PDA

View Full Version : WiFi at SBC Park


SaltyPretzel
03-31-2004, 12:41 PM
Great :(:

Link (http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/fun.games/03/31/wifi.baseball.reut/index.html)

gogosoxgogo
03-31-2004, 12:42 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30951

Irishsox1
03-31-2004, 12:48 PM
I'm gonna look so cool, with my head phones on, TV in front of me and typing away on my lap top! And yes, I have kissed a girl.

Jerko
03-31-2004, 12:55 PM
If I can order food and beers on there and have a computer controlled robot pee for me so I never have to leave my seat during the game, then I'll think about it.

ewokpelts
03-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
If I can order food and beers on there and have a computer controlled robot pee for me so I never have to leave my seat during the game, then I'll think about it.

whoa...that's keanu like
Gene

ewokpelts
03-31-2004, 01:00 PM
Hey,
I dont think it's 100% bad. Since the Sox(and other teams) cater to corporate clients, it makes sense to offer wi-fi so they can conduct business while at games. It's not too bad if you're also a fantasy player, you can check up on stats of your other players while at the game. And I'm a little partial to downloading porn for the 7th inning "stretch" :D:
Gene

soxnut
03-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Oh yeah great, nobody wants a mascot, but it's ok to have a computer distraction instead of watching what's going on on the field. Watch what is gong on, on the field, or don't bother going at all. Pathetic.

dllrbll7
03-31-2004, 01:12 PM
I know the sox for the Allstar game had a wireless network set up for all the reporters and tv channels. What will the security check in be like

melissainthecity
03-31-2004, 02:07 PM
Those scanners that they use on the barcodes on tickets (or at least the ones you can print out from your computer) are connected to a wireless network. Also, I know in club level when they come around for food orders (or at least back in the day when I could afford this when it was included in half price Monday)they input them on a wireless device as you order. All of this, I believe, is provided by a company called Symbol. Probably wouldn't take much to roll out this type of connectivity to the rest of the stadium.

sas1974
03-31-2004, 02:38 PM
I think this concept would be very exciting if it was used properly. Of course that doesn't mean I want some jackass sitting in the third row sending email or surfing porn.

If they would use this technology to provide real time stats and player tendencies as they relate to the game it would be fantastic. How cool would it be to have a hand held device or LCD touch screen where you could view things like the following:
[list=1]
Big Frank's BA against the pitcher he's facing in whatever situation he happens to be in (ie.-runners in scoring position w/ 2 outs, bases loaded, bases empty, etc,)
A particular hitter's record against Buehrle
Customized instant replays from various angles.
[/list=1]
The possibilities are endless.

HomeFish
03-31-2004, 02:42 PM
This is only for San Francisco so far, guys.

I doubt they'd do this at the Cell. The White Sox cater to a different class of society.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-31-2004, 04:39 PM
yeah i'd just pay a crap-load for tix and fart away the time at the game by looking up tickets. Or i can talk to people.......

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-31-2004, 04:51 PM
Yeah, SBC Park is worse than Wrigley for cell phone usage. Nearly all of them are on the phone checking for stock updates and such and only pay attention when Bonds comes up to bat. Sounds familiar.

nitetrain8601
04-01-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by melissainthecity
Those scanners that they use on the barcodes on tickets (or at least the ones you can print out from your computer) are connected to a wireless network. Also, I know in club level when they come around for food orders (or at least back in the day when I could afford this when it was included in half price Monday)they input them on a wireless device as you order. All of this, I believe, is provided by a company called Symbol. Probably wouldn't take much to roll out this type of connectivity to the rest of the stadium.

The Palm Pilots are used for this. They are modified to scan the tickets and the ones they use for food aren't modified, they just are connected and have a program in there to add up totals.

NC_sox_fan
04-01-2004, 08:22 PM
TheGiants are behind the minors in their claim to be the first professional park to offer wireless access. Last year, Ernie Shore Field in Winston-Salem offered WiFi to its fans. Our new Warthogs' owner, Flip Filopowski, is a computer guy (not to mention a GREAT owner!) and is doing lots of cool stuff at the field.

Come on down -- WiFi at the Warthogs! :D:

KruseControl04
04-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
And I'm a little partial to downloading porn for the 7th inning "stretch" :D:
Gene
Haha. That would be interesting. Nothing better than between-inning porn breaks.