PDA

View Full Version : You know you aren't very good anymore...

SoxxoS
04-01-2004, 10:21 AM
When your pitching coach says

"Damaso threw well and Koch got a couple balls up but he didn't give up the lead ," Cooper said. "We're ready to go."

Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040331soxbits,1,2560808.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

I don't know what you guys think, but Koch looks promising this year.

Baby Fisk
04-01-2004, 10:25 AM
I'm reminded of the Blue Jays from about 4 years ago. They would routinely win games of 13-11, 15-14, 9-7, 12-10, etc... It was like watching arena baseball.

Not wild about this pen.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-01-2004, 10:26 AM
That may be the only time this year we hear the line that Koch "didnt give up the lead"

Tekijawa
04-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
That may be the only time this year we hear the line that Koch "didnt give up the lead"

Especially with "Mr. Zero" Designated as his set up man... There may be no lead to give up!

SoxxoS
04-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Cooper's quote is like going up to your friend, saying their dog died, but not to be sad because there is a Petland around the corner.

ode to veeck
04-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Anybody, what's Koch's velocity been like this spring? He's always had control problems, but if he can't hit the radar gun numbers of a couple of years back, he's meat.

CubKilla
04-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Low 90's..... just like last year.

And if he doesn't get some movement on his lasers, you'll have to pop some prozac everytime he's brought into a game for a hold/save.

I still have nightmares of Sweeney hitting that bomb off of Botch on April 15th of 2003. I don't think that ball has landed yet. Talk about a no doubter.

ode to veeck
04-01-2004, 11:22 AM

Whoa boy, sounds like he's headed towards a few bad outings to convince mgmt to just cut our losses.

sas1974
04-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla

Has the been reported somewhere recently? I know I haven't heard anything about him getting up in the high 90's consistently, so I assumed it was still down. Just curious if that was the official word.

jeremyb1
04-01-2004, 11:43 AM
I read at least one story that said 94-95 but maybe that's what he's topping out at.

Its real disconcerting when we plan to keep sending him out there to give up multiple runs in save situations as long as he manages not to give up the lead. Disgusting.

soxtalker
04-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Didn't KW say last week that there were a couple of possible moves out there? I remember that the phrase he used seemed a little odd, so that I took it to mean that he might be looking at either trades or picking up players that have been released by other teams. That could always play out with regards to our bullpen.

chisoxmike
04-01-2004, 12:00 PM
I still have nightmares of Sweeney hitting that bomb off of Botch on April 15th of 2003. I don't think that ball has landed yet. Talk about a no doubter.

Yeah, I remember that. I was at that game. After Frank hit that home run to put them into the lead, I thought the game was ours. But leave it to Koch to not only give up 1 run, he gave up 4!

bartmanisgod
04-01-2004, 12:00 PM
When Koch fails...Who do we go to? I think Marte should be our closer! I think he could be an all-star this year! Besides Lefty closers are tight! We shouldn't use him situationally! That would be pointless! We would be wasting our best asset in the pen! Once Koch gives up his firs save/long ball! Pull him Ozzie! Don't pull a JM and stick with him!

Marte for closer in 04!

manuelsucks
04-01-2004, 12:11 PM
I don't know what Cooper was thinking. I was sitting about 5 rows back from home plate at yesterdays game in Peoria, right next to the scouts (one from KC) with their radar guns. Koch looked absolutely horrible. His fast ball was between 91-93, a few times reaching 95. His curve as at about 81 (looked good). Otherwise, the way he was pitching was absolutely pathetic. The Sox had a solid lead, so there were plenty of runs to keep a solid lead. A good outing for Koch was be giving up no runs and only getting one or two hits. I'm not impressed with Koch one bit. For 7 million, we should demand more than nothing.

sas1974
04-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by manuelsucks
His curve as at about 81 (looked good). Otherwise, the way he was pitching was absolutely pathetic.

And if we have to rely on Billy Koch's CURVEBALL to close out games, we're in BIG TROUBLE.

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 01:43 PM
"You know you arent very good anymore when ........"

when you win 4 Cy Young Awards, average 15 wins a year,
and go 4 months as a Free Agent, and are FORCED to Resign with the team you left originally years ago, because you didnt receive 1 single decent offer

harwar
04-01-2004, 01:53 PM
We really needed to get another starter during the offseason so D.Wright can pitch out of the bullpen where he belongs.
I'll bet Koch won't even be in MLB next year.
Its too bad Colon and Gordon couldn't have stuck around.I mean they couldn't wait to get away from the White Sox,i don't think they even packed their bags,they just ran like hell.
We have one of the worst bullpens in the AL,although i heard Hawk say a couple of weeks ago that we had "one of the best in the AL" so i'm not worried one little bit.
Its gonna be a long season i fear..