PDA

View Full Version : Royals put 5 pitchers on the DL


Rocklive99
04-01-2004, 01:40 AM
I don't think I've seen this posted, and if it's old, my fault (Blame ESPN ;) ) I saw it on the ESPN ticker today.
- R. Hernandez (SP - elbow - season)
- Mike McDougal (RP - stomach virus - Mid April)
- Kyle Snyder (SP - shoulder - season)
- Miguel Ascencio (SP - elbow - season)
- Kevin Appier (SP - elbow - Mid April)

As a matter fact, while I was typing this, I found it on Yahoo! Sports. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-royals-macdougal&prov=ap&type=lgns

(This better not be a KC April Fools Joke :angry: )

kittle42
04-01-2004, 01:48 AM
Hey look - injured pitchers on a team in our division. But there's only one thread about these because none of them are named Prior.

TaylorStSox
04-01-2004, 02:39 AM
This is so ironic really. I can't wait to see the response to this.

SSN721
04-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Thats funny, cuz I heard Jayson Stark on ESPN radio yesterday with Eric Kasilius (The Sports Bash I think, on the internet stream). And these guys had a 15 minute conversation about who would win each division. The White Sox were not even mentioned once, not once. Even Detroit was brought up, they were talking about how even though the Twins lost pitching they still had the best rotation in the division?????? And everyone loved the Royals, they did so much in the offseason and they both felt their pitching was much improved????? I wanted to punch my computer. Both picked the Twins but both said that if not them then it would definitely be the Royals. Again, the White Sox were not even mentioned once in 15 minutes. I am starting to lean more and more to Hangar's interpretation of the media. It was sick. But I think those injuries will really weaken an already weak staff.

cubhater
04-01-2004, 06:52 AM
When did Nardi Contreras become the Royal's pitching coach?

StepsInSC
04-01-2004, 08:06 AM
From a rock solid pitching staff to a questionable one, wow.

34 Inch Stick
04-01-2004, 09:01 AM
The improvement of their staff came primarily in long relief (a economically good move for a small market club). I think their plan was to have the starters go 5 and be strong in the middle. That plan is now scrapped.

The Royals will finish no higher than 4th this year and Pena will no longer be the flavor of the month.

munchman33
04-01-2004, 09:41 AM
This really doesn't matter, because no matter who the Royals throw out there, they will be tagged. We already expected that. The only way the Royals are winning is if they score a ton of runs. A TON of runs.

CubKilla
04-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
And these guys had a 15 minute conversation about who would win each division. The White Sox were not even mentioned once, not once.

Don't be so offended. The White Sox REALLY aren't that good and I refuse to jump up and down like a giddy little school boy at the prospect of the White Sox possibly winning the AL Central by default just so we can be beat up in 3 games by a real baseball team come the ALDS.

The way this team is right now..... with no 2B, no 4th or 5th starter, no dependable closer or a BP (sans Marte) for that matter, and no CF'er that has proven he can keep up his ST pace for 162 games a season, we'd get spanked by any of the 3 other teams that would make the AL playoffs.

ode to veeck
04-01-2004, 10:24 AM
And these guys had a 15 minute conversation about who would win each division. The White Sox were not even mentioned once, not once

I don't mind the Sox being the Stealth contenters for their awsome division, nobody will see us coming (hopefully we actually are).

doublem23
04-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Wow. Now they really suck.

Think Juan Gone can toss a few innings for them between temper tantrums?

P.S., the link provided is dead, but you can read about it here (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1772977). Just scroll down to the part about the Royals. Sorry the page lead is about Kerry Wood.

Kittle
04-01-2004, 10:29 AM
Given that both Hernandez and Affeldt missed a ton of time with injuries last year and that Appier is old and has a history of injuries as well, I found it laughable that the folks on Baseball Tonight predicted them to finish ahead of the Sox.

Kittle
04-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Kittle
Given that both Hernandez and Affeldt missed a ton of time with injuries last year and that Appier is old and has a history of injuries as well, I found it laughable that the folks on Baseball Tonight predicted them to finish ahead of the Sox.

Oh, and I almost forgot about Juan Gone. Another injury risk has-been.

poorme
04-01-2004, 10:36 AM
None of those guys did much of anything last year.

jeremyb1
04-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Don't be so offended. The White Sox REALLY aren't that good and I refuse to jump up and down like a giddy little school boy at the prospect of the White Sox possibly winning the AL Central by default just so we can be beat up in 3 games by a real baseball team come the ALDS.

The way this team is right now..... with no 2B, no 4th or 5th starter, no dependable closer or a BP (sans Marte) for that matter, and no CF'er that has proven he can keep up his ST pace for 162 games a season, we'd get spanked by any of the 3 other teams that would make the AL playoffs.

No we're not that good but do you think the Twins and Royals are? Neither of them look like 90 win teams to me. Yeah we have flaws but we have strengths too. The back of the Twins rotation is just as poor as ours. Their two best relievers are rookies (Balfour and Crain) one of which is beginning the season in AAA (Crain). They don't have one outstanding hitter on their entire club and their hitting in the middle infield is particularly weak. The Royals have a suspect rotation and health concerns with Juan Gone and Affeldt at a minimum. Their pen is improved but there are supposedly health issues regarding Sullivan and McDougal is horribly inconsistent and begins the season in the DL. Do these teams look like they'll obliterate us to you?!

soxnut
04-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Don't be so offended. The White Sox REALLY aren't that good and I refuse to jump up and down like a giddy little school boy at the prospect of the White Sox possibly winning the AL Central by default just so we can be beat up in 3 games by a real baseball team come the ALDS.

The way this team is right now..... with no 2B, no 4th or 5th starter, no dependable closer or a BP (sans Marte) for that matter, and no CF'er that has proven he can keep up his ST pace for 162 games a season, we'd get spanked by any of the 3 other teams that would make the AL playoffs.



The thing is, come July 1st. KW will get the missing pieces, that would make the Sox more competitive in the post-season. I have no doubt about that. But I guess you're still not going to any games anyway. But if they do make the needed moves, and you haven't been to any games, don't bother showing up for the post-season either.

Baby Fisk
04-01-2004, 11:10 AM
KC was already toast. 4th place.

CubKilla
04-01-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Do these teams look like they'll obliterate us to you?!

That's my whole point. The AL Central is a joke. The "Champ" of the AL Central, as it is right now, probably wouldn't be able to hold the wildcard teams jock come October.

Brian26
04-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by cubhater
When did Nardi Contreras become the Royal's pitching coach?

You took the line right out of my mouth. :D:

CubKilla
04-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
The thing is, come July 1st. KW will get the missing pieces, that would make the Sox more competitive in the post-season. I have no doubt about that. But I guess you're still not going to any games anyway. But if they do make the needed moves, and you haven't been to any games, don't bother showing up for the post-season either.

Just like last year?

And don't worry. If the White Sox are postseason fodder for the better AL playoff teams I won't be going down to USCF to witness the execution first-hand.

34 Inch Stick
04-01-2004, 11:56 AM
I on the other hand, will. I don't delude myself but once the season starts, I'll take the tallest midget award.

Iwritecode
04-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
That's my whole point. The AL Central is a joke. The "Champ" of the AL Central, as it is right now, probably wouldn't be able to hold the wildcard teams jock come October.

Exacty. So let's just not even bother playing the season at all. I mean there's no way this team could compete with the Yanks, Red Sox, A's, etc. in the playoffs. So even if they do win the division, they should just forfeit the entire ALDS.

Please remember there's a little something called trades that KW can do all the way through July to plug the holes and make the team better.

BTW, you had the Marlins picked as the WS winner last July right?

jeremyb1
04-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Just like last year?

And don't worry. If the White Sox are postseason fodder for the better AL playoff teams I won't be going down to USCF to witness the execution first-hand.

Well the playoffs are a completely different story. First of all, I would be far from upset with any playoff birth even if we do lose in the first round. We were destroyed in the first round in '00 crushing a lot of high expectations but do people consider that to be a dissapointing season? I sure don't. It would've been nice to do better but I was really happy to be there for the first time in seven years.

More importantly, there's not much of a correlation between a team's overall ability or regular season record and playoff success. Does anyone honestly think the Angels and Marlins were the two best teams in baseball the past two seasons just because they won the World Series? Clearly, neither team had the best record in baseball or even their own division for that matter. If a 162 game season didn't bear out the fact that they were the best team in baseball, what makes you think a five game series and two seven game series does? As Billy Beane is fond of saying, the playoffs are a crap shoot akin to the NCAA tournament. The best you can really hope for is to make the playoffs and then have a good ride. If we win the central and get lucky, hot, or face a slumping opponent in the playoffs we can win.

soxnut
04-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Well the playoffs are a completely different story. First of all, I would be far from upset with any playoff birth even if we do lose in the first round. We were destroyed in the first round in '00 crushing a lot of high expectations but do people consider that to be a dissapointing season? I sure don't. It would've been nice to do better but I was really happy to be there for the first time in seven years.

