PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers on Marte

fledgedrallycap
04-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Good article focused entirely on Damaso Marte. However, I find it funny that he couldn't find any personal information to write about.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040331rogers,1,7214977.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

sas1974
04-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
However, I find it funny that he couldn't find any personal information to write about.

That might have something to do with the fact that he didn't look any further than the Sox media guide. I can look there. How about doing some actual reporting?

That aside, it was a pretty good article and it's nice to see Marte get some props. Nice work by Phil to give some much overdue credit to a guy that really deserves it.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-01-2004, 09:30 AM
It would be nice if the guy got a chance to start. I know its been mentioned before, but I am sure he could go 6-8 innings with his arm not tiring. I would rather have him out there to start to give the team a quality 2nd lefty that to have him come in to pitch one inning. The guy is talented and should be allowed to show it.

sas1974
04-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
It would be nice if the guy got a chance to start. I know its been mentioned before, but I am sure he could go 6-8 innings with his arm not tiring. I would rather have him out there to start to give the team a quality 2nd lefty that to have him come in to pitch one inning. The guy is talented and should be allowed to show it.

I like that idea, but what about the gapping hole that would leave in the 'pen?

Although for what we signed him for, he would be a steal for a solid lefty starter.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-01-2004, 09:41 AM
I see him as maybe a 3 ERA pitcher. If you could go 7 innings and get decent run support there would be no need to worry about the pen. Politte and Wunsch are solid and some of the younger guys could fill in.

sas1974
04-01-2004, 09:53 AM
I see him as maybe a 3 ERA pitcher. If you could go 7 innings and get decent run support there would be no need to worry about the pen. Politte and Wunsch are solid and some of the younger guys could fill in.

I like the thought of being innovative and I agree that Kelly and Cliff could probably do a solid job. I just hesitate to mess w/ a good thing. Marte is lights out. Opposing hitters, especially leftys, must get every drop of hope sucked out of them when they see hit trotting in from the 'pen to face them. I think he might lose some of that if he were a starter.

I would very curious to see how it would play out. Don't get me wrong. Unfortunately, this would have to be something they decided a while ago so he could build up the arm strength to "stretch it out." It would have been something they would have had to tell him before spring training began so he could alter his off season work out to prepare.

SEALgep
04-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Keep him in the pen where he is dominant. By starting, he will become a different pitcher. You think he can throw how he does now for 7 innings? No way, besides we need him where he is, next year too. Also, I'm sure there is some kind of clause that would change his salary structure if such an event took place.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-01-2004, 10:17 AM
I agree that his ability to go the distance may be questionable, but I rely on what a few of my friends in the minors say about Carribean pitchers. I've been told that because those guys basically throw all day there is never a concern with them that they get tired. The arm strength is there.

Plus, Marte was quoted in the off season that he wants the shot to start. I think he knows his arm better and what he can do than Coop

sas1974
04-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Plus, Marte was quoted in the off season that he wants the shot to start. I think he knows his arm better and what he can do than Coop

I remember that when he said that, Coop sort of laughed it off w/ a "we'll see." I think Marte just wants to do whatever he can to help the team and that's great. I wonder if a small part of it might have been a pride thing? Maybe he feels he's not appreciated enough for what he can do? I think that's all going to change this year and the Rogers' article is a step in the right direction.

doublem23
04-01-2004, 10:30 AM

How many pitches does Damaso feature? I was always under the assumption he had 2 good pitches and then maybe 1 or 2 get-me-overs.

Damaso always seemed like a guy that would get shelled by the 3rd inning unless he was extraordinarily on.

DrummerGeorgefan
04-01-2004, 10:32 AM
I'd counter that by saying thats 2 2/3 of a better outing than Schoenwies would give us

doublem23
04-01-2004, 10:34 AM
I'd counter that by saying thats 2 2/3 of a better outing than Schoenwies would give us

True, but a bad starter replacing a woeful starter is still a bad starter.

jeremyb1
04-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Yeah it would've been nice to see Marte interviewed for the piece.

Whitesox029
04-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Good article focused entirely on Damaso Marte. However, I find it funny that he couldn't find any personal information to write about.

I find that very ironic since the headline was "mystery man" or something like that and the article basically focused on how he's pretty much unknown and underappreciated. Of course when he said the media never talked to Marte he was probably referring to himself as well.

gosox41
04-01-2004, 06:57 PM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040331rogers,1,7214977.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

DId he even have a quote from Marte?

Bob

Corlose 15
04-01-2004, 07:55 PM
I'd have to say that trading for Marte has to be one of KW's best if not the best move he's made as GM.

ode to veeck
04-01-2004, 07:59 PM
I'd have to say that trading for Marte has to be one of KW's best if not the best move he's made as GM.

Musta been another KW case where he didn't get the guy he thought he was dealing for

gosox41
04-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Corlose 15

It's sad to say KW's best move as a GM in over 3 years is trading for a reliever.

Bob