PDA

View Full Version : Greg Walker, STUD

SEALgep
03-31-2004, 07:38 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040331&content_id=674988&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

This guy has been doing an excellent job thus far, and he's loving every minute of it. So am I. :smile:

ode to veeck
03-31-2004, 07:43 PM
Charlie Lau was a stud too.

poorme
03-31-2004, 08:01 PM
Widely acknowledged as having one of the sweetest swings in the game, it's a bit puzzling why Walker had such a mediocre career.

SEALgep
03-31-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Widely acknowledged as having one of the sweetest swings in the game, it's a bit puzzling why Walker had such a mediocre career. Seriously, but may he rectify it with a brilliant career as our hitting coach. :smile:

ChiSox14305635
03-31-2004, 09:14 PM
Widely acknowledged as having one of the sweetest swings in the game, it's a bit puzzling why Walker had such a mediocre career.

I think the seizure he suffered in '88 affected him quite a bit. He was never the same type of player.

Railsplitter
03-31-2004, 09:35 PM

Lau was a mediocre player, too. It could be a maifestation of the ole axiom: "Those who can do, those who can't teach."

RedPinStripes
03-31-2004, 10:08 PM
How many great players out there turn out to be great coaches or managers? Not many that i can think of off hand. Most of the time it's the average player or in Larussa's case : BAD player.

mike squires
03-31-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
I think the seizure he suffered in '88 affected him quite a bit. He was never the same type of player.

I was at that game in '88. We were all wandering why Walk wasn't in the line~up that day. There was a nice write up in Si (not sure which one) talking about how Herm saved his life that day by knocking out his front teeth so he could get his tounge and his family in Goergia. I always liked Greg. I have a lot of respect for him. Last year I took my seat to get him to sign it. He was standing around the cage and I called out his name. He said, "I'm working." After batting practice he came over and I apoligized." He was cool about it. Being 30, I still sometimes turn into a little kid and forget my mannors. Anyway...Greg is a stud.

Brian26
04-01-2004, 10:45 AM

I don't think he had a mediocre career for the years he was healthy. He put up pretty decent numbers from '84 to '87. Back then, 20 homerun seasons weren't automatic. A guy with 20 hrs and 80 rbis was considered pretty solid.

jeremyb1
04-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Its probably just the spring kool aid talking but I'm quite excited about seeing what Walker can do with these guys when given the reigns from the spring on. It seems most of the hitters are comfortable with him and have a consistent approach at the plate. I was never a big Gary Ward fan.

poorme
04-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Ok, let me re-phrase.

It's a bit puzzling why Walker was never more than a decent player, considering it was widely acknowledged that he had one of the sweetest swings in the game.

TDog
04-01-2004, 12:05 PM
I have had the opportunity to see Greg Walker working with hitters in Tucson. He is patient and works to get the most out of what hitters with different styles. He is also a great guy who treats fans with respect.

He says Joe Borchard is on the verge of having a breakout season.