PDA

View Full Version : Hangar 18's Own Renovation Pics

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Ive made my own Artists Rendering of what the Outfield should look like, AND I even added the 2 Missing Pinwheels and Put
the CLOCK back on the scoreboard.

I think Its VERY IMPORTANT that EVERYONE here Reply here, and Tell Me (them) what you think of this .........the whitesox are listening .....

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-01-2004, 12:13 AM
I def. like the look of it without the huge billboards. It makes the ballpark feel more open and less cluttered.

santo=dorf
04-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Oh but the most important question, what color are the seats?

:reinsy

"What does that say on the scoreboard? Comisk... I can't make out the rest."

gogosoxgogo
04-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I def. like the look of it without the huge billboards. It makes the ballpark feel more open and less cluttered.

"Then a $40 million payroll you will get!"

chisoxmike
04-01-2004, 12:49 AM
Hangar- I like it! I think the homerun porch is in the plans for next year.

gogosoxgogo
04-01-2004, 12:56 AM
What's with the giant beer bottle to the left of the scoreboard?

mweflen
04-01-2004, 12:56 AM
hangar18,

is that new seating area in right field what they refer to as a "homerun porch"? if so, I love the idea! It will make the whole park feel more closed and intimate, not open and advertising-laden as it is now.

now if they can just make it a "value" section (i.e. $10 tickets)....

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
What's with the giant beer bottle to the left of the scoreboard?

Got to give Uncle Jerry his Advertising. I call it, a
CREATIVE BILLBOARD. Its supposed to be an MGD bottle

Stumblinfool
04-01-2004, 01:30 AM
I love the idea of the homerun porch, the question is however, how close does it actually come to the field. It would be awsome if the porch was almost over the field like Old Tiger Stadium

mweflen
04-01-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Stumblinfool
I love the idea of the homerun porch, the question is however, how close does it actually come to the field. It would be awsome if the porch was almost over the field like Old Tiger Stadium

ditto that. old tiger stadium (and old Comiskey, for that matter) just oozed atmosphere with the close porches.

doublem23
04-01-2004, 01:37 AM
What? No Ferris Wheel?

JohnBasedowYoda
04-01-2004, 01:51 AM
Hangar thats nice, i was thinking of doing some drawings but you beat me to it. Very cool and it looks awesome w/o those big billboards. Billboards are for highways and not stadiums. Is the homerun porch gonna be that big?

npdempse
04-01-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Got to give Uncle Jerry his Advertising. I call it, a
CREATIVE BILLBOARD. Its supposed to be an MGD bottle

Wow, that's a great idea.

We should also get a Marlboro man who really smokes when somebody hits a dinger.

cubhater
04-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Hangar, you Da Man! Too bad JR didn't hire you to design the Cell years ago.

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Note how "Balanced" the Scoreboard now Looks with the simple addition of the 2 pinwheels on the Left and Right sides. Of course, the Final Touch of Having the CLOCK put back up there
is the frosting on the cake. Id put BRIGHTER lights on the board,
so every Travel Brochure, Entertainment TOnight Episode, and everyone "visiting" Chicago regards this as a "Must See" when seeing Chicago for the first time
1. sears tower
2. john hancock
3. buckingham fountain
4 art institute
5. shedd aquarium
6. Scoreboard Exploding at Comiskey

longshot7
04-01-2004, 10:39 AM
dude, I like it. When you & Trump buy the team...

poorme
04-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Looks a lot better to me.

soxnut
04-01-2004, 10:44 AM
It looks pretty good, but I think the clock needs to be bigger. With the way the scoreboard is currently, it actually does look too plain with just a video board on it. If they do put in the homerun porch, there has to be a place for the out-of-town scoreboards. I think those should be put back on the cf scoreboard, as well as more lights and such, just like the original.

SSN721
04-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Very, very nice Hangar, are those your retro building facades in the left field concourse? Hard to tell. Love the home run porch though. I think the scoreboard looks great as well, but would like to see the clock maybe double the size it is in that pic. And if somehow you could work in out of town scores and diamonds for on base markers like at PNC that would be fantastic. But great pic overall Hangar, would love to see it looking like that.

DrummerGeorgefan
Hanger-nice work

I like the homerun porch. Now if we had some lefties who put the ball up there.

I would like to see all of left field go turned into bleachers and make it a general admission area for cheaper. If those seats went for $15, I think you could pull more people. The bleachers now are a great place to watch the game in my opinion.

