PDA

View Full Version : Twins new turf?

Irishsox1
03-31-2004, 10:17 AM
Did the Metrodome get new turf installed? That old nasty turf seems to only help the Twins. Last I heard, the company that was going to install the new field turf (Like Tampa Bay & Michigan Football) went bankrupt and wouldn't do the job. As a Sox fan, I want that stadium torn down now, but fixing the turf might cut down some of the crappy Sox play there.

sas1974
03-31-2004, 10:32 AM
It's called Astroplay (http://www.srisports.com/news/general/031017_metro_astroplay.htm) and it has to be better than that old crap.

Irishsox1
03-31-2004, 10:51 AM
SRI went out of business. There number is disconnected.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/min/news/min_news.jsp?ymd=20040218&content_id=638588&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp

Why is it so fricking hard for the stupid Twins to get new turf? I hate the dome, I hate the turf, I hate the team!

sas1974
03-31-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
SRI went out of business. There number is disconnected.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/min/news/min_news.jsp?ymd=20040218&content_id=638588&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp

Why is it so fricking hard for the stupid Twins to get new turf? I hate the dome, I hate the turf, I hate the team!

Nice catch. I didn't even see that. As much as it much suck for them to have to play in that place 81 times a year, it has the be the biggest homefield advantage in baseball.

Irishsox1
03-31-2004, 10:58 AM
I just called the Twins, they greet you on the message saying "You have reached the Minnesota Twins, home of the American League Central Division Champs!" after I puked on my desk, some dude told me that SRI went out of business, but that they got another company to install new turf that is similar to Tampa Bay. So, one little advantage that seems to only help the Twins has been taken away.

sas1974
03-31-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
I just called the Twins, they greet you on the message saying "You have reached the Minnesota Twins, home of the American League Central Division Champs!" after I puked on my desk, some dude told me that SRI went out of business, but that they got another company to install new turf that is similar to Tampa Bay. So, one little advantage that seems to only help the Twins has been taken away.

Now if they can only stop those lights from shining in Carlos Lee's eyes so he can actually catch the ball, we'll be in good shape.

fhqwhgads
03-31-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
Now if they can only stop those lights from shining in Carlos Lee's eyes so he can actually catch the ball, we'll be in good shape.

Yep, the lighting in opposing parks. That's the problem with White Sox defense

Not that I'm defending the Metrodome, believe me.

SEALgep
03-31-2004, 11:16 AM
Now if they can only stop those lights from shining in Carlos Lee's eyes so he can actually catch the ball, we'll be in good shape. Not to mention their air conditioning system, which oddly only is on when opposing batters hit.

sas1974
03-31-2004, 11:18 AM
Actually we'll have to see if the Twins lose their edge with this new turf. I am sure it has to be softer than the old stuff, but that Astroplay can be pretty slick too. That might take some getting used to for visiting teams.

Mickster
03-31-2004, 11:42 AM
Actually we'll have to see if the Twins lose their edge with this new turf. I am sure it has to be softer than the old stuff, but that Astroplay can be pretty slick too. That might take some getting used to for visiting teams.

It will not be an advantage for the twinkies, at least in the beginning. It will take them some time to get used to the new turf as well...

santo=dorf
03-31-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Not to mention their air conditioning system, which oddly only is on when opposing batters hit.

The guy said he turned them on when Kirby Puckett hit that homer in the WS. So it blows in when the opposing team is up, and blows out when the home team is up. They did twice the cheating.

jamteh
03-31-2004, 07:55 PM
I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but let's just say I'm very close to the person who brokered this deal. Although I hate the Twins, I'm glad he's making a nice chunk of change selling them a new turf. However, I'm pretty sure he said it was only the warning track.