PDA

View Full Version : Milton Bradley?

Jerko
04-01-2004, 10:55 AM
I know nothing may happen, but should we take a shot at this guy if gets 'cut'? I know he's a head case, but when he's on he's not a bad player. And just think of all the promotions we can run with his name!

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7223880[/URL]

sas1974
04-01-2004, 11:04 AM
SORRY. I think we'd be in TROUBLE if we picked up UNO more outfielder. What kind of OPERATION do you think we're running here? This isn't CANDYLAND you know.

...ok so some of those are actually Parker Brother's games. Sue me! Wait...please don't!

Tekijawa
04-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Good talent, I just don't want the baggage, especially with a rookie manager!

Deadguy
04-01-2004, 11:46 AM
This guy is absolute scum. A pretty good talent, but he's lazy, arrogant, and a show boat. I hope he remains the center piece of the Indians for years to come.

jeremyb1
04-01-2004, 11:51 AM
He's outstanding so I really couldn't care less about the off field problems at this point.

pudge
04-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Considering KW's recent comments about the type of players he wants on the team, he'd basically be mocking himself if he went after Bradley.

Jerko
04-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Considering KW's recent comments about the type of players he wants on the team, he'd basically be mocking himself if he went after Bradley.

True, but he had no problem last season signing Robbie "the spitter" Alomar and Carl "Headbutt" Everett. And the Sox are famous for "raiding" the Indians, may as well get a young player this time.

sas1974
04-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
True, but he had no problem last season signing Robbie "the spitter" Alomar and Carl "Headbutt" Everett. And the Sox are famous for "raiding" the Indians, may as well get a young player this time.

Yea, but he played w/ Robbie and he knows him. I really don't know a ton about the "issues" that MB has, but if they are of any significance, then I don't want anything to do w/ him. We have plenty of outfielders anyway. I'd rather see them bring up Borchard first. I know MB might be able to lead off for us, but the risks out way the reward w/ this one.

soxnut
04-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Man,............... Milton Bradley.............He Got Game!!!!!!! :D:

santo=dorf
04-01-2004, 12:42 PM

Oh please. KW did a background check on Everett before he traded for him. He talked to Buck Showalter, and others and the result was fine. Carl was actually one of the best team players and was not a problem in the clubhouse.

Jerko
04-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Oh please. KW did a background check on Everett before he traded for him. He talked to Buck Showalter, and others and the result was fine. Carl was actually one of the best team players and was not a problem in the clubhouse.

Neither was Bradley this year, until now. And KW doing background checks is about as reliable as the person who did the background check on the "pervert Cub fan teacher" who just got arrested. Background check. Headbutting an ump in the nose is all the background check I need. I'm not saying I wanted Everett to leave, but let's not elevate him to Sainthood because Buck Showalter vouched for him.

WinningUgly!
04-01-2004, 12:57 PM
If he is made available, I'd be all over him. Milton Bradley has a chance to be one of the best hitters in the game. Bradley & Wedge seem to have some serious problems with each other, maybe that fuels some of his bad attitude...who knows? I could certainly do without his ripping off the batting gloves routine, after hitting HRs, but he's too much of a talent to let slip away if you have a chance at him. You can stick him anywhere in the lineup, 1-9.

Iwritecode
04-01-2004, 01:01 PM
He sounds like a head-case (http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2284176) and lazy to boot.

I don't think he'd get along with Ozzie all that much either...

Over By There
04-01-2004, 01:25 PM
This article (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1773330) says he'll be traded within 72 hours and four teams have shown interest. I'd take a pass, I've only heard negative things about this guy's attitude. He "moved to Cleveland" this year? Wow, I'm really impressed, must be a team player.

sas1974
04-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Yikes! From those two articles alone, I don't want him here. That has to the the absolute LAST thing that we would want in the clubhouse after such a warm and fuzzy spring training. There is finally talk about players having fun and being happy, now people want to toss this jackass into the mix? NO THANKS! He would last exactly 15 seconds around Ozzie before he was leaving Comiskey in a cab too. He's good, but he's not that good. Who does he think he is?

OurBitchinMinny
04-01-2004, 01:45 PM
I dont think cleveland would trade him to a division rival anyways even if KW wanted him.

sas1974
04-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
I dont think cleveland would trade him to a division rival anyways even if KW wanted him.

Good point. I mean it's not like they're the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Deadguy
04-01-2004, 01:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6032.jpg
"I guarantee you that the Dodgers aren't one of the teams considering Bradley"

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/1650.jpg
"You got that right....err...umm...don't tell me...um...Paul...yeah, that's it. Rickey never forgets a teammate's name, and Rickey still have a lot to offer. Rickey not as selfish as Milton, and Rickey twice the player at twice the age."

Jerko
04-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny

That's true. And with our luck whoever we got rid of would stick it to us anyway.

sas1974
04-01-2004, 02:04 PM
That's true. And with our luck whoever we got rid of would stick it to us anyway.

Unless of course they would be interested in a 35yo side-armming right-hander from Japan? Perhaps a former Rolaids Fireman of the Year Award-winner? Maybe a left-handed former reliever that was a former starter that is now starting?

I think there's a pretty good chance none of those guys would come back to bite us.

Jerko
04-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Unless of course they would be interested in a 35yo side-armming right-hander from Japan? Perhaps a former Rolaids Fireman of the Year Award-winner? Maybe a left-handed former reliever that was a former starter that is now starting?

I think there's a pretty good chance none of those guys would come back to bite us.

Those are EXACTLY the kind of people that would come back to bite us. How many times did Alvarez beat us after we thought he was washed up? Watch Graffanino get a GWRBI Monday and Sullivan a save! Granted the guys I mentioned were all better than Kroch, Shoe, and Zero, but we've lost to worse before! Cameron with 4 homers in one game, etc.

sas1974
04-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Those are EXACTLY the kind of people that would come back to bite us. How many times did Alvarez beat us after we thought he was washed up? Watch Graffanino get a GWRBI Monday and Sullivan a save! Granted the guys I mentioned were all better than Kroch, Shoe, and Zero, but we've lost to worse before! Hell I think even Augie Ojeda had a game winning rbi against us once. Cameron with 4 homers in one game, etc.

I know, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Guys have a ton of extra motivation to do well against the clubs that let them go. It happens all of the time. I don't want this jerk anyway, no matter who we'd give up to get him.

Hullett_Fan
04-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
If he is made available, I'd be all over him. Milton Bradley has a chance to be one of the best hitters in the game. Bradley & Wedge seem to have some serious problems with each other, maybe that fuels some of his bad attitude...who knows? I could certainly do without his ripping off the batting gloves routine, after hitting HRs, but he's too much of a talent to let slip away if you have a chance at him. You can stick him anywhere in the lineup, 1-9.

THANK YOU! Milton would be perfect in the 2-hole for our Sox. And would solve that CF problem.

SIGN HIM UP!!!

sas1974
04-01-2004, 05:19 PM
On performance/talent alone, I am all for it. But if this s.o.b. thinks he's too good to run out a pop up, you can keep him. I don't understand how people can overlook this stuff and want someone like this on the team?

I am not that bothered by the fact that he doesn't get along w/ his manager. That happens. Not everyone gets along. Carl Everett and Jimmy Williams fought like cats and dogs. The difference here is that Carl went out and played his arse off every day on every play and every pitch. That's the big difference here.

JRIG
04-01-2004, 05:30 PM
I'd take him in a heartbeat, insert him in the leadoff spot and watch this team score 900+ runs this year.

sas1974
04-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I'd take him in a heartbeat, insert him in the leadoff spot and watch this team score 900+ runs this year.

As long as no one hurts his feelings or asks him to do anything that he doesn't want to do.

poorme
04-01-2004, 05:34 PM
If he's released I take a chance on him, but no way Cleveland trades him to us.

Foulke You
04-01-2004, 06:06 PM
Ozzie Guillen + Milton Bradley = Disaster

There is no way this would work. For a guy who preaches "You don't play hard, you don't play for me, I have no use for you". This wouldn't be a good mix for a guy like Bradley who quite frankly, doesn't play hard. He would ride the pine as long as Guillen was there. I see Bradley as a clubhouse cancer. A skillful cancer, but a cancer nonetheless.

mweflen
04-01-2004, 06:14 PM
near the end of 2002, I heckled MB relentlessly during a Sox-Indians game. He didn't run out 2 consecutive popups, then didn't run out a grounder.

I ragged on him for not putting the effort in, not being hungry, to watch out for Indians AAA players who had more desire, etc. etc. Funnily enough, I got a bunch of tribe fans to chuckle and join in.

