PDA

View Full Version : should the sox be rebuilding this year?

habibharu
03-30-2004, 05:26 PM
i know that most peope wouldnt agree with me, but lookin at our team and thinking about it a lot, i think that we should tank it. if we are not within 5 games in june or july we should trade the following: konerko, koch, schoenweis if possible, mags( :whiner: ), and maybe even hurt( :whiner: :whiner: ) and valentin. i believe we should trade those guys for infield prospects. thoughts?

Rocky Soprano
03-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Jerry is that you?

:threadsucks

SEALgep
03-30-2004, 05:49 PM
You have to be joking. You are aren't you? I always fall for April Fool jokes.

sas1974
03-30-2004, 06:25 PM
I see it didn't take long for the "This Thread Sucks" Guy to come out on this one. If we are out of THIS DIVISION in June we would be in serious trouble. There is no way that is going to happen.

MRKARNO
03-30-2004, 06:36 PM
Hells no. We are going to be above .500 again and despite what all the experts say, we probably have the best shot of anyone at winning the division and we're probably the only AL Central team that could make some noise come october.

HomeFish
03-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Are the Shoe's Foe's an actual organization? Do they go to games and advertise themselves a la Crede's Crew?

If not, could they? I'd totally do that.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-30-2004, 07:00 PM
who is that "this thread sucks" guy anyway. I like Schoe's Foes but i don't think i'd actually go to a game to do that, can't we all just have beers and be brothers?

soxtalker
03-30-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
i know that most peope wouldnt agree with me, but lookin at our team and thinking about it a lot, i think that we should tank it. if we are not within 5 games in june or july we should trade the following: konerko, koch, schoenweis if possible, mags( :whiner: ), and maybe even hurt( :whiner: :whiner: ) and valentin. i believe we should trade those guys for infield prospects. thoughts?

I would probably allow a few more games out (maybe more than 10) and/or a somewhat later cut-off date. I do not expect that to be the situation, but, of course, we've seen such disappointments in the recent past. If we are out of it, we'll probably see KW being willing to make trades like this. I suspect that we would have seen that last year if we hadn't started to win. One major problem with this, of course, is that there haven't been a lot of teams willing to trade good prospects.

jeremyb1
03-30-2004, 07:39 PM

I don't think there's any good reason to rebuild when a team has a shot of making the playoffs and this squad clearly does. I do understand where you're coming from though. Maggs and Loaiza are free agents after this season. Lee is overrated and overpriced and Konerko is at least overpriced. Frank and Valentine are getting up there in age and we have Rauch, Diaz, Cotts, Borchard, and Reed all seemingly capable of contributing some right now. In a stronger division, rebuilding might be the right way to go.

gogosoxgogo
03-30-2004, 07:45 PM
I agree. It's about time we rebuilt since our glorious 1917 championship. I'm sick of sticking with the guys we have. That hasn't worked for us. It's time to start over with a youth movement. Hey, I even have an idea for a slogan: These Kids Can Play!

Regarding Schoe's foe's: Yes, we all hate that he was given the fourth spot after not doing anything to show that he deserves it, but I don't think we need to be forming a group to go to the ballpark just to yell how much he sucks. Schoeneweis himself is not a bad guy. No one is questioning his work ethic, he just doesn't have the talent to be a capable big league starting pitcher. If anything, form an anti-Kenny Williams group for automatically handing Schoeneweis the fourth spot in our diminishing rotation.

davidleeroth
03-30-2004, 07:58 PM
if we're not in this one come july 1st, it's definitely time to tank it. the only guys in my book (of the regulars, not prospects) that are untouchable come that day are buehrle, garland, marte, olivo, and rowand.

fuzzy_patters
03-30-2004, 08:04 PM

Good Idea! Let's give Reinsdorf an excuse to be cheap. Remember when he claimed surveys showed the fans didn't like the team, and he used that as an excuse to not resign Robin? Brilliant!

delben91
03-30-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by davidleeroth
if we're not in this one come july 1st, it's definitely time to tank it. the only guys in my book (of the regulars, not prospects) that are untouchable come that day are buehrle, garland, marte, olivo, and rowand.

I think I'd have Crede in there instead of Rowand. The sox have a ton of outfield prospects in the minors(Reed, Sweeny, Borchard, Anderson), and virtually no one to replace Crede.

The Critic
03-30-2004, 08:32 PM
I think that in a sense the Sox ARE rebuilding, but thankfully the weak AL Central will allow them to compete at the same time.

The following regulars are fairly young:
Crede, Rowand, Olivo, Harris, Lee
The following starting pitchers are fairly young:
Buerhle, Garland, Wright

The Sox have players such as Reed, Sweeney, Borchard ( to some degree anyway ) and pitchers like Cotts, Rauch, Honel, etc. who can be ready in a year or two.
There are problem areas I'd like to see addressed, such as most infield positions, but I think the Sox have a good crop of youngsters who could help soon.

jeremyb1
03-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by The Critic
I think that in a sense the Sox ARE rebuilding, but thankfully the weak AL Central will allow them to compete at the same time.

The following regulars are fairly young:
Crede, Rowand, Olivo, Harris, Lee
The following starting pitchers are fairly young:
Buerhle, Garland, Wright

The Sox have players such as Reed, Sweeney, Borchard ( to some degree anyway ) and pitchers like Cotts, Rauch, Honel, etc. who can be ready in a year or two.
There are problem areas I'd like to see addressed, such as most infield positions, but I think the Sox have a good crop of youngsters who could help soon.

Yeah. You make a pretty good point. All we lose by avoiding an all out rebuilding plan is major league experience for younger players and using more established guys as trade bait. The problem with major league experience is that it counts as service time which will make the younger players unaffordable in the future. The biggest loss is being unable to trade a player like Lee when his value has peaked.

beckett21
03-30-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo

Regarding Schoe's foe's: Yes, we all hate that he was given the fourth spot after not doing anything to show that he deserves it, but I don't think we need to be forming a group to go to the ballpark just to yell how much he sucks. Schoeneweis himself is not a bad guy. No one is questioning his work ethic, he just doesn't have the talent to be a capable big league starting pitcher. If anything, form an anti-Kenny Williams group for automatically handing Schoeneweis the fourth spot in our diminishing rotation.

That's a good point. I have been outspoken against Schoe myself here, but that doesn't mean that I am going to go ridicule the guy. He is still on our side, for better or for worse. What was he supposed to do, decline the job? Of course not. I hold no personal grudge. The unfortunate part is that we hitched our wagon to him without a safety net, and now we are going into a free-fall. We had time to address this, and we did nothing.

Who knows, it's still early, and as of today's date he hasn't cost us a thing. I just can't get visions of Todd *Messiah* Ritchie out of my head. Regardless, the Sox would be better served by positive energy--and I am a glass-half-empty guy saying that.

Kuzman
03-30-2004, 09:47 PM

isnt that what we are doing by not spending any money on anyone this off season?

MRKARNO
03-30-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo

Are the Shoe's Foe's an actual organization? Do they go to games and advertise themselves a la Crede's Crew?

If not, could they? I'd totally do that.

Well I didn't really intend to have it that way. I was just kinda pissed that Schoeneweis was annointed the 4th starter when he shouldn't have been based on ST and past performance. Schoe's Foes is more of a joke than a real organization. There are no meetings for Schoe's Foes or anything like that. There isn't even a list of members. I just made up the Foes of Scott Schoeneweis group as somewhat of a joke and then someone mentioned that Schoe's Foes would sound better. I then added it to my sig and WinningUgly thought it was really funny and he was nice enough to create a logo for me without my asking (that's how good we are here at WSI).

I dont think I would ever make it a fan group because it would be somewhat embarrassing for the organization and I don't really want to do that. Maybe I'll make a bigger deal about it if he carries out his awfulness in the rotation during the year and I have to watch his crappy pitching at the Cell or on TV.

I have nothing against him personally and if somehow he caught sight of this (you never know) I want him to know that. I think he might be somewhat valuable in the bullpen, but not really. I am not against Scott Schoeneweis, but against him as a starting pitcher on this team. There is a difference.