PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated Baseball Preview

Frank the Tank
03-31-2004, 08:12 PM
I just got the new SI 2004 Baseball preview in the mail and they predict the flubs to win the series! I was disturbed to read their "The Poll" of the state of Illinois. In the poll, Sports Illustrated predicts Illinois' baseball fanbase as being:

Chicago Cubs 57%
St. Louis Cardinals 13%
Chicago White Sox 13%

I am well aware that the Cubs are much more popular than the sox, but the Cardinal as #2 in the State? Is this possible or did the Sox get the usual media snub?

JohnBasedowYoda
03-31-2004, 08:19 PM
[i]

Chicago Cubs 57%
St. Louis Cardinals 13%
Chicago White Sox 13%

I am well aware that the Cubs are much more popular than the sox, but the Cardinal as #2 in the State? Is this possible or did the Sox get the usual media snub? [/B]

I think it's a suprise, but from what i gather folks in the southern, rural part of the state are either flubs (suprise) fans or cards fans. I don't have any hard evidence but it looks like the Sox have a lot of work to get some fans back. I do my part, taking new people to the park who've never seen a game. Also, bringing cheeseheads down to see games.

rmusacch
03-31-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
I just got the new SI 2004 Baseball preview in the mail and they predict the flubs to win the series! I was disturbed to read their "The Poll" of the state of Illinois. In the poll, Sports Illustrated predicts Illinois' baseball fanbase as being:

Chicago Cubs 57%
St. Louis Cardinals 13%
Chicago White Sox 13%

I am well aware that the Cubs are much more popular than the sox, but the Cardinal as #2 in the State? Is this possible or did the Sox get the usual media snub?

They have been doing all the states since mid last year. I think it is based on a poll that they do on si.com. Apparently more Cards and Cubs fans entered the poll. I have not received this issue yet but is the most popular pro team in the state the Bears?

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-31-2004, 08:23 PM
I do see a lot of cardinal fans up here near chicago. They must've jumped on the McGwire bandwagon while the cubs and white sox were winning nothing. There seems to be a lot of bandwagon fans in the state of Illinois as a whole. Cubs in 2003, Sox in 2000, and all the cardinal fans the past 6 years or so.

SEALgep
03-31-2004, 08:30 PM
They did extend Pujols. They hate the Cubs. Hmmmm. I'm buying a Cardinals hat. :D:

mantis1212
03-31-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I do see a lot of cardinal fans up here near chicago. They must've jumped on the McGwire bandwagon while the cubs and white sox were winning nothing. There seems to be a lot of bandwagon fans in the state of Illinois as a whole. Cubs in 2003, Sox in 2000, and all the cardinal fans the past 6 years or so.

I also think its a migration thing, a lot of families eventually move to the Chicago area from southern Illinois, after Cardinal fandom has attached to them. This also happens from the north, which is why Chicago has many Packers fans.

Railsplitter
03-31-2004, 09:08 PM
Springfield is an interesting case, as there are Cub, Sox, and Cardinal fans down there. When I was last there, the Springfield cable systym carrie Fox Sports Chicago and Fox Sports Midwest, which took care of the Cardinals.

WSox8404
03-31-2004, 09:10 PM

Chicago Cubs 57%
St. Louis Cardinals 13%
Chicago White Sox 13%

Is it just me or do those numbers add up to 83. What are the other 17 percent? Milwaukee fans?

doublem23
03-31-2004, 09:11 PM
Well, I only live in Peoria, but I can say that there are about equal Cub and Cardinal fans down here (at least among the townies). The local baseball team is the A-ball affiliate of the Cardinals and the local hockey team is an affiliate of the Blues. All in all, there seems to be a lot more people who feel attached to St. Louis and not Chicago. We get Fox Sports Midwest and Chicago, down here, too, so we get the Sox, Cubs, and Cards.

I would say probably more Ram fans than Bears.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I have not received this issue yet but is the most popular pro team in the state the Bears?

Shockingly, the answer is no. The Flubbies are obviously basking in the glow of the post-season glory rudely interrrupted by our hero, Steve Bartman.

Favorite Pro Team:
Cubs 32%
Bears 19%
Cards 10%
Sox 6%

This was interesting, too. "Enemies of State" were named as follows:

Brett Favre 32%
Bob Knight 7%
George Steinbrenner 7%
Jerry Reinsdorf 7%

Take a look at those numbers again. Reinsdorf made the list, but Wirtz didn't. Furthermore Reinsdorf received more votes for enemy of the state than the Sox got for favorite team. That means we Sox Fans got some help voting for Reinsdorf as enemy of the state. And they say we're negative...