Baby Fisk
All the OF seats look empty!

I like the scoreboard without all the crap around it. It looms over CF like a monster.

Sad
04-01-2004, 10:55 AM
never understood an upper deck in the outfield :?:
but then I don't like sitting anywhere but near the infield

1951Campbell
04-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Hey, White Sox management folks reading this board:

I live in Central PA. It's a long trek for a ballgame in Chicago. PNC, Camden Yards, the new Phils' stadium...all three hours or less away. But if you do something cool like in Hangar's picture, that would be worth the drive for my wife and I. And we'd probably drop $200+ on tickets, parking, merchandise and food. As it stands, asking my wife to drive all that way to go to a cookie-cutter is a tough sell.

Also, tell Comcast to carry WGN out here, if ya can.

CubKilla
04-01-2004, 11:00 AM
It looks alright but your LF is more sterile than the current LF.

I liked the similar renovation pics where the supposedly new "Grand Entrance" on 35th and Wentworth is glass enclosed and protruding W from the LF foul pole E to about Section 159.

tebman
04-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
It looks pretty good, but I think the clock needs to be bigger. With the way the scoreboard is currently, it actually does look too plain with just a video board on it. If they do put in the homerun porch, there has to be a place for the out-of-town scoreboards. I think those should be put back on the cf scoreboard, as well as more lights and such, just like the original.

Amen! Nice job, Hangar18. I agree with soxnut on the need for
a larger clock like we talked about in Hangar18's earlier thread
on the pinwheel count.

The point is to make it look like a ballpark, which is what's being
done now with the upper deck rehab. One step at a time, I guess.

- tebman

ewokpelts
04-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by DrummerGeorgefan
Hanger-nice work

I like the homerun porch. Now if we had some lefties who put the ball up there.

I would like to see all of left field go turned into bleachers and make it a general admission area for cheaper. If those seats went for $15, I think you could pull more people. The bleachers now are a great place to watch the game in my opinion.

Those tickets sell out at 22-30 bucks as it is now...why lower price?
Gene

doublem23
04-01-2004, 11:26 AM
You're living in a fool's world if you ever think U.S. Cellular Field will be mentioned in "must-see Chicago places" over Wrigley. You could cover the stadium in gold leaf and it still wouldn't matter.

Kittle
04-01-2004, 11:32 AM

"But that homerun porch will take away all of our advertising space!"

Nice drawing, BTW. I'd like to see it become a reality some day.

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 11:36 AM
Agreed, the CLock should be a Bit BIGGER than what I have
in the Drawing. Wouldnt it be cool if LONGINES were still in biz, we could put that back up there. YES, those "facades"
are ACTUAL Working Buildings out there. I couldnt detail
as much as I wouldve liked, but they'd be "old-fashioned" and
each would have "roof patios" to be used as each bar/restaurant saw fit. and NO, there wouldnt be bleachers on top, like the URinal, but a standing area giving people a view of the Field &
of downtown. They do this right, this would be a Must See
destination. of course, wgn and cubune would go into overdrive marketing "historic" wrigley, but we'd have to MARKET just as hard. hear that Jerry? work hard ..........

DrummerGeorgefan
04-01-2004, 11:37 AM
i'd lower the prices just to give people an incentive to come. Remember what Veeck said, money doesnt come from ticket sales, but from concessions and all the stuff people do once they are in the park. Plus, a reduction would give management good press, especially when the trend is to increase prices.

soxnut
04-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Agreed, the CLock should be a Bit BIGGER than what I have
in the Drawing. Wouldnt it be cool if LONGINES were still in biz, we could put that back up there. YES, those "facades"
are ACTUAL Working Buildings out there. I couldnt detail
as much as I wouldve liked, but they'd be "old-fashioned" and
each would have "roof patios" to be used as each bar/restaurant saw fit.

It's a very good effort Hangar. And the actual working buildings should be part of it as well, or something like it. Considering the Red Line is right there, I think having some restuarants/bars, maybe a coffee shop should be incorporated. You've got Red Line commuters, the folks at IIT, the general neighborhood, etc. The corner of 35th and Wentworth is completely wasted space, when there is no ballgame.

wdelaney72
04-01-2004, 01:50 PM
The HR porch looks cool on the drawing, but I doubt the view of the game would be very good. I don't care much for sitting in the bleacher seats as it is. I'd rather sit in the upper deck.

