PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about the trade that wasn't

soxfan26
03-30-2004, 01:08 PM
I was just sifting through some spring stats and saw this little nugget...

Odalis Perez is 1-1 this spring with a 0.90 ERA in 5 appearances.

That's just 2 ERs in 20 IP! He also has 21 Ks opposite of just 2 BBs.

While thinking about this Schoeneweiss debacle I can't help but think about what might have been...

Who needs a Konerko anyway?

Don't bother, I'll say it for you, spring stats don't mean a thing. :cool:

SoxxoS
03-30-2004, 01:12 PM
For some reason, a lot of people forgot about Odalis in 2002, when he was an all star. The guy is a big time talent. He had a down year last year. Trading Konerko for him would be a steal beyond stealing.

I don't think that offer was ever on the table, however.

soxfan26
03-30-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
For some reason, a lot of people forgot about Odalis in 2002, when he was an all star. The guy is a big time talent. He had a down year last year. Trading Konerko for him would be a steal beyond stealing.

If I remember all the rumors correctly. KW wanted G. Mota or pitching prospects like E. Jackson, etc. thrown in the deal.

I was always in favor of Konerko for Perez straight up.

JRIG
03-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26
If I remember all the rumors correctly. KW wanted G. Mota or pitching prospects like E. Jackson, etc. thrown in the deal.

I agree. I think Konerko for Perez could have been done but KW was asking for more. I would have pulled the trigger.

sas1974
03-30-2004, 01:22 PM

And for some reason, people forget Konerko was an All-Star too. He went into an awful tailspin following that damn HR contest, but the fact remains he was probably the best hitter in baseball to that point. I was definitely among the group that didn't want to trade PK for Perez straight up. I guess we'll all have to sit back and see how this one plays out.

JRIG
03-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
And for some reason, people forget Konerko was an All-Star too. He went into an awful tailspin following that damn HR contest, but the fact remains he was probably the best hitter in baseball to that point. I was definitely among the group that didn't want to trade PK for Perez straight up. I guess we'll all have to sit back and see how this one plays out.

I think talent-wise Konerko and Perez are about equal. The difference being it's a lot easier to find somone to play 1B/DH than to find a quality starting pitcher. That's why I would have made the deal. Plus that one half of 2002 is about the only time Konerko's been elite. Before and after he's been completely replaceable.

Veeky
03-30-2004, 01:42 PM

If you're the Dodgers....WHY would you do that deal?

-Paulie makes more then Perez and is signed for 2 years..
-Paulie's rumored hip condition -- with Mo Vaugn, Belle, Griffey, etc things like that are taken more seriously than ever.
-With Brown's departure, Dodgers are effectively placing their future in rookie Jackson's and Lazy Winston's hands. Perez gives them depth if anything else.

Kenny needed to swallow his ego and throw in a prospect and drop the "I am doing you a favor" act during negotiations.

Now Konerko is having an underwhelming spring for the first time in his career. Perez is actually dominating away from Dodger Stadium. It's only spring and yet......

soxfan26
03-30-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Veeky
If you're the Dodgers....WHY would you do that deal?

-Paulie makes more then Perez and is signed for 2 years..
-Paulie's rumored hip condition -- with Mo Vaugn, Belle, Griffey, etc things like that are taken more seriously than ever.
-With Brown's departure, Dodgers are effectively placing their future in rookie Jackson's and Lazy Winston's hands. Perez gives them depth if anything else.

Kenny needed to swallow his ego and throw in a prospect and drop the "I am doing you a favor" act during negotiations.

Now Konerko is having an underwhelming spring for the first time in his career. Perez is actually dominating away from Dodger Stadium. It's only spring and yet......

LA also has a dismal offense. But I wasn't speaking about the trade from LA's perspective. We were talking about KW expecting too much in return, which is basically the same thing you are saying.

I would have preferred the Sox eating some of Konerko's salary as opposed to giving up a prospect though.

:reinsy
"Take on salary? How did that guy get in here?"

beckett21
03-30-2004, 04:56 PM

You could just as easily substitite Konerko for Odalis in the above statement and be correct. I don't necessarily agree with you. As mentioned, PK was an AllStar in 2002, had a down year last year, and now everybody has written him off.

I still am of the belief that LA wanted Thomas. Regardless, we wanted prospects in addition to Odalis *Chavez-Ravine aided* Perez either way. Perez had big time talent--in a big-time pitchers park. Put him in the AL and at the Cell, and you have a recipe for mediocrity. All of a sudden, my guess is that he isn't all that good, and we would all be cursing KW for making the deal.

I agree with sas1974 on this one, sorry. But again, time will tell. As you said, the deal PK for OP straight up was probably never on the table to begin with so it's a moot point. We could use another arm, but I am not disappointed about not getting Odalis Perez.

34 Inch Stick
03-30-2004, 05:00 PM
I would be shocked if the Dodgers are not fishing around for more offense by early May. They cannot sit and watch the same problem occur a second year in a row.

HITMEN OF 77
03-30-2004, 05:10 PM
When Konerko bounces back this year in a big way, everyone will be saying how lucky we are not have traded him away. Of course I'm a Paulie supporter so I'm suppose to say that I think.

beckett21
03-30-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I would be shocked if the Dodgers are not fishing around for more offense by early May. They cannot sit and watch the same problem occur a second year in a row.

Not to mention Danny Evans isn't around anymore to throw Shawn Green under the bus.

Veeky
03-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

Which why a tremendeous April from Paulie is an absulute MUST. Historically, April is his favorite, too.

Dodgers still won't give up Perez the way he is dominating right now, but they might just swallow Paulie's contract if they think he is back to his career levels (815 OPS) and are desperate enough.

Which would be ok for me because the 17 Mill you save on Paulie, can go toward a 2B (Roberts) and a true #1 at the ASB specifically for the playoffs. Then you get a cheap vet like Karros to complement Gload at 1B and that's that.