:gulp:

jortafan
03-31-2004, 09:35 PM
I just got the new SI 2004 Baseball preview in the mail and they predict the flubs to win the series!

Just a thought about the Cub love from Sports Illustrated.

I still have a copy of the magazine's baseball preview from the 2000 season.

It featured Pedro Martinez on the cover, and boldly pronounced that 2000 was THE YEAR that the Red Sox would win the World Series.

In reality, 2000 was the year our team had the best record in the American League, and the World Series turned out to be between the two teams that make many Red Sox fans soil themselves -- the Yankees and the Mets.

Does this mean that this season will end with the Houston Astros having the best record in the National League, and the World Series will be played between the two teams guaranteed to PO Cubs fans -- our Sox and the St. Louis Cardinals?

I could live with that scenario.

santo=dorf
03-31-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Shockingly, the answer is no. The Flubbies are obviously basking in the glow of the post-season glory rudely interrrupted by our hero, Steve Bartman.

Favorite Pro Team:
Cubs 32%
Bears 19%
Cards 10%
Sox 6%

Brett Favre 32%
Bob Knight 7%
George Steinbrenner 7%
Jerry Reinsdorf 7%

Take a look at those numbers again. Reinsdorf made the list, but Wirtz didn't. Furthermore Reinsdorf received more votes for enemy of the state than the Sox got for favorite team. That means we Sox Fans got some help voting for Reinsdorf as enemy of the state. And they say we're negative...

I voted for Reinsy figuring Wirtz would run away with it. Maybe Blackhawks fans are too embarrased to come out from under the rocks. I am SHOCKED that more people voted for the Scrubs than the Bears. I am also surprised that the Sox made the list for favorite pro teams.

santo=dorf
03-31-2004, 09:57 PM
We are involved with the biggest rivalry.
Cubs-White Sox 46%
Cubs- Cardinals 25%

Bears-Packers didn't even register. Who knew baseball was this popular in Illinois? I also thought baseball was far behind football here.

Frankfan4life
03-31-2004, 10:02 PM

Favorite Pro Team:
Cubs 32%
Bears 19%
Cards 10%
Sox 6%

Brett Favre 32%
Bob Knight 7%
George Steinbrenner 7%
Jerry Reinsdorf 7%

The Cards are more popular in this state than the Bulls? What pro basketball team do people downstate support?

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
We are involved with the biggest rivalry.
Cubs-White Sox 46%
Cubs- Cardinals 25%

Bears-Packers didn't even register. Who knew baseball is this popular in Illinois. I also thought baseball was far behind football here.

Yeah, I find it totally unbelievable that the Bears-Packers rivalry didn't top this list by a wide margin. Just the effect of Sox vs. Cubs vs. Cards fans splitting their votes between the two baseball rivalries should have been more than enough to bury baseball way below the NFL.

I have serious doubts about the accuracy of this stupid survey.

MRKARNO
03-31-2004, 10:32 PM
I just think that they took this survey at a time when the Cubbie hype is at an all time high and this isn't a very accurate survery. I'm sure if they took it in November, the Bears would be no. 1 by a wide margin and Bears-Packers would top the list. The Sox would close the gap on the cubs because all of the Cubby bandwagon jumpers would jump on the bears bandwagon.

Now if they took 4 surveys with a 3 month interval between them, averaged them and conducted them like a real Zogby or USA Today Poll, then I would believe in the numbers, but as they are presented they are skewed.

Deadguy
03-31-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Well, I only live in Peoria, but I can say that there are about equal Cub and Cardinal fans down here (at least among the townies). The local baseball team is the A-ball affiliate of the Cardinals and the local hockey team is an affiliate of the Blues. All in all, there seems to be a lot more people who feel attached to St. Louis and not Chicago. We get Fox Sports Midwest and Chicago, down here, too, so we get the Sox, Cubs, and Cards.

I would say probably more Ram fans than Bears.

Yeah, it definitely seems split in Peoria, as far as Cubs and Cardinals fans are concerned. The White Sox don't seem to have much of a fan base at all around here.

The Chiefs used to actually be the affiliate of the Cubs, though. I remember watching Lance Dickson and Ty Griffin in the early 90s. Ty had this flashy car with a novelty license plate, so it was easy to see which appartment he lived in.