Finally, during his 4th at-bat (which I had moved behind home plate to heckle him further), he turned and waved disgustedly at me. It got a big laugh :)

Suffice it to say, unless he underwent a radical personality transplant surgery, I think not. The fewer self-absorbed pouters on the bench, the better.

What CF problem? Rowand's going to be the bomb this year - not A bomb, THE bomb.

kermittheefrog
04-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Getting Bradley to play center for us would be too good to be true. The Tribe would probably ask for Reed but if we could get Bradley for someone like Honel I'd jump all over it.

maurice
04-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Bradley's fine for a fantasy baseball team. His talent and hitting ability are fantastic, but that piece of crap shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an actual baseball team.

My Bradley story: One fine day at the Cell, Bradley was playing CF for the Toons. With a loud crack of the bat, one of the Sox players hit a line drive to dead center. A decent CF would have taken about two steps back and caught it easily . . . but Bradley is no decent CF. He breaks into a full sprint and runs fifteen yards towards the IF before realizing how hard the ball was hit. He was still sprinting in even after the ball sailed over his head. Eventually, he stopped running in and began lollygagging his way over to the wall to pick it up. My section rode him hard for the rest of the game.

nitetrain8601
04-01-2004, 06:45 PM
I would get him. The man has talent. You need guys who are fiery. He may not practice hard but he plays on the field hard. It may not look like it, but he does. He's a legit CF with talent and could be thrown in any batting spot and still do good. I would trade Rowand(since there would be no use for him), Schoenweis, and probably Borchard since he already is considered to be past up as an OF prospect by Reed.

gosox41
04-01-2004, 08:01 PM

KW mocks himself every time he opens his trap. We get rid of 6 free agents and bring in such "grinders" as Uribe, Politte, and Takatsu.

What a joke he is.

Bob

Win1ForMe
04-01-2004, 11:53 PM

Yeah, because Kenny is always true to his word. Remember the post -season press conference in which Kenny made that big speech about picking up more grinders? Well, it's the end of spring training and we're stuck with the same GIDP, feast or famine lineup we had throughout last season.

jordan23ventura
04-02-2004, 01:24 AM
Go get Him!

Screw the "headcase" stuff, maybe Eric Wedge rides him too much. Ya never know. Maybe his agent will smack him around a bit and Ozzie can straighten him out. I'd love to see him on this team, especially if it meant trading Schoenweis and sending Cotts / Grilli / Rauch into the rotation.

A. Cavatica
04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
We get rid of 6 free agents and bring in such "grinders" as Uribe, Politte, and Takatsu.

Hey, leave my guys Uribe and Politte alone. They've had good springs. No ridiculing them until the KC series.

jeremyb1
04-02-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Getting Bradley to play center for us would be too good to be true. The Tribe would probably ask for Reed but if we could get Bradley for someone like Honel I'd jump all over it.

I'd hate to give up Honel Kermit but you're probably right. Outside of Reed, Bradley is probably worth any minor leaguer in the organization.

SEALgep
04-02-2004, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I'd hate to give up Honel Kermit but you're probably right. Outside of Reed, Honel is probably worth any minor leaguer in the organization. I don't want Bradley, but if you are going to say that, you might as well throw Sweeney and Anderson in the no touch category.

SEALgep
04-02-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Yeah, because Kenny is always true to his word. Remember the post -season press conference in which Kenny made that big speech about picking up more grinders? Well, it's the end of spring training and we're stuck with the same GIDP, feast or famine lineup we had throughout last season. But they aren't playing like last year, and have given no indication that this is the same team in any way as last year.

kermittheefrog
04-02-2004, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
you might as well throw Sweeney and Anderson in the no touch category.

Unless you're talking the number one pick in the draft you need to have at least seen some time AA before you are an "untouchable" prospect.

Nick@Nite
04-02-2004, 05:20 AM
Milton Bradley is really Albert Belle in disguise... once is enough... No Thanks.

davenicholson
04-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
SORRY. I think we'd be in TROUBLE if we picked up UNO more outfielder. What kind of OPERATION do you think we're running here? This isn't CANDYLAND you know.

...ok so some of those are actually Parker Brother's games. Sue me! Wait...please don't!
:)
My vote for POW!

surfdudes
04-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Maybe we could sign Rickey Henderson so Milton could have a card playing partner in the dugout........We could get two times the lazyness for twice the price.

ma-gaga
04-02-2004, 11:34 AM
"There's always a double standard when it comes to Milton Bradley."

Top 10 talent, top 10 headcase. Is he worth it? I don't know. He's Randy Moss in a baseball uniform. But he's not quite comparable talent wise. Moss is hands down the #1 or #2 WR in all of football. M.Bradley is probably one of the top 30 outfielders, and one of the top 8 centerfielders.

I'd stay away.

WinningUgly!
04-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
"There's always a double standard when it comes to Milton Bradley."

Top 10 talent, top 10 headcase. Is he worth it? I don't know. He's Randy Moss in a baseball uniform. But he's not quite comparable talent wise. Moss is hands down the #1 or #2 WR in all of football. M.Bradley is probably one of the top 30 outfielders, and one of the top 8 centerfielders.

I'd stay away.

Everybody is forgetting that we're talking about the White Sox. So many Sox fans here are quickly dismissing the idea of dealing for Bradley, because of his attitude/laziness/personal problems. I don't get it. Do people think this team is not needing impact players? In case you all haven't noticed, big-time free agents are not exactly lining up to come play for the White Sox & Jerry Reinsdorf isn't exactly willing to shake the cobwebs out of his wallet. We'd all take the total package type player over Bradley, if given the choice...the type of player with a great personality, a great attitude & all the talent in the world, but like I said before, we're talking about the White Sox. These players do not realistically consider the White Sox as an option. Sure, Milton Bradley comes with some baggage, but with the way JR is running this organization, this might be the only way to get our hands on a big-time talent. The baggage that comes along with Bradley, is just something the Sox need to take a chance on. The odds of him becoming a model citizen, are much better than the odds are for several players, currently on the 25 man roster, of reaching his level of play...much, much better.

SEALgep
04-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Everybody is forgetting that we're talking about the White Sox. So many Sox fans here are quickly dismissing the idea of dealing for Bradley, because of his attitude/laziness/personal problems. I don't get it. Do people think this team is not needing impact players? In case you all haven't noticed, big-time free agents are not exactly lining up to come play for the White Sox & Jerry Reinsdorf isn't exactly willing to shake the cobwebs out of his wallet. We'd all take the total package type player over Bradley, if given the choice...the type of player with a great personality, a great attitude & all the talent in the world, but like I said before, we're talking about the White Sox. These players do not realistically consider the White Sox as an option. Sure, Milton Bradley comes with some baggage, but with the way JR is running this organization, this might be the only way to get our hands on a big-time talent. The baggage that comes along with Bradley, is just something the Sox need to take a chance on. The odds of him becoming a model citizen, are much better than the odds are for several players, currently on the 25 man roster, of reaching his level of play...much, much better. I don't think anybody is forgetting anything. We don't need his attitude or his lack of hustle. The outfield isn't this clubs main concern, and that goes for the future as well.

Paulwny
04-02-2004, 12:47 PM
According to Newsday/AP, the tribe claims there are up to 8 teams interested in Bradley. I'm with others, Bradley won't be traded to the sox or any other contender in the cent. div.

sas1974
04-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Everybody is forgetting that we're talking about the White Sox. So many Sox fans here are quickly dismissing the idea of dealing for Bradley, because of his attitude/laziness/personal problems. I don't get it. Do people think this team is not needing impact players? In case you all haven't noticed, big-time free agents are not exactly lining up to come play for the White Sox & Jerry Reinsdorf isn't exactly willing to shake the cobwebs out of his wallet. We'd all take the total package type player over Bradley, if given the choice...the type of player with a great personality, a great attitude & all the talent in the world, but like I said before, we're talking about the White Sox. These players do not realistically consider the White Sox as an option. Sure, Milton Bradley comes with some baggage, but with the way JR is running this organization, this might be the only way to get our hands on a big-time talent. The baggage that comes along with Bradley, is just something the Sox need to take a chance on. The odds of him becoming a model citizen, are much better than the odds are for several players, currently on the 25 man roster, of reaching his level of play...much, much better.

You make a great point, but I am still not convinced that the rewards out way the risks w/ MB. We may get his increased level of play in CF, but what if it's at the expense of pissing off our other talented players in the process, thus lowering their effectness. I know, we'd like to think that Frank, Lee, PK, etc are bigger than that, but who knows?

