PDA

View Full Version : Retired Numbers


Whitesox029
03-30-2004, 11:09 PM
If you could have one Sox player's number retired that hasn't been retired yet, who would it be (Not including active players, since 35 will be retired undoubtedly.... it had better be anyway)? My pick would be Ozzie's 13.

WinningUgly!
03-31-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Whitesox029
If you could have one Sox player's number retired that hasn't been retired yet, who would it be (Not including active players, since 35 will be retired undoubtedly.... it had better be anyway)? My pick would be Ozzie's 13.

#23 Robin Ventura & #29 Jack McDowell

Fisk72
03-31-2004, 09:26 AM
My pick would be good ol' #20, Ron (the officer) Karkovice - World's Sexiest Man

Railsplitter
03-31-2004, 09:39 AM
I don't believe in retiring numbers.

fledgedrallycap
03-31-2004, 10:10 AM
Shoeless Joe. Talk about a controversy that would be....

HomeFish
03-31-2004, 10:21 AM
#46, of course!

DrummerGeorgefan
03-31-2004, 11:29 AM
Come on guys, #18 Darryl Boston

Baby Fisk
03-31-2004, 11:37 AM
#28 Wilbur Wood.

From 1971 to 1974, he won at least 20 games each season.

ewokpelts
03-31-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Whitesox029
If you could have one Sox player's number retired that hasn't been retired yet, who would it be (Not including active players, since 35 will be retired undoubtedly.... it had better be anyway)? My pick would be Ozzie's 13.

I think they'll retire Ozzie's IF he's a successful manager. No sense honoring him if his team's stinking up the joint.
Gene

HITMEN OF 77
03-31-2004, 12:35 PM
Pete Ward, Carlos May, Chet Lemon come to mind.

The Critic
03-31-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
I don't believe in retiring numbers.

Actually, I don't either, but in the spirit of the thread, I'll say #15 for Dick Allen.

wood28
03-31-2004, 12:41 PM
I have to agree with BabyFisk...Give me #28 Wilbur Wood

OneDog
03-31-2004, 02:42 PM
#7 Jerry Manuel

Foulke You
03-31-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Shoeless Joe. Talk about a controversy that would be....

Actually, they can't retire Shoeless Joe's number because players didn't wear numbers back then. However, Black Sox or no Black Sox, he is a part of our team's history and they should have a name plaque up there with the other retired numbers since he probably was the second greatest hitter in franchise history behind Frank Thomas.

doublem23
03-31-2004, 03:49 PM
23, but let's wait until Robin retires.

fledgedrallycap
03-31-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Actually, they can't retire Shoeless Joe's number because players didn't wear numbers back then. However, Black Sox or no Black Sox, he is a part of our team's history and they should have a name plaque up there with the other retired numbers since he probably was the second greatest hitter in franchise history behind Frank Thomas.

When did they begin to put numbers? I know initially it started with thier batting order number and the most obvious example is Babe(3), Gehrig(4); but who and when?

ma_deuce
03-31-2004, 04:20 PM
Barring Frank (and I am not sure that he truly deserves it as of late), I don't think there is anyone in recent history that deserves to have their number retired. As for owners, Jerry should be retired immediately.


Deuce

TornLabrum
03-31-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Shoeless Joe. Talk about a controversy that would be....

Yeah, bigtime...since he didn't have one.

doublem23
03-31-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by ma_deuce
and I am not sure that he truly deserves it as of late


I'm not going get into the Hall of Fame argument (he's a shoe-in in my book, for the record), but how he hasn't cemented to have his number retired by the Sox is mind-boggling.

Railsplitter
03-31-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
When did they begin to put numbers? I know initially it started with thier batting order number and the most obvious example is Babe(3), Gehrig(4); but who and when?

You're on the right track there. The Yankees, and at least one other team started numbers in 1929, and was based on the opening day batting order.

I know the Giants put the names of two pre-numbering legends Pitcher Christy Mattthewson and Manager John McGraw one the outfield fence, and I believe Comerica park has comething similar for Ty Cobb.

BTW if the Sox must have #42 retired, why not do it for Al Lopez?

Kuzman
03-31-2004, 10:22 PM
#48 Todd Ritchie

*cough*

jortafan
03-31-2004, 10:39 PM
If we're going to try to "retire" a "number" for Joe Jackson, we'd better also remember Ray Schalk, Eddie Collins, Ed Walsh, Fielder Jones, and maybe even a few others.

Let's not forget that the golden age for the White Sox came in the pre-Babe Ruth era, which means prior to uniform numbers.

Whitesox029
03-31-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by ma_deuce
Barring Frank (and I am not sure that he truly deserves it as of late), I don't think there is anyone in recent history that deserves to have their number retired. As for owners, Jerry should be retired immediately.


Deuce
The reason I said that was because he has been playing for this team for 15(?) years this September, was once the most feared hitter in all of baseball, and led us to 3 division championships.

I also feel that Robin's number should be retired, as much as I feel Ozzie's should, but I neglected to mention him because he's still active.

For the record if I had thought of this thread one year ago I still would have picked Ozzie...it has nothing to do with the fact he's the manager.

depy48
03-31-2004, 11:42 PM
:hitless

"my number goes without saying"

MarkEdward
04-01-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
If we're going to try to "retire" a "number" for Joe Jackson, we'd better also remember Ray Schalk, Eddie Collins, Ed Walsh, Fielder Jones, and maybe even a few others.

Let's not forget that the golden age for the White Sox came in the pre-Babe Ruth era, which means prior to uniform numbers.

Good thinking. In Comerica Park, they have statues out in center field to represent the Tiger stars who played before numbers. From what I remember, Ty Cobb and Charlie Gehringer are out there with a few others.

Anyway, I think it would be great for the Sox to honor Eddie Collins and Ed Walsh in some way.

fuzzy_patters
04-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Gary Redus! Seriously, the Sox should do something to honor the memory of Ivan Calderon this season. I don't think they should retire his number, but they should do something to honor him.

By the way, a few names that haven't been mentioned are Joe Horlen, Jim Rivera, Bill Melton, Rich Dotson, and Bob Thigpen (for the save record).

MUsoxfan
04-01-2004, 01:48 AM
Speaking of retired numbers....whatever happened to the White Sox display of retired numbers? 2 years ago they had them posted on the base of the Stadium Club and last year they were gone. I'd hate to see them not post them back up