Frankfan4life
03-31-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I just think that they took this survey at a time when the Cubbie hype is at an all time high and this isn't a very accurate survery. I'm sure if they took it in November, the Bears would be no. 1 by a wide margin and Bears-Packers would top the list. The Sox would close the gap on the cubs because all of the Cubby bandwagon jumpers would jump on the bears bandwagon.

Now if they took 4 surveys with a 3 month interval between them, averaged them and conducted them like a real Zogby or USA Today Poll, then I would believe in the numbers, but as they are presented they are skewed.
I tend to agree. A lot of attention is being focused on the Cubs right now. Which is as it should be since they won their division last year and are in good shape to be contenders this year and none of the other Chicago sports teams have done as well lately. But if people could vote for any state's team then that wouldn't be a fair representation of how people in their own state actually feel.

Can anyone tell me how the Mets fared compared to the Yankees?

batmanZoSo
04-01-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Yeah, it definitely seems split in Peoria, as far as Cubs and Cardinals fans are concerned. The White Sox don't seem to have much of a fan base at all around here.

I lived in NW Indiana for a few years, and I met a lot of Sox fans. I wonder what the split is.

WhiteSox = Life
04-01-2004, 01:21 AM
Yeah, I find it totally unbelievable that the Bears-Packers rivalry didn't top this list by a wide margin. Just the effect of Sox vs. Cubs vs. Cards fans splitting their votes between the two baseball rivalries should have been more than enough to bury baseball way below the NFL.

I have serious doubts about the accuracy of this stupid survey.

Well, you know what they say, PHG: 98% of all statistics are made up.

:D:

HITMEN OF 77
04-01-2004, 01:55 AM
I know in Bradley, Illinois there are a ton of Card fans. A lot of them are my family and there friends. Everytime I go back I see more and more Card bumber stickers or license plate frames.

hsnterprize
04-01-2004, 07:04 AM
I don't know if we're talking about the same magazine, but there's a lot of Cubbie angst here in Chicago since Kerry Wood is on the cover of an SI magazine with a headline predicting the Cubs will win the World Series this year. Also, Wood and Mark Prior are on a TV Guide cover with the headline "Chicago Hope" on it. As if we really needed confirmation the Cubs weren't going to live up to the hype...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

cubhater
04-01-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
Just a thought about the Cub love from Sports Illustrated.

I still have a copy of the magazine's baseball preview from the 2000 season.

It featured Pedro Martinez on the cover, and boldly pronounced that 2000 was THE YEAR that the Red Sox would win the World Series.

In reality, 2000 was the year our team had the best record in the American League, and the World Series turned out to be between the two teams that make many Red Sox fans soil themselves -- the Yankees and the Mets.

Does this mean that this season will end with the Houston Astros having the best record in the National League, and the World Series will be played between the two teams guaranteed to PO Cubs fans -- our Sox and the St. Louis Cardinals?

I could live with that scenario.

I'll drink to that scenario! :gulp:

Bobby Thigpen
04-01-2004, 09:47 AM
I can wholeheartedly say that I'm shocked the Sox even tied the Cardinals. There aren't any other Sox fans even in the town I live in, and I've only met a handful of others in my lifetime outside of Chicago or Comiskey (and I don't think that my dad should count). Everyone down here is either a Cubs "fan" or a Cardinals fan. Most people down here don't even believe the Sox really exist.

Face it, we're outnumbered as Sox fans. This isn't a conspiracy either by the media or the poll makers. The Sox simply aren't a very popular franchise. It doesn't matter how many of our friends or relatives are Sox fans, overall there aren't that many of us. Whether that is because of bad marketing, or Reinsdorf, that can be argued. But in reality we are a dying breed.

CubKilla
04-01-2004, 09:54 AM
In the poll, Sports Illustrated predicts Illinois' baseball fanbase as being:

Chicago Cubs 57%
St. Louis Cardinals 13%
Chicago White Sox 13%

Southern Illinois is Cardinal Country because baseball fans downstate can get to Busch Stadium alot quicker and easier than to USCF or Wrigley. Additionally, FSN in Southern Illinois televises the St. Louis feeds..... not the Chicago feeds. Makes sense when you think about it.

BTW, almost every baseball and non-baseball publication I've read has picked the sCrUBS to win it all. That's great. How many of these "pros" picked Florida to win it all last season? "Playboy" is the last magazine I read to pick the sCrUBS to win it all.