Someone earlier in the thread made reference to our lack of LH batters to knock the ball up there. I couldn't agree more.

Nice job on the illustration, Hangar. Killing must be your business and business is good!

Yorke97
04-01-2004, 01:52 PM
While wishful thinking springs eternal, if there will be a "HR porch" as some have chosen to call it, it will look nothing like that. If one is built, it will essentially be an extention of the RF bleachers over the outfield concourse. Think about it: This offseasons renovations have been very nice but have also used the majority of the budget with the US Cellular contract. What you are all dreaming of in RF field would be more expensive than the entire USC cellular deal!

Most likely phase V will be very toned down in comparison to phase IV. Phase V is probably a PR scam to keep fans interested.

maurice
04-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Yorke97
While wishful thinking springs eternal, if there will be a "HR porch" as some have chosen to call it, it will look nothing like that.

IIRC, Hangar's pic looks like it was based on the actual architect's drawings, which he posted some time ago. It looks like the "porch" is the same one from the drawings, minus the billboards. Ergo, if there will be a "HR porch," it probably will look exactly like that.

Brian26
04-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Labeling it a "homerun porch" is misleading. I believe it will be built over the concourse, but I question how many balls would ever even reach that distance.

soxnut
04-01-2004, 02:00 PM
While wishful thinking springs eternal, if there will be a "HR porch" as some have chosen to call it, it will look nothing like that. If one is built, it will essentially be an extention of the RF bleachers over the outfield concourse. Think about it: This offseasons renovations have been very nice but have also used the majority of the budget with the US Cellular contract. What you are all dreaming of in RF field would be more expensive than the entire USC cellular deal!

Most likely phase V will be very toned down in comparison to phase IV. Phase V is probably a PR scam to keep fans interested.

I don't see how it's possible that it would be more expensive. There is really no destruction involved. How could puttin up a few steel posts and and steel frame, concrete and a roof use up the rest. I think the deal came out to 45 mil in '04 dollars, the ud costs about 28, so I doubt 17 mil wold be needed for that.

soxnut
04-01-2004, 02:02 PM

WRONG

soxnut
04-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Labeling it a "homerun porch" is misleading. I believe it will be built over the concourse, but I question how many balls would ever even reach that distance.

In one of the renderings that was on the HKS site that was taken down almost immediately---it did look like it was over the concourse.

As for those questioning it being bilt in rf and the Sox not having that many lefties----um do you think the Sox will always be right-handed heavy??? Think long term folks.

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by wdelaney72

Nice job on the illustration, Hangar. Killing must be your business and business is good!

Please note that I modified one of the Drawings that were released last year. My modifications include ADDING the Bars & Restaurants to the LF Concourse, REMOVED the Bland and Characterless Kennedy/DanRyan sized Billboards, and ADDED 2 more Pinwheels and a Clock to the Scoreboard. Later Today, I will add the 2nd of "Hangars Renderings".

maurice
04-01-2004, 02:08 PM
YES, those "facades" are ACTUAL Working Buildings out there. I couldnt detail as much as I wouldve liked, but they'd be "old-fashioned" and each would have "roof patios" to be used as each bar/restaurant saw fit.

That's a great idea. They should be accessible from the outside of the stadium, perhaps by linking them up to the proposed "grand entrance" on 35th near Wentworth.

Another idea would be a mini-Chicago-skyline, instead of the old-fashioned buildings. It would provide a bit of a cheesey, Vegas look . . . but definitely would be one of a kind.

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

NO, the "home-run" porch will leave exposed the BPbar ......
everything else will be under the deck, just like in Old Comiskey

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by maurice
That's a great idea. They should be accessible from the outside of the stadium, perhaps by linking them up to the proposed "grand entrance" on 35th near Wentworth.

Another idea would be a mini-Chicago-skyline, instead of the old-fashioned buildings. It would provide a bit of a cheesey, Vegas look . . . but definitely would be one of a kind.

HEY......mini-Chicago skyline ..........your on to something there.
That is definitely an excellent idea. Incorporate it though, into what is out there, so it isnt that cheesy

Rush20
04-01-2004, 03:03 PM

I thought the same thing, however the current Phase IV had a lot of $$$ involved with the decontstruction of the upper deck as well as the re-construction and enclosure. Phase V will focus more on cosmetic upgrades and new contstruction only. Any upper deck in right field would be less costly than the reconstruction of the new upper deck. Plus that actual square footage is a lot less.

If JR does move forward with the proposed children's clinic, in left field, that does look expensive. Who knows, maybe US Cellular will add more money. Maybe they kept the initial rehab amount small in case they did not like the progress thus far.

A.T. Money
04-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Everything is good except for the scoreboard. The current pinwheel alignment is just dandy.

If you're going to add two more to the left and right, then you need to put one smack in the middle.

Yorke97
04-01-2004, 04:55 PM
I don't see how it's possible that it would be more expensive. There is really no destruction involved. How could puttin up a few steel posts and and steel frame, concrete and a roof use up the rest. I think the deal came out to 45 mil in '04 dollars, the ud costs about 28, so I doubt 17 mil wold be needed for that.

It's not about destruction. It would be much harder and time consuming to build around the existing structure. Ask the Packers or The fightin' Irish, did the construction CO. demand MORE or LESS pay in order keep the original bowl intact without damaging it. Tell me where all the money for this is going to come from?

Yorke97
04-01-2004, 05:01 PM
IIRC, Hangar's pic looks like it was based on the actual architect's drawings, which he posted some time ago. It looks like the "porch" is the same one from the drawings, minus the billboards. Ergo, if there will be a "HR porch," it probably will look exactly like that.

That is a drawing that is at least two years old. The scoreboard is in it's old configuration, and it says "Comiskey Park" on it. The original drawing also had NO rennovations to the upper deck. This is most likely an architect's drawing, yes, but it's outdated to well before the Sox deal with US Cellular. This drawing was probably picked off of a scrap heap of drawings that hit the cutting room floor PRIOR to the $$$ being directed to the upper deck.

maurice
04-01-2004, 06:12 PM
That is a drawing that is at least two years old.

Therefore, the Sox necessarily completely scapped this design and redesigned the "porch," and we can say with absolute certainty that "it will look nothing like that." Interesting theory.

The original drawing also had NO rennovations to the upper deck.

Wrong again. The "porch" drawing Hangar used was accompanied by a pic showing UD renovations. The UD pic looks exactly like the UD roof they just constructed, right down to the white panels they're hanging now, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence. After all, they pics are two years old!

It's not about destruction. It would be much harder and time consuming to build around the existing structure.

Harder and more time consuming than what? There's no way it costs more than this offseason's improvements. The entire UD project was built around the existing structure. Every steel beam was fitted onto the original concrete structure. They also did work that is not apparent from the outside of the building.

Yorke97
04-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Therefore, the Sox necessarily completely scapped this design and redesigned the "porch," and we can say with absolute certainty that "it will look nothing like that." Interesting theory.

BTW, the "porch" drawing Hangar used was accompanied by a pic showing UD renovations. The UD pic looks exactly like the UD roof they just constructed, right down to the white panels they're hanging now, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence. After all, they pics are two years old!

If you actually look at the accomanying picture you speak of, you see that the "porch" does not extend over the right field seats at all, but instead the concourse. The picture just gives that impression beacuse there is a roof over it.

maurice
04-01-2004, 06:25 PM
While wishful thinking springs eternal, if there will be a "HR porch" as some have chosen to call it, it will look nothing like that. If one is built, it will essentially be an extention of the RF bleachers over the outfield concourse.

If there will be a "HR porch," it probably will look exactly like that.

If you actually look at the accomanying picture you speak of, you see that the "porch" does not extend over the right field seats at all, but instead the concourse. The picture just gives that impression beacuse there is a roof over it.

It's awfully nice of you to concede that you were wrong.

Yorke97
04-01-2004, 06:35 PM
If you're going to post a reply with three quotes on it, you can at least try to READ all of them. Concede my .....

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 06:48 PM
If you're going to post a reply with three quotes on it, you can at least try to READ all of them. Concede my .....

the "PORCH" extends OVER THE SEATING AREA, and its NOT by
the concourse.

Yorke97
04-01-2004, 06:50 PM
show me

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 07:05 PM
show me

Brother Yorke, I know your new and all. But I will Gladly Oblige.

1st. Look at the Home Run Porch

2nd Go to the Upper Deck, and Note where the Placement
of the BEAM supporting the ROOF is. From the Last row of the
Upper Deck to the First row of the Upper Deck....Its Safe to Say
the Support BEAM is in the MIDDLE correct?

3rd Now Follow said BEAM downwards, and note that its
Placement is towards the REAR of the Lower Deck.

