:17 PM
The Sox had a much better Web site before MLB took over all teams' sites. There were a few cool features that no longer exist.

With one link, you could plug in your seat, and it would show you its perspective of the field. (Granted, it went section by section, so your view would vary according to your tier.) MLB has no interest in providing such a feature because there are so many obstructed seats in the beloved ballparks. You really can't blame Wrigley field patrons for not watching the game when they're sitting behind posts.

ewokpelts
04-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by TDog
The Sox had a much better Web site before MLB took over all teams' sites. There were a few cool features that no longer exist.

With one link, you could plug in your seat, and it would show you its perspective of the field. (Granted, it went section by section, so your view would vary according to your tier.) MLB has no interest in providing such a feature because there are so many obstructed seats in the beloved ballparks. You really can't blame Wrigley field patrons for not watching the game when they're sitting behind posts.

they have a "look at your section" feature on the site. look at the seating and pricing section
Gene

TDog
04-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
they have a "look at your section" feature on the site. look at the seating and pricing section
Gene

I stand corrected. That's fairly close to what they used to have on the old Web site. Still, there are a few unique features about the old team sites I miss since MLB standardized everything. The Cleveland Indians-run site, for example, used to have the seldom-sung words to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" for "true fans" who wanted to sing more than the chorus. (I am sure Harry Caray died without knowing the words to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," although considering his mental state, that's not going out on a limb.) If that's still there, I can't find it.

soxrme
04-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by TDog

You are right, it was much better. This must have been another one of Bud's great ideas that does nothing but aggrevate fans.

scottyl
04-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
Scotty do you work for the sox?

HA! No. ...why, are they hiring?

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-02-2004, 01:57 PM
I noticed it, too. I hate how a ton of websites always have a picture of comiskey from the 90's with no one in it when they mention the stadium in an article. It's so annoying.

bahn1225
04-02-2004, 08:44 PM
This is not meant to be just a "me too" post but it seems that the website has become even worse in the last few months.

It has to be MLB's fault.
If you remember the website before the MLB made them all vanilla
they had a lot of nice features.

Who remembers the SOXCAM?

It was also interesting to see what other teams did.
No more.
They're all the same.
Remember; competition is a bad thing.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by bahn1225
This is not meant to be just a "me too" post but it seems that the website has become even worse in the last few months.

It has to be MLB's fault.
If you remember the website before the MLB made them all vanilla
they had a lot of nice features.

Who remembers the SOXCAM?

It was also interesting to see what other teams did.
No more.
They're all the same.
Remember; competition is a bad thing.

I have to give credit where credit is due. The pre-MLB Sox site (2000) was one of the best "official" sites out there, if not the very best. The layout was nice, the features interesting, and the message boards popular. MLB ruined every bit of it, and made everything vanilla across all 30 teams, too.

Could screw up a one-car funeral ------> :tool

Daver
04-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Someone should come up with an alternative site for the fans to visit.

hempsox
04-02-2004, 09:01 PM
The Pre-MLB run sox site WAS the best. The main reason that I joined WSI for the first time was because of the loss of that site. The chat feature was kinda fun at the time also...

PaleHoseGeorge
04-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Someone should come up with an alternative site for the fans to visit.

Yeah, good idea.

:smile: