PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts 3.31.04

Hangar18
03-31-2004, 01:44 PM
Went out for a cold brew and some wings. My buddy was seated near a group of fellas at the bar, and I noticed immediately, one guy with ever present so-Brand-spanking-crisp-new flubby hat, I could smell the "new-ness" from 15 feet away. I took my seat and ordered my Beer, and IMMEDIATELY
got their attention, wearing my 2000 season SOX jacket.
The guys looked at the jacket, quietly with a kind of curious admiration. This went on for about an hour, when the guy
closest to me asked ..."hey, do you like those guys?" I replied that Ive been a big fan since day 1.

CubFan: you like the whitesox? why dont you like the cubs
man? theyre way better

Hangar: Way better? (my buddy notices where this conversation is going and GROANS to himself) how do you figure? the Cubs havnt had 2 winning seasons since Nixon

CubFan: (seems confused)
Hangar: since 1972 man (laughs)
Cub: oh ........
Hangar: I like the SOX cuz Because I dont Believe all the Hype.
and we've been BETTER for a long time
Cubfan: really?
Hangar: Yeah, since 1990, weve only had something like 2 or 3 losing seasons ..........
(notices other cub fans are listening intently, but not saying anything, as if they were processing this info or something)

CubFan: does anyone go to the games? i heard noone goes
to the games, its always empty bro .......

Hangar: dude, dont believe everything you read. Sox had 28 to 35 thousand for most games

Cubfan: (again, with group, seems a bit confused, but processing info, as if this was the 1st time he's heard this)
but you know were going to the world series man, right?

Hangar: not with Sammy off the steroids, and not with your Saviour, Prior off til May or June!! (gleefully)

2ndCubFan: hes not hurt, all hes got to do is take some time off for 2 weeks to get his heel all good, were gonna be all good
CubFan: yeah, and look at our schedule in April man
2ndCubfan: yeah, we play cincinnati, pittsburgh, milwaukee,
man were gonna beat those teams, watch

CubFan: this might be a good thing man, he'll be rested for a month, and he wont be tired in september and october

Hangar: (looks at his friend dave) maybe we should "rest" Loiaza and Buehrle and Frank til May and June (laughs)
Why are you guys all saying that? thats ridiculous

the guy went on to explain why thats good for the cubs,
and why it will help them in the world series if he starts late....
I laughed at him and bet him WE WILL have a better record,
even if the Cubs have an AllStar team with other teams players in the lineup. For the record, all 4 of these guys, I could tell
were ADMIRING my jacket/sox colors from afar.

Brian26
03-31-2004, 01:47 PM
But how were the wings?

steff
03-31-2004, 01:51 PM
Dave deserves to be inducted into sainthood for accompanying you anywhere in public.. especially to a bar. :D:

Tekijawa
03-31-2004, 01:55 PM
Hangar I'm starting to worry about your bar selections...

I wear my Sox stuff out everywhere and have never had as many conversations like this...

soxnut
03-31-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa

I wear my Sox stuff out everywhere and have never had as many conversations like this...

It's called "the law of attraction", it has to do with your attitude and the way you think. You end up getting drawn into those types of situations.

Tekijawa
03-31-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
It's called "the law of attraction", it has to do with your attitude and the way you think. You end up getting drawn into those types of situations.

I guess I'm generally to busy ordering my next drink to get involved in those types of discussions... Between Jeager bombs, Beer and Vodka I have a lot of things to worry about while I'm at the bar... Oh yeah and making sure I pass out AFTER I get home from the bar..

soxnut
03-31-2004, 02:12 PM
I guess I'm generally to busy ordering my next drink to get involved in those types of discussions... Between Jeager bombs, Beer and Vodka I have a lot of things to worry about while I'm at the bar... Oh yeah and making sure I pass out AFTER I get home from the bar..

Hey ,as long as you're walkin it or cabbin it home, go for it.

Baby Fisk
03-31-2004, 02:22 PM
Hangar's "Random Thoughts" threads are turning into much-anticipated events. There's definitely a Gonzo flair to them. How much of these are hallucinatory?

I'm looking forward to reading about Hangar's confrontations with ignoramus Cubs fans at:

- the Aquarium
- the Museum of Contemporary Art
- the Chicago Ballet
- the dining room of the Ritz-Carlton
- jury duty
- a shuttle launch
- a papal mass
- a funeral home
- a prison riot
etc etc etc...
:D:

Hangar18
03-31-2004, 02:24 PM

Sox vs Cubs is a heavy subject with me. Im the first one to debate the merits of both teams, and never back down from a conversation, so yeah, it seems to "follow" me around. Always has actually, since H.S. I just have a forum now for letting
other Sox Fans know of the utter Foolishness of these fans, since I cant rely on the Chicago Media to tell you guys the Truth.