4th If The BEAM is towards the REAR of the LowerDeck,
all you would have to do is AGAIN go to the UPPER DECK,
and you can see that a major portion of the Upper Deck
extends Downward, towards the Field, and OVER THE SEATING
AREA.

I admit, I mostly know this, because the Other Drawings put out by HKS (which they secretly took down undercover of nite only days after it was put up last year) show a view of the UD OVERHANGING the Lower Deck entirely (except over the BPBar)

Yorke97
04-01-2004, 07:21 PM
hangar

I appreciate your genorosity in this matter, but the picture I am reffering to is the grainy picture that also has the new UD as well as the "grand entrance" in the LF corner. That picture does not clearly have a "deck" to a "porch" in it, much less the ability to decipher the placement of an individual pole.

The picture at the beggining of this post DOES have an overhanging deck on it, THAT I will concede, but many things have happened to USCF since that drawing that are not depicted in it, thus it loses credibility. The Grainy picture, however, does have the revised UD and color scheme, which would naturally give me, and others I hope, the impression of what Uncle Jerry and HOK have in mind for our beloved team.

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 07:26 PM
hangar

I appreciate your genorosity in this matter, but the picture I am reffering to is the grainy picture that also has the new UD as well as the "grand entrance" in the LF corner. That picture does not clearly have a "deck" to a "porch" in it, much less the ability to decipher the placement of an individual pole.

The picture at the beggining of this post DOES have an overhanging deck on it, THAT I will concede, but many things have happened to USCF since that drawing that are not depicted in it, thus it loses credibility. The Grainy picture, however, does have the revised UD and color scheme, which would naturally give me, and others I hope, the impression of what Uncle Jerry and HOK have in mind for our beloved team.

OH....ok. I didnt know you were looking at the other picture.
(doing his best Vincent Gambini) Urrrr Honah, I move to
remove dat ferst..........grainny.......Crud covered picture........
in favor of da first one in my Tred and from Evidence

Yorke97
04-01-2004, 07:29 PM
BTW Love that movie,

"Deese Yutes,"

"YUTES!?"

"Yeah,Yutes."

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 07:34 PM
ALSO.......I only used that Particular Drawing, mainly to Depict My Changes to the LF COncourse and the SCoreboard. THE UD just happened to be in the pic, I probably shouldve had a Disclaimer at the Bottom ...

UPPER DECK NOT INCLUDED and Sold Separately. TEAM MAY SUBSTITUTE UPPER DECK AT ITS DISCRETION WITH ANOTHER UPPERDECK OF EQUAL OR LESSER VALUE, copyright 2004
COUPONS FOR HOMERUN PORCHES NOT VALID WITH ANY OTHER OFFERS

Frank the Tank
04-01-2004, 07:51 PM
I know that there are a lot of high hopes for the home run landing, but I have 2 problems with it:

1. A home run porch in just RF will look awkward. Especially if there are noticeable gaps between the fan deck in center and the right side of the existing upper deck.

2. I think it is too much of a knock-off of The Ballpark in Arlington. I would prefer something original.

I know that rumors are flying that White Sox management is considering moving their offices to an outside location that will be connected to the left field portion of the outfield concourse, but I would prefer and recommend putting "home-run landings" in both outfields. Why not put an upperdeck on both sides of the outfield concouse? It would have 2 huge advantages in my opinion:

1. Would look much better (even look a bit like old Comiskey)
2. Increase the capacity of the Cell. It would pay for itself very quickly from the cubs/sox series alone.

The only problem I see with putting a upper deck to the outfield concourse is the removal of billboard revenue.

Yorke97
04-01-2004, 07:57 PM
I agree with you, Frank. I'd like to see something much more original for our park. And I also feel that if a deck goes on one side, there should be one on the other. That's something missing from today's stadiums, they're too concerned about having a downtown view though the outfield to consider that there could be good seats there instead of 150 feet away from the action in the nosebleed seats. The only stadiums with Ud's in the outfield are the nearly extinct cookie cutter multi-purpose stadiums of the 70's.

maurice
04-01-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
Why not put an upperdeck on both sides of the outfield concouse?

Two possible reasons: (1) it would coast twice as much, and (2) they may think the park is too symetrical and want to put an OF feature on only one side (ala Pac Bell and Camden Yards) to break it up.

