PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking the Timo trade

lowesox
03-31-2004, 12:58 PM
I was just thinking about the Timo deal. I didn't have a beef with it at the time - in fact, I kind of liked it. But then I got to thinking this morning, and I thought all of the other teams are going to be making cuts right now. Wouldn't there be a player similar to Timo available for nothing? Now, I'm not sure about Chris Singleton's health - but if he's healthy he could be that guy. He can bunt, and steal and from what I remember he does a pretty decent job with RISP, which would make him a decent pinch bat.

The thing is, I really liked Ginter. And when you look at guys like Shoenweiss and Takatsu who are just being given roster spots on a silver platter it makes me angry. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't become a very good relief pitcher.

delben91
03-31-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by lowesox

The thing is, I really liked Ginter. And when you look at guys like Shoenweiss and Takatsu who are just being given roster spots on a silver platter it makes me angry. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't become a very good relief pitcher.

I'm rather sure that Ginter didn't have an options left. Thus, if he didn't make the team out of spring training, he'd have to clear waivers to be assigned to AAA. That would never happen and the Sox would've lost him for nothing since they weren't going to put him on the 25-man roster.

Also, "very good relief pitcher" might be a stretch. I won't be surprised if he's average to above average, but he's had several stints with the Sox and has an ERA over 5 and not exactly flashing a ton of signs that improvement was imminent. Just my opinion.

danjames
03-31-2004, 01:58 PM
What is this love affair with Chris Singleton for? The guy let more balls drop in front of him than anyone I can remember, always seemed to be hobbling with minor injuries, and had terrible bat speed. We might as well sign McKay Christensen.

SEALgep
03-31-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by danjames
What is this love affair with Chris Singleton for? The guy let more balls drop in front of him than anyone I can remember, always seemed to be hobbling with minor injuries, and had terrible bat speed. We might as well sign McKay Christensen. And that's the thing about Timo, he has very good defensive range. He'll catch the ball, and will be effective against right handed pitchers, and is a veteran with (World Series) experience. I think he's a solid extra outfielder, which we needed as far as a guy with true center field skills to back up Rowand.

davidleeroth
03-31-2004, 02:14 PM
What is this love affair with Chris Singleton for? The guy let more balls drop in front of him than anyone I can remember, always seemed to be hobbling with minor injuries, and had terrible bat speed. We might as well sign McKay Christensen.

what are you talking about? he was the best fielding centerfielder we've had in at least 15 years

HomeFish
03-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by davidleeroth
what are you talking about? he was the best fielding centerfielder we've had in at least 15 years

That's not saying much...

danjames
03-31-2004, 02:29 PM

Maybe I am suffering from selective memory, but it seemed to me that while Chris did take very good routes to balls, he was always a step too slow in center or always playing too far back, because I remember tons of balls landing just feet in front of him. It was like he was quick enough to get there with the ball, but not before it. Again though, this could be selective memory as I am not exactly the official Chris Singleton historian.

SoxBoy14
03-31-2004, 02:31 PM
what are you talking about? he was the best fielding centerfielder we've had in at least 15 years \

I preffered Carl Everett to Singleton. Singleton had better defense but Everett could flat out hit.

danjames
03-31-2004, 02:34 PM
I prefer Crazy Carl's offense to Singleton as well, but In Roth's defense he did say best fielding centerfielder.

Although even then...Mike Cameron always brought his glove to the park.

SoxBoy14
03-31-2004, 02:36 PM

Although even then...Mike Cameron always brought his glove to the park.

I forgot about Cameron, now there's another player the Sox should've hung on to.

danjames
03-31-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
I forgot about Cameron, now there's another player the Sox should've hung on to.

Cameron showed flashes, no doubt, but I don't think either the Sox or Cincy really "won" the Cameron for Konerko deal. Cameron has good pop in his bat and stellar defense, but a ton of Ks and a low average, meanwhile Konerko ties up the basepaths and is in love with the GIDP, but when he is on fire, he is one of the best hitters in the lineup. Just a bit streaky.

Sort of a wash.

My "guy" in CF was always Brian Simmons. I don't even know why. average speed, good D, little stick (I don't remember how he hit in the minors) But I remember thinking that he really had a chance to do something, and he never did.

Bobby Thigpen
03-31-2004, 02:43 PM
One Dog, Lance Johnson. End of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

WinningUgly!
03-31-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
One Dog, Lance Johnson. End of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Ya beat me to it!

jeremyb1
03-31-2004, 03:00 PM

I like Ginter too but I think the decision to leave him off the roster, thus exposing him to the waivers process and likely leading to his departure, was made long before the Timo deal. He wasn't going to make the roster if we opted not to deal him.

SSN721
03-31-2004, 03:10 PM
We might as well sign McKay Christensen.

Really? You think we can really get him? How much would we have to give up to nab that guy? :D:

Risk
03-31-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Ya beat me to it!

Ditto

Risk

seventytwo
03-31-2004, 04:19 PM
I was just thinking about the Timo deal. I didn't have a beef with it at the time - in fact, I kind of liked it. But then I got to thinking this morning, and I thought all of the other teams are going to be making cuts right now. Wouldn't there be a player similar to Timo available for nothing? Now, I'm not sure about Chris Singleton's health - but if he's healthy he could be that guy. He can bunt, and steal and from what I remember he does a pretty decent job with RISP, which would make him a decent pinch bat.

Singleton couldn't bunt his way out of a paper bag. A great quality for a supposed "speed-burner."

SEALgep
03-31-2004, 07:24 PM
Timo, although it has been a limited showing, has done well for us so far. Has an a throw out from a guy trying to advance to third on a single, and a few hits. Went 2 for 5 today.

StillMissOzzie
04-01-2004, 03:29 AM

My "guy" in CF was always Brian Simmons. I don't even know why. average speed, good D, little stick (I don't remember how he hit in the minors) But I remember thinking that he really had a chance to do something, and he never did.

Simmons injured himself in ST two years in a row just before they were to break camp and head north a few years ago. IIRC, he would have made the team both of those years. I have lost track of him though. Anyone else know where he is? Still in MLB?

SMO
:gulp:

daslobo
04-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Chet Lemon was the best centerfielder of my lifetime.