PDA

View Full Version : SOX Fans Backlashing: Caller Angered over lack of Sox Coverage

Hangar18
03-31-2004, 09:05 AM
Wow, those were a dangerous few moments. A caller,
whitesox Bob, called Murph and said he was getting tired
of turning on the TV and always Seeing "cub" games.
He made his point by saying he turned on the tv last tuesday...
and saw a cub game, turned tv on thursday, saw a cub game...
turned a tv friday, saw a cub game, turned a tv sat nite, saw a cub game, turned tv yesterday , saw a cub game ....
Meanwhile, while the caller was saying all this, Murph was Mocking the guy saying quietly "im gonna get in the old lazy boy"
"gonna grab an old style" "turn the cubs on", clearly mocking the guy. the guy got mad and said hes tired of the Bombardment of cubcoverage and why arent the SOX on .....
Murph then says BLAME ROB GALLAS, Blame FOX, they keep
putting more cubs on. I agreed, and murph, to his credit,
said SOX fans should protest more and bitch about this to FOX.
Fred, his co-host, said he would take more of an issue with this
since hes a "sox" fan, and it was his job to remind everyone
the SOX arent being covered like the cubs. The caller also said it was BS that WGN was televising 12 cub games and only 3 sox games. AND OF THE 3 SOX GAMES, 2 WERE AGAINST CUBS

point is, Sox Fans are starting to get tired of this. I was tired of this 15 years ago ..............

Hangar18
03-31-2004, 09:07 AM
WORSE part of that, was Murph acknowledged the caller (after mocking him) then CHANGED THE SUBJECT. This couldve been an EXCELLENT TOPIC for them today....but he didnt want to take away from his sweet cubbies. and Fred Played right along...
what a schmuck

1951Campbell
03-31-2004, 09:07 AM
And for one brief shining moment, there was hope...

Hangar18
03-31-2004, 09:23 AM
Sox fans are starting to "wake" up. Kudos to "whitesox bob"
for taking Murph on the score to task, over the lack of sox
coverage this morning. Murph tried to mock the guy and pretend he wasnt listening, but the message got across.

bobj4400
03-31-2004, 09:31 AM
I am surprised Cubbie Murph can even make it in to work with the ever increasing bad news coming out about The Passion everyday...

I dont even listen to that Cubpoganda that is passed off as a radio show anymore...

Hangar18
03-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I am surprised Cubbie Murph can even make it in to work with the ever increasing bad news coming out about The Passion everyday...

I dont even listen to that Cubpoganda that is passed off as a radio show anymore...

it was excellent. That show is merely all Cubtalk, and CUbfluff.
but a caller took him to task saying he was tired of Turning on the TV all last week and gettinga cub game, and a cub game,
and a cub game, and another cub game, and sat nite, seeing a cub game. He wondered aloud WHY arent the SOX ON TV MORE?
MURPH SAID TO COMPLAIN to Rob Gallas and FOX. He said if the SOX were "Smart" they would want to Get their "product"
on the Airwaves as much as possible. Murph angered me
by Mocking the guy while he was talking about all the Sox games
he couldve been watching instead of cub gms last week ......
Murph was saying quietly, while BOB was talking "gonna get in the lazy boy" " aahhhh much better" "get me an oldstyle"

pretty petty, considering this couldve been a HOTTOPIC today,
but he ignored it and Changed the Subject

Dan H
03-31-2004, 09:58 AM
I am tired of Murphy and his Cubs obsession, and I don't appreciate when fans are made fun of when they make a legtimate complaint. However, the Sox partly to blame for this. TV coverage aside, the team does little to get exposure unless it has total control.

Having said this I also don't like the media slant towards the Cubs. This constantly reinforcing the Cubbie myth (and it is largely a myth) is sickening. The Cubs do have a good chance to go to the World Series, but let's not crown them yet. Remember 1969.

Hangar18
03-31-2004, 10:18 AM
A majority of the morning, the Topic was ............
Getting any union bricklayers to discuss how the cubs managed
to move the brick wall ................behind homeplate.
and only reads cub-related emails

Jerko
03-31-2004, 10:32 AM
Well, there's only one good thing left about the Score: 57 of every 60 minutes are commercials, so Murph is only really on the air for about 12 minutes during an average 4 hour stint.

CHISOXFAN13
03-31-2004, 11:15 AM
If the Sox do end up on the Score in the future, Murphy better get his act in gear and start talking more about the Sox or HE GONE!

JohnBasedowYoda
03-31-2004, 11:20 AM
it's like the end of that Matrix trilogy..there's a brief moment when both sides seem to be able to coexist. But will it last? WIll the evil machine empire (Tribune) back off and allow the human refugees (Sox Fandom) exist in the real world(T.V.)?

CLR01
03-31-2004, 11:23 AM
No need to post this twice.

Go Bob!

steff
03-31-2004, 01:16 PM
Henry = Whitesox Bob... :D:

Hangar18
03-31-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by steff
Henry = Whitesox Bob... :D:

Id love to take credit for calling in ....... but our Brother,
"whitesox bob" deserves recognition :smile:

maurice
03-31-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
A majority of the morning, the Topic was ............
Getting any union bricklayers to discuss how the cubs managed
to move the brick wall ................behind homeplate.

I was going to mention this but am not suprised you beat me to it. There was zero Sox content, despite the allegedly "balanced" morning team. Murphy interviewed an expert on the brick manufacturing process to discuss the manner in which the bricks behind home plate may have received their color, how long a brick wall lasts, where bricks are manufactured, etc. The show made North seem on-topic. That's ridiculous enough to make any reasonable person . . .
:chunks
BTW, the only reason I ever turn on this show is that the sound of Murphy's voice is the only thing grating enough to get me out of bed some mornings.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-31-2004, 04:51 PM
:sahaf
"there is no 2nd baseball in chicago. only the cubs, the fans of the south(side) are telling capatilist lies and are spreading dissention to ruin the regime of the cubune"

harwar
03-31-2004, 05:05 PM
I don't know why everyone is so surprised by this.The score is a total joke.
I stopped listening around august of last year.
The only person worth listening to was Julie Swieca and she resigned because she was told it was going to be,"all cubs all the time,"this year.

kittle42
03-31-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by harwar
The only person worth listening to was Julie Swieca and she resigned because she was told it was going to be,"all cubs all the time,"this year.

Seeing as we already have about 6 Prior threads, can we make this into our 70th "Does the Score Suck?" thread?

Brian26
03-31-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by harwar

She was on last Wednesday morning with Moronoti.

Hangar18
03-31-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
:sahaf
"There is no injury to the Great Anointed one, saviour
Prior threw baseballs with great force and velocity today.
He did not Fly to Chicago for medical tests, this was all
propoganda brought on by the Dirty Raider Nation of the
midwest, the white sox fans. Saviour Prior will
bring Victory and Fortune to the smartest fans in
baseball, the little bears. We will defeat the serpent
white sox and their fans"

soxwon
03-31-2004, 05:35 PM
dont worry when we win the division and we will
and the cubs dont make the playoffs, all eyes will be on us.
especially after we SWEEP the cubs 6 straight- i have a strong feeling the cubs are going to be wondering"what the hell happened"
its a great year for us 2004
da reverand has spoken

and i dont wanna see you think "rev your high" rev your nuts"
Because you heard it here right now, we will go farther than the cubs.

Win1ForMe
03-31-2004, 05:35 PM
I almost threw up today after listening to Murph and Fred. Murph thought of another moronic Cub topic: the brick behind home plate at Wrigley (b/c of extra seets being added there). And the best part is, they talked about this for an hour. *** cares about any of that?

ChiSox14305635
03-31-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

That wasn't Swieca. That was Carol Slezak of the Sun-Times.

Soxfest
03-31-2004, 07:23 PM
I heard that crap between murph and g offmans bias against the Sox i do not listen to the snore much anymore

rcescato
03-31-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Well, there's only one good thing left about the Score: 57 of every 60 minutes are commercials, so Murph is only really on the air for about 12 minutes during an average 4 hour stint.