IMHO, the best proposed renovations would be the cheapest, because they would generate rental income and provide a draw to casual fans. First, build the "grand entrance" building and Hangar's mini-buildngs, and then rent the space year-round. Second, build mixed-use buildings all along 35th St. and all along Wentworth to hide the parking lots and to provide a neighborhood look to folks approaching the park from the Ryan or the Red Line.

Yorke97
04-01-2004, 08:08 PM
I LOVE the idea of a grand entrance. The single worst part of USCF in those hideous ramps. It would provide curb appeal or "Dan Ryan Appeal."

Frank the Tank
04-01-2004, 08:16 PM
A complete upper deck in the outfield would cost more, but think of how much more it would make for the club. Take four games that can be counted on being sold out every year: The home opener and cubs/sox series:

3,000 extra seats X $15 ticket = $45,000
1,000 extra parking X $15 = $15,000
$5 Concession X 3,000 seats = $15,000
Total each sold out game = $ 75,000 x 4 games = at least $300,000 extra revenue a year.

Now imagine if the sox go to the playoffs.

Yorke97
04-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Then again, it's just more empty ugly blue seats to look at on TV.

batmanZoSo
04-01-2004, 09:24 PM
2. I think it is too much of a knock-off of The Ballpark in Arlington. I would prefer something original.

I agree.

Put one in left field, with the same roof as the rest of the park. You can have poles to hold up the roof near the top like the UD, but don't have a pole-supported HR porch. That's a total clash of design.

We want it to be Sox related so we should have the same arches like we did in left field at old comiskey. Of course we had them on both sides, but left field always loooked better in pictures, wasn't blocked by anything in the grandstand, and you could see trees through it. I would bring that upper deck as far in as a non-pole structure would allow so that Frank can hit some bombs up there.

The best possible solution would be to open up RF completely from billboards and scoreboards and revamp the area beyond it to provide a nice view. Build a big park with trees back there and a tall monument visible from inside the park.

So instead of a bunch of billboards and scoreboards, you have an upper deck in left, a great scoreboard in center, a nice looking park and a multi purpose building in the RF corner much like the one seen in that computer rendering that's been posted here. (im not talking about the huge thing, just the part that sits above the LF concourse in that pic....but you'd put it in right since the UD would be in left).

DannyCaterFan
04-01-2004, 10:30 PM
I absolutely love that look of a right field porch. Hope it overhangs the field like in Detroit. One thing though, that clock on the scoreboard should resemble the old "Longines" clock at old Comiskey. Your drawing's clock looks too much like the clock atop Wrigley's board.

nasox
04-01-2004, 11:53 PM
I love the design, but I think that the buildings in LF are big enough. I think a two story design would be nicer and would allow for a more bolder visible facade plus more revenue. And then the view of the expressways would be blocked for good from the lower bowl at least and maybe from parts of the upper deck (doubtful here). The expressway view doesn't really matter (because I do not know if it will be blocked-either way as i said, doesn't matter). But whaddya think about two story buildings?
As far as the rest of the stuff, the park looks great. I like a little asymmetry.

pinwheels3530
04-02-2004, 05:31 AM
Everybody go back to the HKSINC website click on the us cellur page, and look at the picture on the left side with the title upperdeck and you will see the billboards are not there. That looks like a generic hr porch that starts on top of the outfield concourse not over the seats. If this is what the sox are going to build this sucks. This deck looks like all the mini decks they have in all these new parks with no roof on it. I also read on another thread that the deck will start on the last row of the bleachers over the concourse. The only reason i think they would push it back that far is cause they don't want to block the view of the stadium clubs view of the scoreboard this sucks!

We are getting a little league park at the old comiskey site
yeessssss!

Hangar18
04-02-2004, 09:29 AM
I know that there are a lot of high hopes for the home run landing, but I have 2 problems with it:

And where do you think Texas got the Idea to build an UpperDeck from? Original Comiskey. Ironic huh?

soxnut
04-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
!

yeessssss!

Am I missing something? I don't see that... :(:

CubKilla
04-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Everybody go back to the HKSINC website click on the us cellur page, and look at the picture on the left side with the title upperdeck and you will see the billboards are not there. That looks like a generic hr porch that starts on top of the outfield concourse not over the seats. If this is what the sox are going to build this sucks. This deck looks like all the mini decks they have in all these new parks with no roof on it.

I didn't see this pic. The only pics I saw on the HKS site are the renderings of the renovations this year.

soxnut
04-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I didn't see this pic. The only pics I saw on the HKS site are the renderings of the renovations this year.

I can see the new deck in rf in the pic on the left side. But I don't know where the little league information is. :?: :(:

CubKilla
04-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Am I missing something? I don't see that... :(:

It has been bantered around. It's not official yet I don't think. From what I've heard, it will incorporate the old home plate from the REAL Comiskey Park and there will also be a Wiffle Ball field built.

"I hope those Little Leaguers have money to make up for my lost parking revenue!"

soxnut
04-02-2004, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CubKilla
[B]It has been bantered around. It's not official yet I don't think. From what I've heard, it will incorporate the old home plate from the REAL Comiskey Park and there will also be a Wiffle Ball field built.

That would be a great idea. From that post though, it made it sound like it was currently on that site.

But seriously, I wonder if they'll make a parking lot somewhere else. Or maybe there a plans in the works to make some parking garages, w/ usable retail residential space where the lots are currently?

IronFisk
04-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Everybody go back to the HKSINC website click on the us cellur page, and look at the picture on the left side with the title upperdeck and you will see the billboards are not there. That looks like a generic hr porch that starts on top of the outfield concourse not over the seats. If this is what the sox are going to build this sucks. This deck looks like all the mini decks they have in all these new parks with no roof on it. I also read on another thread that the deck will start on the last row of the bleachers over the concourse. The only reason i think they would push it back that far is cause they don't want to block the view of the stadium clubs view of the scoreboard this sucks!

yeessssss!

OOOPS! Another slip-up from HKS. I can see that now, not that it will look good by any means, but I think that's what they will do. You're right, a true HR porch would seriously block the view from the stadium club, and thats a bozo no-no in Jerry's book.

Hey, at least it will mean that a few of those nasty billboards will come down. Better get on their site before they "find" this error as well.

Rush20
04-02-2004, 01:51 PM
First - Great catch on the HKS website. I would have glossed right over the first image. Obviously they doctored the Phase IV rehab drawings with the "Turner Billboard".

If this is indeed what they propose for Phase V, I will be disappointed primarily because you can't call it a Home Run Porch, deck, etc. unless you actually have a chance to hit a home run into it. If this deck, platform, etc. is above the concourse, how many home runs will actually travel that far? Not too many.

I was hoping for an old-time upper deck that actually hung over the field by a few feet to "catch" home runs that would have stayed within the park. I understand the concerns of the sportsbar view of the scoreboard, however I think that should be a minor consideration. The Stadium Club especially.

If this drawing is accurate, the build should be covered easily by the remaining $28M plus their plans for LF.

Honestly, I think Phase V is going to be less than what I previously expected based on the drawing that sneaked out earlier. :(:

skobabe8
04-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Please, front office, do phase V right!! Make it a true home run porch! I can understand the UD not hanging over the field, but it HAS to be over at least the majority of the seats, not just the concourse! You mean to tell me this design would be scrapped because 50 people in Stadium Club won't get to see 'kiss cam' during a game? C'mon! Make it like Old Comiskey (may she rest in peace). We're not coppying off of ANYONE! (Yeah, I'm talking to you Texas) If anything, they all coppied off us!

As far as puttin a UD in LF, too? I vote no. I like hangar's pics and the grand entrance out there.

BeerHandle
04-02-2004, 11:05 PM
I will answer a few questions.

The homerun deck is planned to start from the last row in the right field seats all the way to the current billboard.

The homerun deck has been in the worlks for many years (probably as long as the Arlington)

I love the look the Hangar developed; however, I never believed it to be a double decker outfield. I believed it to be similar to the fan deck.

The current fan deck may be renamed the "Jack Daniels" Fan Deck.

Our new ballpark will be one of the best in baseball. It is already better then slum on the Northside. That place stinks and is falling apart.

Frank the Tank
04-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Seriously, how in the world can anyone get excited about a "home-run landing" that starts at the last row of the bleachers in right field? I mean, I really hope managment learned their lesson with the Upper Deck. The real problem with the upper deck wasn't the steepness. It wasn't the fact that there was no roof. The problem was it was too far from the field.

Greg1983
04-03-2004, 02:01 PM
Forgive me if I'm ignorant of something here, or perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, but why wouldn't the Sox put the porch in left field rather than right? I guess if Tiger Stadium or the Ballpark in Arlington is the model, then you go with right field, but I'm thinking more fans would be inclined to sit in the left field stands where more home runs are hit.

just a thought