PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know Reed had a torn wrist ligament

SoxxoS
03-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040330&content_id=673917&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp)

Strangely enough, it was Reed who was the least productive during Spring Training, despite being the only one of the three with a non-roster invite. Reed hit .196 in 46 at- bats, with five RBIs and his lone home run during a final appearance Sunday before being reassigned. Talk lingered as to whether a partially-torn ligament in Reed's left wrist , suffered during the offseason, hampered him offensively or if Reed is further off from the Majors than first anticipated.

Doesn't anything EVER go smoothly for the touted talent in the minors? My gosh, this is rediculous.

They need to find out if that needs surgery, b/c "he decided against it" isn't a good enough excuse. Get it out of the way if need be. I thought it was just a strain.

jeremyb1
03-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040330&content_id=673917&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp)

Doesn't anything EVER go smoothly for the touted talent in the minors? My gosh, this is rediculous.

They need to find out if that needs surgery, b/c "he decided against it" isn't a good enough excuse. Get it out of the way if need be. I thought it was just a strain.

My guess is it is still bothering him but it is possible he just got off to a slow start seeing as how it is spring training. I don't think surgery was ever suggested as a possibility by anyone so I don't know that he "decided against it."

SoxxoS
03-30-2004, 10:48 PM
It says he decided against it in the article.

gosox41
03-31-2004, 08:13 AM

Maybe the Sox should be more careful with their prospects. Reed is hurt but continued to play. Why? Why not rest and rehab at the minimum? Borchard gets hurt and has a lingering injury last year and tried to play through it. All it did was hurt his numbersd and confidence. Rauch has a torn labrum. In 2002 they make him the Sox 5th starter after having not pitched i nany minor league action and not having full velocity back yet. Why not let him start off slowly in the minors?

The SOx need to handle players more carefully. Don't let them play winter ball as much, rest them is they are hurting or don't rush them to the major leagues.

I beleie the Sox have mishandled Rauch and Borchard enough and that's why neither one is in the majors yet. IMHO, both should be on this team right now (or at least when Joe gets healthy form his biceps injury) Why do the Sox screw with these guys so much, especially when they're top prospects?

Bob

SoxxoS
03-31-2004, 12:20 PM
Did you guys get the new book by the Sox at amazon.com?

Screwing Up Prospects for Dummies. (s)

Tekijawa
03-31-2004, 12:27 PM

Screwing Up Prospects for Dummies. (s)

I heard Nardi Contrearas wrote most of that, I wonder how much he'll make? Do you think they gave him an up front payment or is Nardi working for a percentage of the sales?

SEALgep
03-31-2004, 12:39 PM

Screwing Up Prospects for Dummies. (s) How is this the Sox fault?

SoxxoS
03-31-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
How is this the Sox fault?

It says in the article that Reed opted against surgery. Don't you think it's in the best interest of the club to let the doctors make that decision.

I don't know exactly what happened, I am just going by the article. But the Sox had 5 months off to get healthy, and the wrist is obviously still bothering him.

SEALgep
03-31-2004, 01:10 PM
It says in the article that Reed opted against surgery. Don't you think it's in the best interest of the club to let the doctors make that decision.

I don't know exactly what happened, I am just going by the article. But the Sox had 5 months off to get healthy, and the wrist is obviously still bothering him. Reed is a person, not a commodity. The fact that he opted against it shows that is was an option and not necessary. Maybe surgery would further set him back, we don't know. It isn't the Sox who had 5 months to get him healthy, it was Reed who had that time. Besides, this happened during the offseason. He says he doesn't feel pain, and he never was kept out of ST due to it, so maybe he just had a rough start. Not that big a deal, unless they are keeping it from us like the Prior situation. That's all speculation though. I don't see how this is the Sox fault, or anyone's fault. It happened, but the Sox can't make someone have surgery. Besides, don't you think he may have been inclined to make a decision based on what the doctors told him.

SoxxoS
03-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Reed is a person, not a commodity. The fact that he opted against it shows that is was an option and not necessary. Maybe surgery would further set him back, we don't know. It isn't the Sox who had 5 months to get him healthy, it was Reed who had that time. Besides, this happened during the offseason. He says he doesn't feel pain, and he never was kept out of ST due to it, so maybe he just had a rough start. Not that big a deal, unless they are keeping it from us like the Prior situation. That's all speculation though. I don't see how this is the Sox fault, or anyone's fault. It happened, but the Sox can't make someone have surgery. Besides, don't you think he may have been inclined to make a decision based on what the doctors told him.

I do. But I'm looking at the track record of the Sox handling prospect, and I don't like what I see. So I am not putting much faith in the Sox at all, they obviously screw some things up.

SEALgep
03-31-2004, 01:19 PM
I do. But I'm looking at the track record of the Sox handling prospect, and I don't like what I see. So I am not putting much faith in the Sox at all, they obviously screw some things up. Granted, but I think a lot of things look better in hindsight. The Sox no doubtedly have messed up from time to time, but all clubs do. I understand the concern, especially since he is supposed to be part of the future 3. I'm not going to worry about it too much until his season gets under way in the minors. KW implied that he would be the next call up if an outfielder was injured, so I don't think he is too banged up. We shall see, but he probably put a lot of pressure on himself in ST in order to impress everyone. He obviously wants to make the team, so I don't necessary attribute his wrist injury to his performance. We'll see soon.

SoxxoS
03-31-2004, 01:21 PM
Agreed.

sas1974
03-31-2004, 01:24 PM
KW implied that he would be the next call up if an outfielder was injured, so I don't think he is too banged up.

Not doubting you here, but when did KW mention this? I don't recall and I would have guess it would still be Borchard that is next in line at this point.

SEALgep
03-31-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Not doubting you here, but when did KW mention this? I don't recall and I would have guess it would still be Borchard that is next in line at this point. Although Borchard still has a lot of upside, he has the quad strain as a set back where he actually missed time for, unlike Reed who hasn't missed time. I don't have an actual quote for you, but I distinctly remember him saying something to the effect that Reed would be called up pending an injury to any of our outfielders. Although, as the minor league season begins, everyone starts fresh and has a chance to be considered.