PDA

View Full Version : Jason Grilli sent to Charlotte

ChiSox14305635
04-01-2004, 01:04 PM
I wonder if the Sox were able to swing a deal with the Fish then?

Iwritecode
04-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
I wonder if the Sox were able to swing a deal with the Fish then?

Any links?

SEALgep
04-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Any links? It was on the Score. Didn't say anything other than that he was assignd to Charlotte. I'm not sure a deal was worked out or not.

anewman35
04-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
It was on the Score. Didn't say anything other than that he was assignd to Charlotte. I'm not sure a deal was worked out or not.

Well, one must have been, or the Marlins must have not wanted to pay the $25,000 to get him back, right? I don't think it's possible for him to be in Charlotte otherwise...

Mickster
04-01-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Well, one must have been, or the Marlins must have not wanted to pay the $25,000 to get him back, right? I don't think it's possible for him to be in Charlotte otherwise...

Not only would the Marlins have to refuse tro pay $25K, he would also have to clear waivers from all MLB teams. A deal was most likely worked out..

Iwritecode
04-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Not only would the Marlins have to refuse tro pay $25K, he would also have to clear waivers from all MLB teams. A deal was most likely worked out..

I'm pretty sure it was reported yesterday that he'd already cleared waivers.

sas1974
04-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Mickster

I suppose it is possible that he may have cleared waivers and that the Marlins didn't want him. I mean we didn't want him on the big club and we have seen him every day. Why would someone else what to pick him up? I think that if he was picked up by another team, that team would have to add him to their 25-man or THEY would have to deal w/ the Marlins. I could be wrong, but I think the same rules would apply to them.

SEALgep
04-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I suppose it is possible that he may have cleared waivers and that the Marlins didn't want him. I mean we didn't want him on the big club and we have seen him every day. Why would someone else what to pick him up? I think that if he was picked up by another team, that team would have to add him to their 25-man or THEY would have to deal w/ the Marlins. I could be wrong, but I think the same rules would apply to them. It would, but the Marlins were disappointed to see him go when we picked him up. It's not that the Sox don't want him, he was almost our long reliever. If he stays on our team, I'd imagine we'll see him again fairly soon.

sas1974
04-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
It would, but the Marlins were disappointed to see him go when we picked him up. It's not that the Sox don't want him, he was almost our long reliever. If he stays on our team, I'd imagine we'll see him again fairly soon.

I didn't mean that they don't want him on the team or don't want anything to do w/ him. I just meant that they didn't want him on the big club yet. He just didn't quite "make the cut" in their eyes. My point was that we have seen him all spring and know what he can do, yet we would still rather send him down to AAA. Why would some other team, that probably hasn't seen him pitch once, jump to grab a guy that we're sending to AAA? They probably wouldn't. That was all that I was saying. It's all hypothetical of course until we get the official word.

Tekijawa
04-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
He just didn't quite "make the cut" in their eyes. My point was that we have seen him all spring and know what he can do, yet we would still rather send him down to AAA.

I think it was more along the lines of there was just too much over paid, expensive, and Underperforming crap ahead of him...

NotSince1917
04-01-2004, 01:58 PM
The Marlins denounced their rights to Grilli (opting to keep the $50K and forgoing having to negotiate a deal) and since he had already cleared waivers, the Sox could send him wherever they wanted.

My prediction is that he'll be with the Sox sooner rather than later, likely by May as the club continues to look for someone in the bullpen to gets outs consistently.

SEALgep
04-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by NotSince1917
The Marlins denounced their rights to Grilli (opting to keep the $50K and forgoing having to negotiate a deal) and since he had already cleared waivers, the Sox could send him wherever they wanted.

Better yet. Gee that was nice of them, lol. Works out for both of us then.

lowesox
04-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by NotSince1917

My prediction is that he'll be with the Sox sooner rather than later, likely by May as the club continues to look for someone in the bullpen to gets outs consistently.

I have a feeling he's going to put up some very stellar numbers in AAA.

Soxfest
04-01-2004, 07:30 PM
I am glad Florida let us keep him for only 50,000 I like his arm .

depy48
04-01-2004, 08:37 PM
he'll be on the southside by mid may

SEALgep
04-01-2004, 09:06 PM
If anybody goes down, it will be a little easier to take with him as an option still.

owensmouth
04-02-2004, 12:16 AM
This was part of a post on ChicagoWhiteSox.com:

"More on Grilli: Despite being a Rule 5 selection, the White Sox were able to keep Grilli without providing Florida with any compensation. Usually, a team must keep a Rule 5 pick on the 25-man roster the entire year or offer him back to the prior club.

Since Grilli had a prior outright in his career, the rules allowed him to become a free agent when he was outrighted again off the roster. Grilli cleared waivers, and knowing that he would not return to Florida, the Marlins renounced his rights without compensation. The White Sox made a deal to keep the right-hander. "

SEALgep
04-02-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
This was part of a post on ChicagoWhiteSox.com:

"More on Grilli: Despite being a Rule 5 selection, the White Sox were able to keep Grilli without providing Florida with any compensation. Usually, a team must keep a Rule 5 pick on the 25-man roster the entire year or offer him back to the prior club.

Since Grilli had a prior outright in his career, the rules allowed him to become a free agent when he was outrighted again off the roster. Grilli cleared waivers, and knowing that he would not return to Florida, the Marlins renounced his rights without compensation. The White Sox made a deal to keep the right-hander. " He probably would have walked, but the Sox expressed to him how much they like him and basically that he was part of their future plans. That prompted him to stay with us, and I'm glad he did. He can still make an impact this year. He can become a starter (not necessarily this year but possibly), but at the very least he has the stuff to be a real solid long reliever.