SoxBoy14
03-31-2004, 02:46 PM
I wear my Sox stuff everywhere, but instead of getting into conversations and arguments with cub fans I get idiots speeding past me shouting "Sox Suck!" or "Cubs rule".

Hokiesox
03-31-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Sox vs Cubs is a heavy subject with me. Im the first one to debate the merits of both teams, and never back down from a conversation, so yeah, it seems to "follow" me around. Always has actually, since H.S. I just have a forum now for letting
other Sox Fans know of the utter Foolishness of these fans, since I cant rely on the Chicago Media to tell you guys the Truth.

Gee, without Hangar in our life, where would we be? :)

Foulke You
03-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
I wear my Sox stuff everywhere, but instead of getting into conversations and arguments with cub fans I get idiots speeding past me shouting "Sox Suck!" or "Cubs rule".

I get that a lot too. Quite annoying. I actually prefer the inane conversations that happen in bars. I enjoy Hangar's random thoughts threads because they sound like dozens of conversations i've had in bars, restaurants and other public places with moron Cubs fans.

One thing my girlfriend and I both notice is that Cubs fans feel the need to say something to you about your Sox jersey or hat. I NEVER initiate the conversations yet Cubs fan always make comments or draw me into conversations. And they say that WE are obsessed with them. Trust me. They think about the Sox just as much as we do about the Cubs.

JohnJeter
03-31-2004, 03:44 PM
The REAL Cub fans think about the Cardinals as much as we do about the Cubs.

Hangar18
03-31-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
The REAL Cub fans think about the Cardinals as much as we do about the Cubs.

real cub fans think about drinking and macking on chicks/guys

JohnBasedowYoda
03-31-2004, 04:32 PM

you meant guys.

Man i can wait to move back home for summer break, i just love getting all those great arguments that your see in "Random Thought"

SoxOnTop
03-31-2004, 04:37 PM

I like drinking and macking on chicks. Does that make me a Cub fan?

34 Inch Stick
03-31-2004, 04:39 PM
This would make a great Hugh Grant movie.

Fast forward the story to this morning. Hangar wakes up sandwiched between CubFan and 2ndCubFan. CubFan is wearing nothing but Hangar's jacket. 2nd CubFan is wearing nothing but Hangar's hat.

They look at each other and with a sheepish grin CubFan says "now I love the Big Hurt!"

Hangar18
03-31-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
I like drinking and macking on chicks. Does that make me a Cub fan?

real cub fans go to Wrigley to mack on Chicks/Guys

Hangar18
03-31-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
This would make a great Hugh Grant movie.

Fast forward the story to this morning. Hangar wakes up sandwiched between CubFan and 2ndCubFan. CubFan is wearing nothing but Hangar's jacket. 2nd CubFan is wearing nothing but Hangar's hat.

They look at each other and with a sheepish grin CubFan says "now I love the Big Hurt!"

Brutal. Id use a body double for that scene

SoxOnTop
03-31-2004, 04:45 PM

Thank goodness!! I was affraid I was falling to the dark side....

npdempse
03-31-2004, 06:24 PM

Don't show up before the 4th inning, leave in the 7th.

TornLabrum
03-31-2004, 08:55 PM
I made a rare sighting last Friday when I was in the hospital lab for a follow-up blood test for cholesterol.

The guy who admitted me noticed my Sox jacket and cracked, "I'll take care of you even though you're a Sox fan." He was smiling and I laughed.

He then asked about our prospects for the year, listened as I gave my opinions, and asked my opinion on the Cubs chances, Prior's Achilles' tendon, and other topics. He offered his opinions, too, and they were reasoned and well though out.

The guy knew baseball, and it wasn't a rudimentary knowledge of the game ("Hits good, walks bad, Sammy great") possessed by the usual yuppie Cubs fans, either. He knew both leagues and talked knowledeably.

We wished each other's teams good luck. Okay, my fingers were crossed behind my back, but you have to respect a guy like that, they're so few and far between.

(BTW, the tests came back normal, but the diet continues. I'm down about 20 lb and I like it.)

34 Inch Stick
04-01-2004, 09:53 AM
I hope Dr. Jellyfingers was gentle with you!

santo=dorf
04-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by npdempse
Don't show up before the 4th inning, leave in the 7th.

I think you're confusing them with Dodger fans. Cub fans have to show up early if they have bleachers seats. How good is your ballpark experience going to be if noone can hear you chant "Right field sucks!"