It just seems that things in the clubhouse seem very good at the moment(I know it's way too early to get excited about that) and I would hate to mess that up.

sas1974
04-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
According to Newsday/AP, the tribe claims there are up to 8 teams interested in Bradley. I'm with others, Bradley won't be traded to the sox or any other contender in the cent. div.

I tend to agree w/ you here, but that is of course assuming that Cleveland thinks they are actually a contender at this point.

maurice
04-02-2004, 02:03 PM
I have no problem trading away top prospects, but I want a 1 - 3 starter in return, not another OF.

I'd make an exception for Beltran . . . but not Bradley.

fuzzy_patters
04-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I don't think anybody is forgetting anything. We don't need his attitude or his lack of hustle. The outfield isn't this clubs main concern, and that goes for the future as well.

The outfield isn't the main concern, but the lead-off hitter is. Milton Bradley is valuable to the Sox because he can do that.

MisterB
04-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Last season was the first time Bradley's been anything more than below average offensively. Can we at least wait for him to establish a level of production before we decide it's worth it to put up with his bad attitude?

WinningUgly!
04-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
Last season was the first time Bradley's been anything more than below average offensively. Can we at least wait for him to establish a level of production before we decide it's worth it to put up with his bad attitude?

Last year was also the first season that he received regular at-bats, being in the lineup everyday...at least until he was injured.

sas1974
04-02-2004, 03:33 PM
...at least until he was injured.

...something else that needs to be taken into consideration along w/ his lousy attitude.

WinningUgly!
04-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

"We're having open trade conversations with seven or eight teams right now," said Shapiro, "four or five of which are somewhat legitimate and serious."

Los Angeles and Seattle are two of the interested teams. Shapiro added he would trade Bradley within the American League Central, but as of Thursday night, no Central team had shown interest.

Linkage (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/108090207378251.xml)

sas1974
04-02-2004, 03:41 PM
The more I read about him, the more I realize what a piece of **** he really is.

jabrch
04-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Although not a FOC, I am willing to give Crash one last chance. Lets let him start every day, until the all-star break, and find out if he is a legit everyday player for this team.

On the other hand, if we can get a great deal for Ordonez (the dodgers unloading the farmsystem[loney and jackson/miller] along with Mota and Perez to us), then I'd consider Bradley to replace Magglio.

owensmouth
04-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Cleveland knows that they won't get much from anyone for Bradley. How about Shoeny for Bradley, even-up?

ma-gaga
04-02-2004, 05:59 PM
So many Sox fans here are quickly dismissing the idea of dealing for Bradley, because of his attitude/laziness/personal problems.

He had a monster 101 games last year. It's definitely a gamble. I just don't know if you want that much of a headache for a team that STRUGGLES with image.

It's a great question, I just don't think I'd do it. Manny Ramirez and Pedro Martinez are awesome, but man, high maintenance... There get's to be a point that high maintenance players aren't worth it.

It would make the team better. But, ugh, what a mess. What a great question!

:)

sas1974
04-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Cleveland knows that they won't get much from anyone for Bradley. How about Shoeny for Bradley, even-up?

In the article WinningUgly linked to it said that they wouldn't trade him for a bag of batting practice balls, but I say that we give it a shot anyway. That might be worth it! :D:

red faber
04-04-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
He's outstanding so I really couldn't care less about the off field problems at this point.

are you serious,the guy is a absolute malcontent,and he could screw up the chemistry of this team.

i say avoid him like the bubonic plague!!!!!!!!!!!

red faber
04-04-2004, 01:14 AM

jesus christ, man!!!!!!!!!!

you talk like the guy is the next coming of willie mays or something.the guy sucks defensively, he has absolutely NO hustle, he doesn't get along with his teammates or his managers,because if you remember even charlie manuel had nothing good to say about him.

the guy is a mental case period,and if i were the sox,i would want absolutely no part of him.

WinningUgly!
04-04-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by red faber
jesus christ, man!!!!!!!!!!

you talk like the guy is the next coming of willie mays or something.the guy sucks defensively, he has absolutely NO hustle, he doesn't get along with his teammates or his managers,because if you remember even charlie manuel had nothing good to say about him.

the guy is a mental case period,and if i were the sox,i would want absolutely no part of him.

I never said he was the next Willie Mays. What orifice did you pull that out of?

Railsplitter
04-04-2004, 10:12 PM
He's the Dodgers' problem now.