Now thats funny!! Its so true that I can almost make my half hour drive to work in the morning and hear 5 minutes of talk.
Thats why I don't call in anymore. You are guarenteed to wait 45 minutes on hold.
Rich

soxwon
03-31-2004, 07:37 PM
ok help me here! who in radio land likes the sox?
theres got to be someone?

TornLabrum
03-31-2004, 08:43 PM
WORSE part of that, was Murph acknowledged the caller (after mocking him) then CHANGED THE SUBJECT. This couldve been an EXCELLENT TOPIC for them today....but he didnt want to take away from his sweet cubbies. and Fred Played right along...
what a schmuck

This happens to have occurred during one of the two segments of that show I still listen to. It's called What's Your Beef. (You may have noticed the cows mooing in the background and the theme from Rawhide playing.

This is a weekly sponsored segment. He isn't going to keep to one topic, unless he wants to lose the sponsor.

TornLabrum
03-31-2004, 08:45 PM
Id love to take credit for calling in ....... but our Brother,
"whitesox bob" deserves recognition :smile:

His moniker is actually Southside Bob.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-31-2004, 09:16 PM
Disgusting. I just woke up after falling alseep for a few hours and I left on TheCub 670AM. I was greeted to listening to a 10 minute season recap from 2003 with interviews with Dusty and Shamme and then all of the plays. They then played a lame organ song to go into a TALKING CUBS segment. It was such a joke. It was like "COLD BEER" "THE 7TH INNING STRETCH" "THE BOYS IN BLUE" "SLAMMIN' SAMMY" "HOT CHICKS WITH BIG...er" "THE BLEACHERS" and other stupid stuff.

CHISOXFAN13
03-31-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Disgusting. I just woke up after falling alseep for a few hours and I left on TheCub 670AM. I was greeted to listening to a 10 minute season recap from 2003 with interviews with Dusty and Shamme and then all of the plays. They then played a lame organ song to go into a TALKING CUBS segment. It was such a joke. It was like "COLD BEER" "THE 7TH INNING STRETCH" "THE BOYS IN BLUE" "SLAMMIN' SAMMY" "HOT CHICKS WITH BIG...er" "THE BLEACHERS" and other stupid stuff.

I don't mind the bashing of the Score, but I have to comment on this. J. Hood does an equal time segment in which he gives equal time to the Cubs and NL talk and then the Sox and the AL.

You obviously caught the Cubs portion of his segment.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-31-2004, 11:33 PM
That's good to hear. I used to listen to him when he was on until 1 am and I know he used to talk about both teams equally. However, I thought the score managament would've forced him into all cubs talk because they have a raging cubgasm right now.

maurice
04-01-2004, 01:30 PM
The bricks were the topic of yet another segment this morning. I guess it's tough to find cubbie-related content when the biggest cubbie news is very bad.

Piersall likes to talks both Sox and cubs, so they stacked the deck against him this morning. He did, however, get the chance to mention that the cubs are in "big trouble" with Prior's injury. They proceeded to talk cubs for 100% of the first part of his segment, then said the second part would be all Sox and went to commercial. When they came back, they put on a caller who asked a question about Angel Guzman and Murph asked about teams banning fruit from the stadium. They talked Sox for about two minutes and then sent him on his way.

Hangar18
04-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by maurice
The bricks were the topic of yet another segment this morning. I guess it's tough to find cubbie-related content when the biggest cubbie news is very bad.

Piersall likes to talks both Sox and cubs, so they stacked the deck against him this morning. He did, however, get the chance to mention that the cubs are in "big trouble" with Prior's injury. They proceeded to talk cubs for 100% of the first part of his segment, then said the second part would be all Sox and went to commercial. When they came back, they put on a caller who asked a question about Angel Guzman and Murph asked about teams banning fruit from the stadium. They talked Sox for about two minutes and then sent him on his way.

thats the problem, MURPH is the BROADCAST version of Mike Kiley, using the Airwaves/PrintMedia for his own personal use and Furthering the Cub Cause. HOw can one talk about the FREAKING BRICKS for 2 DAYS IN A ROW. I know that TRICK Murph uses, they line up a bunch of callers, and the one that Has a CUB Question, they put him right thru, and MURPH of course Panders to the question. NEXT TIME ONE CALLS THE SCORE AM SHOW, Say you have a CUb related question, make it up, and watch how FAST your on the air. I did this twice and it worked, til they Figured out my PH Number on their Caller ID.

