PDA

View Full Version : 1984 in reverse........


soxnut
04-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Ok let's say this happens. For now, the Cubs have the high expectations, and the Sox don't(media-wise, I'm talking). In'84, it was the other way around expectation-wise.

So what happens in '04 if the Cubs(where there are high expectaions) fall apart(ala '84 Sox), and the Sox(where there are no expectations)(ala '84 Cubs) at least make it to the LCS? What happens to all of this Cubbie coverage? And what happens to the coverage of the Sox? Anyone??

DrummerGeorgefan
04-01-2004, 11:24 AM
I would agree....the pitching situation is dead on. Bring in an aging future HOFer, close to 300 wins, a young stud who becomes injured.....etc.....

SSN721
04-01-2004, 11:32 AM
I think it will be as much coverage for the Cubs or perhaps more than usual just because they will have to come up with so many creative excuses for the collapse of the greatest team ever assembled in the history of baseball. :(:

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Ok let's say this happens.

So what happens in '04 if the Cubs(where there are high expectaions) fall apart(ala '84 Sox), and the Sox(where there are no expectations)(ala '84 Cubs) at least make it to the LCS? What happens to all of this Cubbie coverage? And what happens to the coverage of the Sox? Anyone??

Well, if all things being EQUAL and CONSTANT, and the THE CHICAGO MEDIA truly is un-biased.....the following will happen.
The WhiteSox will Enjoy a 20-year Run of Chicago Media Flaunting, Mythologizing, and Overwhelmingly positive coverage.
The SOX will Double and Triple the amount of coverage the cubs get, from tv shows, talk shows, etc etc. A few generations of SOX fans will be borne into this 20-year Infomercial, and workers on the Mars Space Station (to be built) will Cheer the Fact they are able to Receive White SOX broadcasts exclusively......

Of course, that is if the Chicago Media is Equal and Constant.
Your Question Can/Will be answered come October, November and December of 2004. Stay Tuned .....................................

Tekijawa
04-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
So what happens in '04 if the Cubs(where there are high expectaions) fall apart(ala '84 Sox), and the Sox(where there are no expectations)(ala '84 Cubs) at least make it to the LCS? What happens to all of this Cubbie coverage? And what happens to the coverage of the Sox? Anyone??

No one but us 28,000 sox fans would know about it... The trib would put out a special insert 2005 cubs Preview for the entire post season... We'd get one article about how much better we would be if Alomar, Colon and Everett were still here.

soxnut
04-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Well, if all things being EQUAL and CONSTANT, and the THE CHICAGO MEDIA truly is un-biased.....the following will happen.
The WhiteSox will Enjoy a 20-year Run of Chicago Media Flaunting, Mythologizing, and Overwhelmingly positive coverage.
The SOX will Double and Triple the amount of coverage the cubs get, from tv shows, talk shows, etc etc. A few generations of SOX fans will be borne into this 20-year Infomercial, and workers on the Mars Space Station (to be built) will Cheer the Fact they are able to Receive White SOX broadcasts exclusively......

Of course, that is if the Chicago Media is Equal and Constant.
Cant wait to see how that pans out .....................................


I love you're answer Hangar :D:

Railsplitter
04-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
I would agree....the pitching situation is dead on. Bring in an aging future HOFer, close to 300 wins, a young stud who becomes injured.....etc.....

Yeah, the compariosons between 1984 and this year are intersting, only they are reverse of today.

DSpivack
04-01-2004, 05:10 PM
1984 Cubs acquired Rick Sutcliffe down the stretch.... Who would the Sox acquire?

Daver
04-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
1984 Cubs acquired Rick Sutcliffe down the stretch.... Who would the Sox acquire?


Jason Dellaero.

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
1984 Cubs acquired Rick Sutcliffe down the stretch.... Who would the Sox acquire?


HEY !!!!! Good point here. the Flubbies got Sutcliffe down
the Stretch and he helped out big time. All off-season, when the Media was in its infant stages of Cubpoganda and Shock & Awe, they kept saying "1985, will have a FULL season of the RedBaron". haahahahah. The Flubbies last year were given Ramirez, Lofton, Simon and all were hearing now is "2004, a FULL season of Aramis". Oh man.............I totally see
the similarities now.......Pitchers getting hurt, etc......

ivancalderon
04-01-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
I would agree....the pitching situation is dead on. Bring in an aging future HOFer, close to 300 wins, a young stud who becomes injured.....etc.....

The similarities here are pretty eerie. All we need is for Kerry Wood to develop a nasty coke habit, and we will truly be looking at 1984 in reverse.