PDA

View Full Version : Jered Weaver's season so far...

MarkEdward
03-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Weaver is currently pitching for Long Beach State and is Jeff's brother. He'll probably be the first pick in this year's draft. Here's his current line:
8 Games, 8-0, 56.2 IP, .64 ERA, 22 hits, 4 earned runs, 8 walks, 1 home run, 89 strikeouts. 1.3 BB/9 IP, .2 HR/9 IP, 14.1 K/9 IP. Pretty darn amazing. Just last Wednesday, he struck out 16 batters in only 6 innings against seventh-ranked Wichita State.

Just giving WSI an update from the college ranks...

poorme
03-30-2004, 05:16 PM
Let's draft him and not sign him just to show Boras who's boss!

SEALgep
03-30-2004, 11:21 PM
He has been predicted to be taken first overall by the Padres. There are a lot of good players this draft, so I am excited about our extra picks.

The_Floridian
03-30-2004, 11:31 PM
Hey y'all...

Where can I get more information on this year's draft? Anyone got a recommended website?

Word to your molars.

monkeypants
03-30-2004, 11:32 PM
How many extra picks do we get this year?

Rex Hudler
03-30-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by monkeypants
How many extra picks do we get this year?

None high enough to pick him.........

I think he is way overrated.... I mean he has walked 8 guys this year!

Good thing is, I hear he is not an ass like his older brother. :)

SEALgep
03-31-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by monkeypants
How many extra picks do we get this year? At least two for offering arbitration to Colon and Flash. I think one is the 53rd overall. The Sox seem to have been drafting well of late, so it is a good opportunity to take advantage of, probably to improve the system with infield position players, as well as pitching.

jeremyb1
03-31-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
At least two for offering arbitration to Colon and Flash. I think one is the 53rd overall. The Sox seem to have been drafting well of late, so it is a good opportunity to take advantage of, probably to improve the system with infield position players, as well as pitching.

We get two extra picks for Colon and two for Gordon. For each we get a pick in the supplemental round between the first and second rounds. We get screwed out of the Yank's and Angel's first round picks because the Angels finishes in the bottom half of the standings and the Dodgers get the Yanks first rounder for Quantril.

Chisoxfn
03-31-2004, 01:27 AM
I'm gonna watch him pitch Friday @ Cal State Fullerton. I'm hoping my school can beat him and Fullerton has been playing better, but he's putting up Prior-esque numbers in college.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him and its pretty much a lock that the Padres will take him, unless Weaver gets injured.

SEALgep
03-31-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
We get two extra picks for Colon and two for Gordon. For each we get a pick in the supplemental round between the first and second rounds. We get screwed out of the Yank's and Angel's first round picks because the Angels finishes in the bottom half of the standings and the Dodgers get the Yanks first rounder for Quantril. That's right, I was pretty sure we were getting three, but I didn't want to be misleading if I was wrong. Thanks for clearing that up.

Rex Hudler
03-31-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
We get two extra picks for Colon and two for Gordon. For each we get a pick in the supplemental round between the first and second rounds. We get screwed out of the Yank's and Angel's first round picks because the Angels finishes in the bottom half of the standings and the Dodgers get the Yanks first rounder for Quantril.

Jeremy, look at losing the 1st round picks as a blessing in disguise. I think having one 1st round pick, two supplementals and three 2nd round picks will better for the Sox (those include the Sox regular picks as well)....

For pure financial reasons, we will have a better chance of drafting and signing players than if we had the two extra 1st rounders. Good players can be had in the 2nd round (see Reed, Sweeney) and they come cheaper. I just don't see where the Sox would have had the budget to sign everyone if we had gotten those first round picks, without compromising and taking someone that is "signable" rather than a player whose talent merits the selection.