PDA

View Full Version : We've Talked about this before .... Ribbie should come back


Hangar18
03-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Ribbie (the fatter pink one) should come back. Hes got a
soft-spot with me ............

Baby Fisk
03-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Seeing Soxxos's new sig logo with the little devils made me wonder about what kind of "character" mascot would be suitable for the Sox. A Devil would be kind of cool, but not for everyone. Without creating a poll, here's some options. Feel free to criticize wildly or offer your own suggestions:

NEW WHITE SOX MASCOT OPTIONS:

-- a devil
-- a gigantic anthropomorphous white sock
-- a fightin' leprechaun
-- dancin' Homer
-- Ozzie
-- others???

fledgedrallycap
03-30-2004, 12:28 PM
I honestly don't vividly remember the artists formerly known as Ribbie and Rubarb, but I think it would be a great touch to see something brought in. The Sox pride themselves and do a pretty damn good job setting a family atmosphere - why not??? If it meant getting rid of the flying pizza race, I dig it.

sas1974
03-30-2004, 12:29 PM
I kind of enjoy the fact that Comiskey is a No Mascot, No Wave Zone.

fledgedrallycap
03-30-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
No Wave Zone.

I agree!

sas1974
03-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I kind of enjoy the fact that Comiskey is a No Mascot, No Wave Zone.

I think the pizza race is cheesy enough. DOH! Did I just type that?

SEALgep
03-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Seeing Soxxos's new sig logo with the little devils made me wonder about what kind of "character" mascot would be suitable for the Sox. A Devil would be kind of cool, but not for everyone. Without creating a poll, here's some options. Feel free to criticize wildly or offer your own suggestions:

NEW WHITE SOX MASCOT OPTIONS:

-- a devil
-- a gigantic anthropomorphous white sock
-- a fightin' leprechaun
-- dancin' Homer
-- Ozzie
-- others??? Dancin Homer, Dancin Homer!

34 Inch Stick
03-30-2004, 12:35 PM
Let's welcome back Joe Stephens!!!!!!

I hated that guy for so many reasons.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-30-2004, 12:37 PM
no mascot, no wave, no bs. ~new slogan? actually i think that there's plenty of bs

:reinsy
"we lay it on thick"

Jerko
03-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Let's not start with this leprechaun crap again. We're not in Dublin. I say Victor E. Banana should be our new mascot, even though I think his birth coincided with a losing streak last year.

Hangar18
03-30-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Let's not start with this leprechaun crap again. We're not in Dublin. I say Victor E. Banana should be our new mascot, even though I think his birth coincided with a losing streak last year.

Victor Edward Banana did coincide with a Losing Streak.
But maybe we can give the Guy One More Shot........

Baby Fisk
03-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Let's not start with this leprechaun crap again. We're not in Dublin. I say Victor E. Banana should be our new mascot, even though I think his birth coincided with a losing streak last year.

I can't believe it! Jerko weighed in without slapping down the ol' THIS THREAD SUCKS tag. :D:

Thanks, I think...

WinningUgly!
03-30-2004, 12:53 PM
According to sources, Kenny Williams has received permission from Jerry Reinsdorf, to work a deal for the Philly Phanatic.

http://www.tradingwebspaces.com/archives/fanatic-thumb.jpg

Names rumored to also be involved in the deal...
Scott Schoeneweis & Paul Konerko.

Jerko
03-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
I can't believe it! Jerko weighed in without slapping down the ol' THIS THREAD SUCKS tag. :D:

Thanks, I think...

It's still early.........


Actually I never used to do that until someone recently dissed one of my threads (not using the "this thread sucks" guy) in quite a "smarmy" manner after starting a thread of his own that had zero responses. I didn't take it personally but I did think it was kinda "wimpy" so I vowed to just hit people with the "this thread sucks" guy instead of being a wise guy about it. I think it's pretty funny actually. Hopefully nobody takes offense when I do that!

sas1974
03-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
According to sources, Kenny Williams has received permission from Jerry Reinsdorf, to work a deal for the Philly Phanatic.

Fifty bucks says they bring him in and then he loses 7mph on his fastball. :D:

fledgedrallycap
03-30-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
It's still early.........


Actually I never used to do that until someone recently dissed one of my threads (not using the "this thread sucks" guy) in quite a "smarmy" manner after starting a thread of his own that had zero responses. I didn't take it personally but I did think it was kinda "wimpy" so I vowed to just hit people with the "this thread sucks" guy instead of being a wise guy about it. I think it's pretty funny actually. Hopefully nobody takes offense when I do that!

I thinks it's hillarious. I have a copy of it here at work, and that's my response to declining meetings that are a waste of time (just showing the guy with his thumb down)

Brian26
03-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Fifty bucks says they bring him in and then he loses 7mph on his fastball. :D:

OR...

Kenny actually aquires the services of the Philly Fanatic, a lesser-talent Double-A mascot in the Phillies organization.

Frater Perdurabo
03-30-2004, 01:04 PM
:bandance:

Now and Forever

Jerko
03-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
OR...

Kenny actually aquires the services of the Philly Fanatic, a lesser-talent Double-A mascot in the Phillies organization.


That's right, KW is not that good with similes when it comes to names.

Fridaythe13thJason
03-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
No Wave Zone.

That would be nice, but certainly isn't true right now.

Eddie Gaedel
03-30-2004, 03:51 PM
i've said it before, and i'll say it again...
http://www.imcmascots.com/espanoles/images/inflat5.jpg

soltrain21
03-30-2004, 03:57 PM
What was that damn coyote's name?

sas1974
03-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
What was that damn coyote's name?

Waldo the Wolf?

mantis1212
03-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
That would be nice, but certainly isn't true right now.

No kidding, I saw the wave at most of the games I went to last year. WHAT"S UP WITH THAT CRAP? The wave is the stupidist most amateur thing I've ever seen, and its embarrassing when people think Sox fans like it- let us all at WSI team up and end it for good!

sas1974
03-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
That would be nice, but certainly isn't true right now.

I abstain from participating.

soltrain21
03-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Waldo the Wolf?


Yep..that was it.


HE WAS A WOLF?!!!!!!??!?!

jabrch
03-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
According to sources, Kenny Williams has received permission from Jerry Reinsdorf, to work a deal for the Philly Phanatic.

http://www.tradingwebspaces.com/archives/fanatic-thumb.jpg

Names rumored to also be involved in the deal...
Scott Schoeneweis & Paul Konerko.


There's no way Philly would do that!

sas1974
03-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
There's no way Philly would do that!

It's his walk year anyway. They might as well get something for him.

I think this thread is WAY OFF anyway. What about Roo-Barb? Where's the love for Roo-Barb?

KingXerxes
03-30-2004, 04:27 PM
A few things I never want to see at a White Sox game again:

1. Stephen
2. Ribbie or Rhoobarb
3. Fans singing to "The Mickey Mouse Club" (my personal worst)

among others.

Yorke97
03-30-2004, 06:17 PM
I think uncle Jerry should sign a huge contract with Arby's renaming the park "Oven Roasting Park" and then the Sox can have the Oven Mitt as our new mascot!

What are you eating today?

ode to veeck
03-30-2004, 06:23 PM
Ribby and Rhubarb are at the top of my list of things I never want to see again. No stupid mascots, no frigging wave, just beer and brats and baseball, and ... well ... ur ...a shower in centerfield and the missing two pinwheels

sas1974
03-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Ribby and Rhubarb are at the top of my list of things I never want to see again. No stupid mascots, no frigging wave, just beer and brats and baseball, and ... well ... ur ...a shower in centerfield and the missing two pinwheels

And let's not forget Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Dogs in the outfield concourse...It wouldn't be a baseball game w/o 'em.

Hangar18
03-30-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
................ just beer and brats and baseball, and ... well ... ur ...a shower in centerfield and the missing two pinwheels

:) I think I know where the 2 are. One is over by
The Urinal, on a roof. That leaves one Unaccounted for

whitesoxwilkes
03-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
:) I think I know where the 2 are. One is over by
The Urinal, on a roof. That leaves one Unaccounted for

It's by the elevator of the Sportmart store on LaSalle.

cubhater
03-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
A few things I never want to see at a White Sox game again:

1. Stephen
2. Ribbie or Rhoobarb
3. Fans singing to "The Mickey Mouse Club" (my personal worst)

among others.

Add that damn Macarena dance to this list!

jortafan
03-30-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Dancin Homer, Dancin Homer!

No man. What's wrong with you?

We want the Capitol City Goofball.