More importantly, there's not much of a correlation between a team's overall ability or regular season record and playoff success. Does anyone honestly think the Angels and Marlins were the two best teams in baseball the past two seasons just because they won the World Series? Clearly, neither team had the best record in baseball or even their own division for that matter. If a 162 game season didn't bear out the fact that they were the best team in baseball, what makes you think a five game series and two seven game series does? As Billy Beane is fond of saying, the playoffs are a crap shoot akin to the NCAA tournament. The best you can really hope for is to make the playoffs and then have a good ride. If we win the central and get lucky, hot, or face a slumping opponent in the playoffs we can win.


There ya go. Let's at least give the whole thing a chance My God!! :gulp:

Dub25
04-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by SSN721
Thats funny, cuz I heard Jayson Stark on ESPN radio yesterday with Eric Kasilius (The Sports Bash I think, on the internet stream). And these guys had a 15 minute conversation about who would win each division. The White Sox were not even mentioned once, not once. Even Detroit was brought up, they were talking about how even though the Twins lost pitching they still had the best rotation in the division?????? And everyone loved the Royals, they did so much in the offseason and they both felt their pitching was much improved????? I wanted to punch my computer. Both picked the Twins but both said that if not them then it would definitely be the Royals. Again, the White Sox were not even mentioned once in 15 minutes. I am starting to lean more and more to Hangar's interpretation of the media. It was sick. But I think those injuries will really weaken an already weak staff.

Fine with me. Let the sox be the underdogs. They didn't perform well as the favorites.

Corlose 15
04-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Lets see, the last time the Sox were the underdogs in the WS was 1917....and we all know what happened that time!!!! Sox over the Giants in the WS!!!!! :o: :o:

CubKilla
04-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Corlose 15
Lets see, the last time the Sox were the underdogs in the WS was 1917....and we all know what happened that time!!!! Sox over the Giants in the WS!!!!! :o: :o:

You have to get to a World Series to be a WS underdog first.

CubKilla
04-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
First of all, I would be far from upset with any playoff birth even if we do lose in the first round. We were destroyed in the first round in '00 crushing a lot of high expectations but do people consider that to be a dissapointing season? I sure don't.

This is where me and you differ. What's the difference between finishing last in a Division or winning a Division and going out 1-2-3 in the first round?

There is no difference. You're both at home watching the better League rep in the WS or golfing.

Iwritecode
04-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
This is where me and you differ. What's the difference between finishing last in a Division or winning a Division and going out 1-2-3 in the first round?

There is no difference. You're both at home watching the better League rep in the WS or golfing.

Are you serious?

So in other words we shouldn't even bother having three rounds of playoffs anymore right? The 2 teams with the best record in each league gets to go straight to the WS.

Come on, if you don't know the difference between a division championship and a last place finish, then you weren't paying attention in 2000.

I'd much rather go into the season knowing my team at least went to the playoffs the year before rather than hoping they make a miraculous jump from worst to first...

DSpivack
04-01-2004, 05:27 PM
The Royals and Twins have all been predicted by the media to win it, while the Tigers have gotten attention because of their moves.

Sure, the White Sox haven't really been mentioned as a candidate and certainly have just as good of a chance as anyone to win the division.

But what about the Indians? They seem to have a lot of young talent, possibly more than anyone else in the division.

lowesox
04-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
More importantly, there's not much of a correlation between a team's overall ability or regular season record and playoff success. Does anyone honestly think the Angels and Marlins were the two best teams in baseball the past two seasons just because they won the World Series? Clearly, neither team had the best record in baseball or even their own division for that matter. If a 162 game season didn't bear out the fact that they were the best team in baseball, what makes you think a five game series and two seven game series does?

Do you really believe that? I mean, if winning the World Series isn't what it's all about, than what is? Having a good month here or there? Having sports analysts say you're the best on paper?

To me, it's all or nothing. When I look back at years like '93 and 2000, it disapoints me. We were so close yet so far. I can't understand why anybody would want to be a baseball fan if their dreams didn't center around their team winning a world series one day. And if you believe a team can with the series without being the best team in baseball, what's the point?

I for one, believe that winning a playoff game takes an incredible amount of heart and determination. And strategy. And skill. And I believe one hundred percent that the team who wins the world series is in fact the best team in baseball that year.

Frankfan4life
04-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by cubhater
When did Nardi Contreras become the Royal's pitching coach?

:D: