PDA

View Full Version : Prior this, Passion that...

1951Campbell
03-31-2004, 11:26 PM
For ****'s sake, is this a Sox board or what?

Dub25
03-31-2004, 11:33 PM
I agree. How about the fact the Royals put something like 5 pitchers on the DL today. Runelvys Hernandez, Mike Macdougal and Chris George to the minors who was apart of the rotation last year. The Flubs are not even in the same division.

voodoochile
03-31-2004, 11:39 PM
:threadrules:

Sox fans rule! Cub haters drool!

santo=dorf
03-31-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
:threadrules:

Sox fans rule! Cub haters drool!

Ugh, yet another thread about Prior.

HomeFish
04-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Dub25
I agree. How about the fact the Royals put something like 5 pitchers on the DL today. Runelvys Hernandez, Mike Macdougal and Chris George to the minors who was apart of the rotation last year. The Flubs are not even in the same division.

The Cubs threaten the existance of our very way of life; the Royals do not.

gogosoxgogo
04-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by HomeFish

Yeah, and it's not like the Royals actually matter when we're trying to get to the playoffs, right? Afterall, we can go 6-156 so long as the six wins are against the Cubs and everything will be perfect.

SSN721
04-01-2004, 07:38 AM
We have to win against the Royals to get to the playoffs and eventually reclaim our rightful spot as the dominant team in this city. So I am much more concerned about injuries to pitching staffs in our own division then the Cubs. As much as I hate the Cubs.

anewman35
04-01-2004, 07:41 AM

I don't understand people who say things like this. Sure, the Royals matter. The Cubs do too. Is there some limit to the number of threads we can have? Is there a reason people can't discuss both?

SSN721
04-01-2004, 07:55 AM
And I do hate them an awful lot.

CLR01
04-01-2004, 08:39 AM

You need to take a long break from baseball.

Kilroy
04-01-2004, 08:41 AM

http://www.just4yucks.com/images/5x/58407.gif

Guess which one is you...

voodoochile
04-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
I don't understand people who say things like this. Sure, the Royals matter. The Cubs do too. Is there some limit to the number of threads we can have? Is there a reason people can't discuss both?

No, but you have to admit that the flubbie hating has reached a ridiculous level around here recently. People practically cheering for Prior's injury, and talking about the flubbies all the time.

I for one first came to this site to get away from trolls and flubbie baseball. This is intended as a refuge for Sox fans to talk Sox baseball. When the majority of the posts are about Prior, flubbie media coverage and whining about lack of respect, it really sucks!

Sox fans looking bitter, resentful and happy about star player's injurys does NOT make our bandwagon look attractive to the casual fan trying to decide who to root for.

Compare the two sides:

Sox fans: Flubbies suck, Ha ha Prior's injured, our owner is an ass, our GM is an idiot, our manger is moron and our most recognized player is hated by a fair percentage of the fanbase. Oh, have I mentioned the Flubbies suck and Prior is injured?

Cubs fans: Just ignore the whiners, come on down for some beer, babes and sunshine. We should make the playoffs again this year.

Now, which side sounds more appealing?

You are worried about keeping the Sox alive? What are YOU doing to make that a reality?

anewman35
04-01-2004, 09:48 AM
Sox fans looking bitter, resentful and happy about star player's injurys does NOT make our bandwagon look attractive to the casual fan trying to decide who to root for.

Compare the two sides:

Sox fans: Flubbies suck, Ha ha Prior's injured, our owner is an ass, our GM is an idiot, our manger is moron and our most recognized player is hated by a fair percentage of the fanbase. Oh, have I mentioned the Flubbies suck and Prior is injured?

Cubs fans: Just ignore the whiners, come on down for some beer, babes and sunshine. We should make the playoffs again this year.

I'm fully with you there, but Cub bashing is the least of our problems (as you mention). I've often thought that any non-Sox fan who came to this site would think we're crazy, because even the moderators and regulars seem to hate almost everybody involved in the organization. And it doesn't help our cause any when newspaper articles quote people here saying bad things about the Sox.

Bashing JR and the entire organization is ok, though! It's bashing the Cubs that ruins everything!

Fans are allowed to hate other teams. I know plenty of Cubs fans who hate the White Sox, don't fool yourself into thinking they don't. Funny, though, I don't recall many Cubs fans complaining that THEIR OWN TEAM is, what was it, Cheap, Timid, and Stupid? Something like that.

voodoochile
04-01-2004, 10:00 AM
I'm fully with you there, but Cub bashing is the least of our problems (as you mention). I've often thought that any non-Sox fan who came to this site would think we're crazy, because even the moderators and regulars seem to hate almost everybody involved in the organization. And it doesn't help our cause any when newspaper articles quote people here saying bad things about the Sox.

Bashing JR and the entire organization is ok, though! It's bashing the Cubs that ruins everything!

Fans are allowed to hate other teams. I know plenty of Cubs fans who hate the White Sox, don't fool yourself into thinking they don't. Funny, though, I don't recall many Cubs fans complaining that THEIR OWN TEAM is, what was it, Cheap, Timid, and Stupid? Something like that.

I think you have a point, but honestly, the management team for the Sox deserves to be bashed and this is one of the places to do it free from any outside influence and where you can find a sympathetic ear (eye?).

Now explain how constantly bashing the flubbies on a Sox fan website fits into the goals and aims of this board? I've been shoveling crappy whiney threads into the PL at a record pace recently. Honestly, it gets old. Go bash the flubbies on the Troll boards...

anewman35
04-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Now explain how constantly bashing the flubbies on a Sox fan website fits into the goals and aims of this board? I've been shoveling crappy whiney threads into the PL at a record pace recently. Honestly, it gets old. Go bash the flubbies on the Troll boards...

If threads like this are better in the PL, that's fine with me, I don't start them, I just respond. I'm curious, though - I really don't know the details of exactly who's in charge of what aspects of the board, or if all the moderators are generally in agreement, but if talking about the Cubs doesn't matter, and we shouldn't do it, why is one of the icon choices a crossed out Cubs logo? Why are many of the tags anti-Cubs?

delben91
04-01-2004, 10:12 AM
No, but you have to admit that the flubbie hating has reached a ridiculous level around here recently. People practically cheering for Prior's injury, and talking about the flubbies all the time.

I for one first came to this site to get away from trolls and flubbie baseball. This is intended as a refuge for Sox fans to talk Sox baseball. When the majority of the posts are about Prior, flubbie media coverage and whining about lack of respect, it really sucks!

Compare the two sides:

You are worried about keeping the Sox alive? What are YOU doing to make that a reality?

Now that is what we need some more of around here. Yes, you're allowed to hate the Cubs, but don't allow the Cubs to be your focus. As a Sox fan, even if you're bashing their most recent move, or lack thereof, I'd think you'd be focused on the Sox and if you hear something about the Cubs you'd think, "oh, really, that's interesting" or at least that's how I tend to approach it.

Bottom line, the season starts monday, let's get hyped (as much as we can) about the Sox.

voodoochile
04-01-2004, 10:13 AM
If threads like this are better in the PL, that's fine with me, I don't start them, I just respond. I'm curious, though - I really don't know the details of exactly who's in charge of what aspects of the board, or if all the moderators are generally in agreement, but if talking about the Cubs doesn't matter, and we shouldn't do it, why is one of the icon choices a crossed out Cubs logo? Why are many of the tags anti-Cubs?

Because we recognize that it is part of the psyche of Sox fans doesn't mean that is the main reason WSI exists.

Go ahead, take another look. What percentage of those tags are anti-flubbies? I'll wait your answer...

anewman35
04-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Because we recognize that it is part of the psyche of Sox fans doesn't mean that is the main reason WSI exists.

Go ahead, take another look. What percentage of those tags are anti-flubbies? I'll wait your answer...

I realize it's a small percentage, just as a small percentage of posts are about the Cubs (if you notice, most of these threads are debating the correctness of hating the Cubs, not about hating the Cubs themselves). The Cubs best player is hurt, it's big news, there's not a whole lot going on, so people talk about it. Monday, we'll be playing games that count, and I'm sure people will endlessly discuss every little detail of them - if a few posts bashing the Cubs or Prior slip through, who cares?

Jerko
04-01-2004, 10:37 AM

Well, somebody started a thread about that and it has like 6 responses. Cub hating is more prevalant than Royal hating even though we share the same division with KC. Maybe we don't take them as a serious enought threat to warrant such hatred, and we don't have them shoved down our craws every day either. Yes, this is a Sox board, but what is there to talk about right now, April 1, 2004? Harris v. Uribe? Who's worse, Koch or Zero? Timo Rios, er I mean, Perez? Shoe v. Wright? Sounds like a bad court case. Even the Sox stuff we DO talk about is Cub like; how's the field look, what promotions should we have, should we get field level seats, it goes on and on. Just be patient until the season starts; I'm sure we'll have a lot more to talk about then.

voodoochile
04-01-2004, 10:42 AM
I realize it's a small percentage, just as a small percentage of posts are about the Cubs (if you notice, most of these threads are debating the correctness of hating the Cubs, not about hating the Cubs themselves). The Cubs best player is hurt, it's big news, there's not a whole lot going on, so people talk about it. Monday, we'll be playing games that count, and I'm sure people will endlessly discuss every little detail of them - if a few posts bashing the Cubs or Prior slip through, who cares?

I agree, but recently it has been a LOT more than "a few". I would have moved this thread to the PL as it doesn't meet my standards for the Clubhouse, but I felt something needed to be said and I am glad to see someone else agreed - so I left it where it will get the most attention...

1951Campbell
04-01-2004, 12:57 PM
...they don't sell the Trib or Sun-Times close to where I live. I have no other Sox fans at school with me. So other than my dad, this is the only place to talk Sox stuff for me. So I'd rather hear about...the Sox, and teams we play more than 6 times a year.

anewman35
04-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
...they don't sell the Trib or Sun-Times close to where I live. I have no other Sox fans at school with me. So other than my dad, this is the only place to talk Sox stuff for me. So I'd rather hear about...the Sox, and teams we play more than 6 times a year.

Last I checked, there were plenty of threads about the Sox, too. And you could always start more, if you'd like.

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 01:15 PM

1951Campbell, how would you like to be SOX Fan Club charter member of our Carlisle PA/Central PA Chapter? This would involve you taking up the Cause by wearing your SOX stuff EVERYWHERE, and I mean EVERYWHERE. You would engage like-minded persons in WhiteSox talk and discussion. You could have informal gatherings where you can all Watch the SOX on Cable .......... Things like that snowball ...... step up and be
a leader. Are you the Biggest Fan in Carlisle PA ?? :smile:

Baby Fisk
04-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
1951Campbell, how would you like to be SOX Fan Club charter member of our Carlisle PA/Central PA Chapter? This would involve you taking up the Cause by wearing your SOX stuff EVERYWHERE, and I mean EVERYWHERE. You would engage like-minded persons in WhiteSox talk and discussion. You could have informal gatherings where you can all Watch the SOX on Cable .......... Things like that snowball ...... step up and be

Damn Straight! I just voted for myself for the position of Secretary-Treasurer of the Toronto Chapter for 2004. One of these years, I'm going to elect myself President!

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 01:23 PM
I agree, but recently it has been a LOT more than "a few". I would have moved this thread to the PL as it doesn't meet my standards for the Clubhouse, but I felt something needed to be said and I am glad to see someone else agreed - so I left it where it will get the most attention...

I see where your coming from, and to a point I agree. Let me preface this by saying I didnt grow up immediately hating the cubs. Its been years and years of festering that has made
me who I am now, able to cheer their Misfortune. Unfortuneately, I caught on early that this has been mostly because of a media slant than anything else. Unfair & Unjust

1951Campbell
04-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Hell, I'm the only fan in Carlisle!

daveeym
04-01-2004, 01:38 PM
It's been a lot more than a few because of A. The games that matter haven't started. B. The crappy offseason moves. C. The way the sox played last year and D. because the cubs have a legit shot.

Once the games start i don't think there will be a cubby focus unless the sox tank right from the start. Honestly, right now there isn't much to talk about regarding the sox until the games start since nothing's really changed since the last game last year. Shingo's, Schoe, Willy and PKGIDP have been beaten to a pulp all winter.

KingXerxes
04-01-2004, 01:46 PM
:reinsy

"I love it when White Sox fans become obsessed with the Cubs. They should be obsessed because it's the Cubs who have kept this team under-salaried, under-marketed and micromanaged over the past twenty five years. It was due to the Cubs that we aren't able to get five warm bodies as a starting rotation. It's the Cubs who brought us Stephen, and constant sound drops, and annoying commercials - and it will ultimately be the Cubs who unveil our new purple and mauve uniforms.........oops - did I speak too soon about the uniforms?"

:hawk

"I don't think so Mr. Reinsdorf, anyway purple and mauve are my two favorite colors............yessir...........real baseball colors like back in 1967 when I was playing with the Carmines. I hate the Cubs Mr. Reinsdorf because they do all these bad things to your club............"

:reinsy

"That's a good Ken."

CHISOXFAN13
04-01-2004, 01:55 PM
For ****'s sake, is this a Sox board or what?

Post of the week...hell this would get my vote for post of the offseason!

97 hours and 15 minutes until we begin the trek to the AL Central crown.

Palehose13
04-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Well, somebody started a thread about that and it has like 6 responses. Cub hating is more prevalant than Royal hating even though we share the same division with KC. Maybe we don't take them as a serious enought threat to warrant such hatred, and we don't have them shoved down our craws every day either. Yes, this is a Sox board, but what is there to talk about right now, April 1, 2004? Harris v. Uribe? Who's worse, Koch or Zero? Timo Rios, er I mean, Perez? Shoe v. Wright? Sounds like a bad court case. Even the Sox stuff we DO talk about is Cub like; how's the field look, what promotions should we have, should we get field level seats, it goes on and on. Just be patient until the season starts; I'm sure we'll have a lot more to talk about then.

I think maybe we don't know who to "hate" in our division, so we might be focusing a little more on that minor league team on the north side.

Since I have been a fan, I have hated Oakland, Toronto, Cleveland, and Minnesota...Why? They were our main competition. Our division is so up for grabs this year, I think we are waiting to see who we should "hate"... :?:

Dub25
04-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
I think maybe we don't know who to "hate" in our division, so we might be focusing a little more on that minor league team on the north side.

Since I have been a fan, I have hated Oakland, Toronto, Cleveland, and Minnesota...Why? They were our main competition. Our division is so up for grabs this year, I think we are waiting to see who we should "hate"... :?:

Sorry that I can't figure out how to get 2 qoutes together but you were qouting Jerko who was Quoting me. I wasn't saying let's hate the Royals. I was just trying to point out that a team in the same division is getting weaker. But if we had to pick a team I would say the Twins are still the most hated.

Jerko
04-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Sorry that I can't figure out how to get 2 qoutes together but you were qouting Jerko who was Quoting me. I wasn't saying let's hate the Royals. I was just trying to point out that a team in the same division is getting weaker. But if we had to pick a team I would say the Twins are still the most hated.

I say we hate all AL central teams equally; maybe if the Sox hated the Tigers as much as they hated the Twins or Cubs, they would not have lost to them 9 times! We need the Archie Bunker mentality (baseball-wise, not life-wise); hate everybody equally.

minastirith67
04-01-2004, 02:59 PM
I personally dislike the Twins much more than the Cubs. I wish we'd see more Twin, KC, Cleveland, or even Detroit bashing. Or better yet, less bashing, and more enjoying America's pasttime.

TaylorStSox
04-01-2004, 03:19 PM
The Twins have embarrased us the last 3 years. They've been vocal about it as well. They've taken cheap shots at our stars (Pierzynski and Thomas). They're more arrogant than the Yankees. They're the team I hate. I couldn't care less about the Cubs.

Palehose13
04-01-2004, 03:23 PM

Oh, I'm not knocking anyone. I think we should focus ouur dislike on theams in the AL Central mre than the cubs, but I think it is especially hard this year with the media cubgasm and the lack of a "powerhosue" in our division. I still don't like the Twinkies the most, but they are a lot weaker this year. The royals...well, i kinda admire 'em for going from worst to decent last year. The indians and tiggers...well, they are too pathetic to "hate". I assume that as soon as this season gets underway and we know who our main competition is in the division, then we'll start focusing on them. But right now, looking at our division it's like..."we're all bad..." :o:

Palehose13
04-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
The Twins have embarrased us the last 3 years. They've been vocal about it as well. They've taken cheap shots at our stars (Pierzynski and Thomas). They're more arrogant than the Yankees. They're the team I hate. I couldn't care less about the Cubs.

Agreed, but whoever came out this offseason and said that the Sox were the best team in the division on paper made me hate them a little less. Then they lost a bunch of guys...

Iwritecode
04-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67
I personally dislike the Twins much more than the Cubs. I wish we'd see more Twin, KC, Cleveland, or even Detroit bashing. Or better yet, less bashing, and more enjoying America's pasttime.

It's hard to bash a team that we never really hear about or see quotes from or hear local radio DJ's talk about for hours on end.

That's the thing about the Cubs. Any news about them is basically shoved down our throats whether we like it or not.

About the only things we ever hear from the Twins or Royals camps are the blurbs on ESPN...

minastirith67
04-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
It's hard to bash a team that we never really hear about or see quotes from or hear local radio DJ's talk about for hours on end.

That's the thing about the Cubs. Any news about them is basically shoved down our throats whether we like it or not.

About the only things we ever hear from the Twins or Royals camps are the blurbs on ESPN...

Maybe that's why I don't listen to the Score or ESPN1000 (unless a Sox game is on and that's the only way I can hear it), or even watch ESPN on TV, because the media is a bunch of morons.

cubhater
04-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Oh, I'm not knocking anyone. I think we should focus ouur dislike on theams in the AL Central mre than the cubs, but I think it is especially hard this year with the media cubgasm and the lack of a "powerhosue" in our division. I still don't like the Twinkies the most, but they are a lot weaker this year. The royals...well, i kinda admire 'em for going from worst to decent last year. The indians and tiggers...well, they are too pathetic to "hate". I assume that as soon as this season gets underway and we know who our main competition is in the division, then we'll start focusing on them. But right now, looking at our division it's like..."we're all bad..." :o:

There are two teams I constantly can't stand...the Cubs and Yanks. When it comes to teams in our division, past and present, the hatred varies depending on the team. I couldn't stand KC in the late 70s-early 80s, then the late 80s Athletics with Dave Stewart and future steroid heads McGuire and Canseco, Cleveland because of their dominance and Belle during the mid-90s, Detroit for a couple years after our brawls, and now the Twins with their arrogance despite not winning anything substantial and trash talking us.