PDA

View Full Version : Pathetic AL Central

poorme
03-30-2004, 01:03 PM
An interesting article on that topic is found here. (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/10years_alcentral/)

So, the AL Central hasn't had great teams, it hasn't been deep with good teams, it hasn't had any success outside of the division, it hasn't had any success winning individual awards, and it hasn't been very good at leading the league in the individual Triple Crown categories. I'd say that's a clean sweep of crappiness, which, I guess, is one area they can say they've dominated in.

soxfan26
03-30-2004, 01:11 PM
Did you guys catch that? The article says the AL Central DOMINATES!!

Bobby Thigpen
03-30-2004, 01:11 PM
I forgot, the Indians weren't in the AL Central when they went to the World Series.

fuzzy_patters
03-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
I forgot, the Indians weren't in the AL Central when they went to the World Series.

Twice.

Iwritecode
03-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen

That makes one AL central team in the past 8 years. Woo hoo!

Rush20
03-30-2004, 01:23 PM
What's really pathetic is the we should own this division! We're the only major market team in the division and we should be acting that way!

There's no excuse for us to be on par with Minnesota, Kansas City, Cleveland and Detroit in terms of spending to win. JR got his wish when baseball re-aligned. He doesn't have to worry about the Yankees, Red Sox, Seattle or Oakland until the post-season. Come on! Act like a major market franchise!

Oops, sorry, forgot I'm talking about the same town that the Blackhawks and Bears call home!

duke of dorwood
03-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Its weak between other divisions, but the competition in division games is close and difficult. It wont be easy to win it.

fuzzy_patters
03-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
That makes one AL central team in the past 8 years. Woo hoo!

Off the top of my head, I don't believe an NL Central team has made the World Series since they went to 6 divisions. Also, I'm pretty sure the AL West has only had one representative. Meanwhile, the AL Central has had two, with Cleveland losing both times (Atlanta & Florida.)

Iwritecode
03-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Off the top of my head, I don't believe an NL Central team has made the World Series since they went to 6 divisions. Also, I'm pretty sure the AL West has only had one representative. Meanwhile, the AL Central has had two, with Cleveland losing both times (Atlanta & Florida.)

Actually, looking back, you're right. As bad as the ALC has been, the NLC has been worse.

Gee, I wonder why they didn't write about that...

Veeky
03-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Actually I think ALC is weaker than NLC, let alone other divisions. The only reason Minnesota has seemed so formidable in the last 2 years is because Sox totally crapped their pants; it wasn't the case of them being good as much as it was of us being bad. I am not even gonna mention the decimated KC squad.

If people are doubting the "ALC = not good" platitude, go ask Blue Jays, Expos, Dodgers, D-Backs, Phillies, Angels, A's, Mariners, Orioles, Reds and Rockies if they'd like to SWITCH places with us.

:)

Iwritecode
03-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Veeky
Actually I think ALC is weaker than NLC, let alone other divisions.

Maybe looking at this year alone but overall the NLC has been horrible.

The only thing it has over the ALC is the fact that an NLC team has been in the NLCS 5 times compared to the ALC's 4.

To put them in order over the last 8 years as far as WS appearances and championships:

ALE - 6 appearances 4 championships
NLE - 6 appearances 3 championships
NLW - 3 appearances 1 championships
ALW - 1 appearance 1 championship
ALC - 2 appearances 0 championships
NLC - 0 appearances

poorme
03-30-2004, 02:54 PM
I think the point of the article was that if you compare the whole range of criteria , the AL Central sucks.

Iwritecode
03-30-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I think the point of the article was that if you compare the whole range of criteria , the AL Central sucks.

While true, I just wonder why he choose to pick on the ALC. You could pretty much write the same article about NLC...

Maybe he's a Cubs fan?

poorme
03-30-2004, 03:15 PM
He's a Twins fan.

HITMEN OF 77
03-30-2004, 03:51 PM
How can our division be weak when there will be at least 3 teams over .500? I think the NLC and the NLE east are worse divisions than ours.

Foulke You
03-30-2004, 04:04 PM
The NL Central sports the trifecta of guaranteed THREE 100 loss teams in the Pirates, Reds, and Brewers. That is astoundingly bad. The AL Central is probably only going to have one 100 loss team in the Tigers. The Indians are a possibility to lose 100 but they didn't last year, which leads me to believe they will be a little improved this year. The AL Central is bad, but the NL Central is much worse.

poorme
03-30-2004, 04:16 PM
The Cubs or Houston would be projected to walk away with the AL Central.

Veeky
03-30-2004, 04:30 PM
Maybe looking at this year alone but overall the NLC has been horrible.

No, I meant THIS year and LAST year.

Veeky
03-30-2004, 04:45 PM
How can our division be weak when there will be at least 3 teams over .500?

What's this "at least"? Cleveland is GARBAGE - as bad as Reds or Pirates and Tigers will be as bad as Brewers. Furthermote, Cardinals should be better than Royals, Cubs should be better than Twins and Sox have their work cut out for them if they want to come close to the Astros.

I think the NLC and the NLE east are worse divisions than ours.

Wha? NLE was the best division in baseball last year with 3 World Series-caliber teams (Atlanta, Florida and Philadelphia). Then you have the Expos who despite injury to Guerrero, got up as high as 11 games over. They should be worse, but not much worse than the Tribe, our 4th place team. And then you have NY Mets: last year Piazza, Floyd, Vaughn missed a ****loaad of games and Alomar/Burnitz were dumped in June. With that team's vast resources, I wouldn't be suprised if they bounced back -- still won't contend for the divsion, but should be MUCH better than the Tigers and the Expos. Cameron, Matsui, Reyes, Phillips, Floyd, Piazza, Glavine, Lieter, Traschel and a few upcoming additions, they are not that bad of a team when healthy.

chisox06
03-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Rush20
What's really pathetic is the we should own this division! We're the only major market team in the division and we should be acting that way!

There's no excuse for us to be on par with Minnesota, Kansas City, Cleveland and Detroit in terms of spending to win. JR got his wish when baseball re-aligned. He doesn't have to worry about the Yankees, Red Sox, Seattle or Oakland until the post-season. Come on! Act like a major market franchise!

Oops, sorry, forgot I'm talking about the same town that the Blackhawks and Bears call home!

Your absolutely right but theres the problem in itself. AL Central teams have seemed to agree with eachother that they dont have to spend a ton of money because none of the other teams are. It seems like every year the goal of the Sox/Kc/twins is to win the division, which can be done without a surprise by anyone of those teams. It's that reasoning right their that has gotten me so pissed at JR, we should be the powerhouse of that division, instead he spends just enough to keep things interesting. These teams are built just good enough to contend for this pathetic division, when the playoffs roll around, step aside and let the real teams play.

CWSGuy406
03-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Difference between the other divisions and the AL Central - who's the powerhouse? You can make a case for a powerhouse in every other division besides ours....

Frankfan4life
03-30-2004, 06:22 PM
If people are doubting the "ALC = not good" platitude, go ask Blue Jays, Expos, Dodgers, D-Backs, Phillies, Angels, A's, Mariners, Orioles, Reds and Rockies if they'd like to SWITCH places with us.

All the teams you mentioned would also be pretty happy to be in the NLC too.

As for the Reds and Rockies, they would be happy to make it to 500 in whatever division they are in.