PDA

View Full Version : Fair analysis of the AL Central

MRKARNO
04-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Chicago White Sox

Dream

If the White Sox clubhouse buys what Ozzie Guillen (words and laughs) is selling, this team could be one of the biggest playoff surprises of 2004.
Mark Buehrle, Esteban Loaiza, Jon Garland, Scott Schoeneweis and Danny Wright might make up the best starting rotation in this division -- believe it or not. If that's the case -- with this group of sluggers -- this is the division-title favorite.
If Joe Crede, Willie Harris and Aaron Rowand take the next step to being major-league regulars, it's equivalent to signing a trio of free agents, which the White Sox have none of. The lack of a talent infusion won't matter if all three are as good as the White Sox believe. Also, reserve Juan Uribe has long had the tools, if he could only start showing them off.

Disaster

Guillen proves to be much better at talking about being a good manager than actually doing it. He doesn't have an easy task in Chicago, and when things go downhill, they go down hard and fast.
Loaiza proves he was nothing more than a flash in the pan. One of the 2003's biggest surprises could be one of 2004's biggest busts.
Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez is as meaty as it gets in this division, but if the pitching and manager fail, it will all get broken up quickly. Expect a fire sale if things get out of hand.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7221041

Dan H
04-01-2004, 06:12 PM
MRKARNO:

As your dream analysis goes, many things have to fall into place for the Sox to have a great year. In your disaster, many things have to go wrong. That is why is hard to predict this team. I think they will win the division, but that doesn't overly excite me. You need to take it to the next level to advance in the playoffs, not just hope to get hot after a so-so season.

That pitching rotation still has me scared. I don't think there is much after #1 and 2, and may not much after #1. I will have to see this team play some consistent ball for a while before I really believe.