PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Calderon Web Gem

onenine19
03-30-2004, 02:15 PM
I BELIEVE IT WAS AT TIGER STADIUM. CALDERON WAS PLAYING LEFT. THERE WAS A SHOT TO LEFT, CALDERON GOT BACK TO THE WALL QUICKLY SCALED IT, HAD ONE FOOT ON TOP THE WALL WITH THE OTHER DANGLING OFF AND MADE THE CATCH. DOES ANYONE RECALL THIS? LET ME KNOW IF I HAVE IT CORRECT OR IF I AM TOTALLY WRONG. I WAS REMINDED OF THIS GREAT PLAY WHEN I READ THIS LINK.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2004/columns/story?columnist=schwarz_alan&id=1768061

fuzzy_patters
03-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by onenine19
I BELIEVE IT WAS AT TIGER STADIUM. CALDERON WAS PLAYING LEFT. THERE WAS A SHOT TO LEFT, CALDERON GOT BACK TO THE WALL QUICKLY SCALED IT, HAD ONE FOOT ON TOP THE WALL WITH THE OTHER DANGLING OFF AND MADE THE CATCH. DOES ANYONE RECALL THIS? LET ME KNOW IF I HAVE IT CORRECT OR IF I AM TOTALLY WRONG. I WAS REMINDED OF THIS GREAT PLAY WHEN I READ THIS LINK.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2004/columns/story?columnist=schwarz_alan&id=1768061

I think I remember the play you are talking about, but I thought it was Daryl Boston. It could have been Calderon, though. I know it was around 1989-ish. That brings back good memories.

Ivan Calderon, may he rest in peace. :(:

Brian26
03-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
I think I remember the play you are talking about, but I thought it was Daryl Boston. It could have been Calderon, though. I know it was around 1989-ish. That brings back good memories.

Ivan Calderon, may he rest in peace. :(:

Two different plays.

Boston dived head first into the stands down the leftfield line to catch a ball at Old Comiskey. The catch looked brutal and beautiful at the same time.

Calderon scaled the wall in leftfield at Tiger Stadium, actually standing on the ledge of the wall, and totally robbed a home run. Another gorgeous catch.

Jjav829
03-30-2004, 02:29 PM

Please turn your caps lock off.

npdempse
03-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Two different plays.

Boston dived head first into the stands down the leftfield line to catch a ball at Old Comiskey. The catch looked brutal and beautiful at the same time.

Calderon scaled the wall in leftfield at Tiger Stadium, actually standing on the ledge of the wall, and totally robbed a home run. Another gorgeous catch.

What does it say in the rulebook about this? If somebody could climb the wall and hop into the bullpen to catch a ball, would it go down as an out? Do you just have to be touching the wall, or start in fair territory?

Iwritecode
03-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
What does it say in the rulebook about this? If somebody could climb the wall and hop into the bullpen to catch a ball, would it go down as an out? Do you just have to be touching the wall, or start in fair territory?

IIRC, you just have to have some part of your body in fair territory when the catch is made.

onenine19
03-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Sorry, I use CAPS LOCK for work. If you can't read it get some glasses. My post was about a Calderon catch not my CAPS LOCK key. Do you have a reply about the catch?

Brian26
03-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Sorry, I use CAPS LOCK for work. If you can't read it get some glasses. My post was about a Calderon catch not my CAPS LOCK key. Do you have a reply about the catch?

:hawk

"He Gawn!"

:DJ

"Mmm Hmmmpf."

eriqjaffe
03-30-2004, 03:58 PM
I remember that play very vividly, and am constantly surprised that I never, ever see any footage or mention of it.

Does anybody happen to have that on tape? Or as an .AVI file or something?

whitesoxwilkes
03-30-2004, 04:02 PM

OneNine, not a good idea to get snippy with the mods around here.

Hokiesox
03-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Though it does provide some great entertainment for the rest of us.

dougs78
03-30-2004, 08:38 PM

Just out of curiosity, why is it that people can't post on the site with caps lock on?

beckett21
03-30-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
Just out of curiosity, why is it that people can't post on the site with caps lock on?

I don't think it means they CAN'T (see!), it is just annoying as hell and is implied as *yelling* by proper etiquette standards. Personally it bugs the crap out of me too. It wasn't meant to be a personal attack, IMO, just a friendly *suggestion*.

mike squires
03-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
:hawk

"He Gawn!"

:DJ

"Mmm Hmmmpf."

Brian~I've said it before and I'll try not to say it again...we think a lot. when I read his post I thought the same thing and when I saw your name I knew you would mention it. For some reason guys like write posts like that, uhm, don't last long.

Brian26
03-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Brian~I've said it before and I'll try not to say it again...we think a lot. when I read his post I thought the same thing and when I saw your name I knew you would mention it. For some reason guys like write posts like that, uhm, don't last long.

Yeah, we've had similar opinions/ideas in the past. Great minds think alike :D:

sas1974
03-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Who wants to bet that "Worst Play by a Right Fielder" goes to our ol' friend Jose Canseco w/ the HR off of his melon?

Jjav829
03-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by dougs78

Beckett pretty much hit it on the head. It is annoying to many people to read something typed out in all caps. You don't have to post like you are writing a term paper, but by simply turning off the caps lock you make your posts much more pleasant for the rest of us to read. I don't believe it is too hard to press the caps lock key once to turn it off. My post was a nice request to not post in all caps. Evidently that is too much for some...

Daver
03-30-2004, 11:38 PM
My post was a nice request to not post in all caps. Evidently that is0 too much for some...

Jjav was trying to spare him from me telling him exactly where the cap lock key was located on his keyboard.

He was doing him a favor.

:)

dougs78
04-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Beckett pretty much hit it on the head. It is annoying to many people to read something typed out in all caps. You don't have to post like you are writing a term paper, but by simply turning off the caps lock you make your posts much more pleasant for the rest of us to read. I don't believe it is too hard to press the caps lock key once to turn it off. My post was a nice request to not post in all caps. Evidently that is too much for some...

Thats fine. I mean I truly don't care one bit whether someone posts in caps, lower case or in all bold. I was just trying to get at the fact that it is your opinion to prefer it in lower case as opposed to caps.