DSpivack
04-01-2004, 06:18 PM
One of my fave Score stories comes from when a good friend of mine called in the day of the NBA Draft [if I remember correctly it was the draft they traded Elton Brand].

After the Bulls made their 2nd Round pick- Dalibor Bagaric- the host on the score [it might've been Tommy Williams, not really sure it was some douche bag] said it might not be a bad pick. So this kid calls in and sarcastically agrees- saying that of course he might not be bad- he averaged something like 6 rebounds per game in the Croatian League. The Douche Host took him seriously, and also praised the trading of one of the best young talents in the NBA.

Corlose 15
04-01-2004, 08:47 PM
You know come to think of I listen to Murph and Fred practically every morning on the way to school and not once have I heard them mention the renovations at the cell. But, what have I been hearing the last couple days,
"now that theres 30 extra seats behind home plate at Wrigley, how many balls a year will be foul this year that would have been caught last year?"

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????? :angry:

niucons
04-01-2004, 08:54 PM
I've been out of town for a while, but from my Score days, the only guy's I remember giving equal time were Bors and Bernsy. Feel free to knock me if I am wrong.

I'd almost rather hear 30 minutes of Cubs and 10 of Sox per hour then the Braves and Georgia Tech crap I occasionally put up with now.

nasox
04-02-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Which proves ESPN Radio is SOOOOOOOO much bettter than the Score. I hate the score, so biased and boring and lame
Score=Blah

Originally posted by soxwon
ok help me here! who in radio land likes the sox?
theres got to be someone?
Dan McNeil

JohnBasedowYoda
04-02-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by nasox
Which proves ESPN Radio is SOOOOOOOO much bettter than the Score. I hate the score, so biased and boring and lame
Score=Blah

Dan McNeil

yeah dan is surrounded by cubs fans (harry and jurk) but the show manages to be rather balanced. besides that it is about the funniest thing ever. anyone ever gone to one of their live broadcasts?

DenJr70
04-02-2004, 10:59 PM
I've been dealing with the Rodney Dangerfield treatment for the 20+ years I've been cheering for the Sox. It's about time we face the fact that the Sox are the LA Clippers of baseball. I've recently moved to Florida, and most people forget that Chicago has an AL baseball team. The only people down here that know about the Sox are those who remember that the Southsiders were almost the St. Pete Sox. I've learned to deal with it. I prefer cheering for the "non-fashionable" team. Plus, we're realistic about our team. When they stink, be admit they stink. When they're mediocre, we accept that. And even when they're good, we cheer with guarded optimism.

A note to all the members of the Cub nation who have already proclaimed that the Cubs are winning it all.........this is something us White Sox fans know, and the members of the Chowder-nation also know...........

If your favorite sports team's last championship photo is in black and white, your team officially sux. Remember Mr Cubbie fan, you haven't won a single game yet.....let alone a title.

Lets have a fung season

Daver
04-02-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by DenJr70
I've been dealing with the Rodney Dangerfield treatment for the 20+ years I've been cheering for the Sox. It's about time we face the fact that the Sox are the LA Clippers of baseball. I've recently moved to Florida, and most people forget that Chicago has an AL baseball team. The only people down here that know about the Sox are those who remember that the Southsiders were almost the St. Pete Sox. I've learned to deal with it. I prefer cheering for the "non-fashionable" team. Plus, we're realistic about our team. When they stink, be admit they stink. When they're mediocre, we accept that. And even when they're good, we cheer with guarded optimism.

A note to all the members of the Cub nation who have already proclaimed that the Cubs are winning it all.........this is something us White Sox fans know, and the members of the Chowder-nation also know...........

If your favorite sports team's last championship photo is in black and white, your team officially sux. Remember Mr Cubbie fan, you haven't won a single game yet.....let alone a title.

Lets have a fung season

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Hangar18
04-03-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by DenJr70

Lets have a fung season

Well Put My Friend! and that was your 1st post. I expect more from you . Much More