Seriously, the sight of various mascots on the Cellular Field playing field during All-Star Game festivities made me all the more thankful that Ribbie and Roobarb have been retired. Keep them that way.

And you can't have one without the other, although for the life of me I could never keep it straight in my head which was which.

RichFitztightly
03-30-2004, 09:33 PM
Well, I just got back from a training thing at Comiskey Park. I can confirm that there will be a mascot this year. The only info they gave was that he would be green and fuzzy(or soft) and muscular looking. They made it a point that he was going to promote "good fitness" as opposed to the chubby mascots in the past.

soxnut
03-30-2004, 11:06 PM
I think that the Sox should have a mascot. The Sox are trying to provide a family oriented environment. Having a mascot would coincinde with that.

And in case anyone doesn't know, at Citizens Bank Park, they are going to have a "Build-A-Phanatic" store, just like the "Build-A-Bear" stores that are in malls. What another great marketing tool that would be, to have a mascot and a store like that at the ballpark.

ode to veeck
03-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Well, I just got back from a training thing at Comiskey Park. I can confirm that there will be a mascot this year.

Say it ain't so JR!!

Somebody kill this thread before we all puke.

soxnut
03-30-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
Well, I just got back from a training thing at Comiskey Park. I can confirm that there will be a mascot this year. The only info they gave was that he would be green and fuzzy(or soft) and muscular looking. They made it a point that he was going to promote "good fitness" as opposed to the chubby mascots in the past.


EXCELLENT :smile: :D: :cool: :smile:

ivancalderon
03-31-2004, 12:51 AM
The idea of mascots at Comiskey should have been buried with Andy the Clown 10 years ago. That said, if we could bring the Capital City Goofball in, I'm all for it.

Dan H
03-31-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Ribby and Rhubarb are at the top of my list of things I never want to see again. No stupid mascots, no frigging wave, just beer and brats and baseball, and ... well ... ur ...a shower in centerfield and the missing two pinwheels


This says all. I know when Reinsdorf's and Einhorns's group bought the Sox in 1981 the first thing I wanted to see was impact players turning the team around. Many fans didn't want a mascot, and they still don't. And I have already told my eight year old daughter that Sox fans don't do the wave.

Baby Fisk
03-31-2004, 09:13 AM
UGH!

I have a cable sports package for my TV that gives me out-of-market hockey, football and baseball. Last night I was flipping channels and caught a Sox commercial that was broadcast during the Black Hawks game. It's a bunch of images of young Ozzie romping around as a Sox player, then announces he's back to manage the team to an ALC championship. Ozzie! Ozzie! Ozzie! This whole freakin season is about Ozzie.

We already have our mascot.

sas1974
03-31-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
UGH!

I have a cable sports package for my TV that gives me out-of-market hockey, football and baseball. Last night I was flipping channels and caught a Sox commercial that was broadcast during the Black Hawks game. It's a bunch of images of young Ozzie romping around as a Sox player, then announces he's back to manage the team to an ALC championship. Ozzie! Ozzie! Ozzie! This whole freakin season is about Ozzie.

We already have our mascot.

I know that's how it seems now, but that's just because they didn't do anything else worthy of marketing this off season. Once the games start, let's hope that we have more to talk about than the manager. And IIRC, there were many folks on this board that believed that hiring Ozzie would be a great PR move. I think that's what we're seeing now.

PS - NO MASCOTS!! It's a baseball game, not Disney World.

soxnut
03-31-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
This says all. I know when Reinsdorf's and Einhorns's group bought the Sox in 1981 the first thing I wanted to see was impact players turning the team around. Many fans didn't want a mascot, and they still don't. And I have already told my eight year old daughter that Sox fans don't do the wave.

Ya know, I don't agree with doing the wave, and I don't participate when it happens. Unfortunately, if you haven't been to a game over the last few years when there is a big crowd----guess what happens?????? :(:


But, like I've stated in an earlier post the Phillies are doing a "Build-A-Phanatic" store at their ballpark, and that is a great idea. I don't see anything wrong with having a mascot. And if people are saying, "oh, we don't need that", well, then, we don't need 90% of the things that we have at a ballgame, besides the game, a winning team, and a pot to pee in........

OEO Magglio
03-31-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Ya know, I don't agree with doing the wave, and I don't participate when it happens. Unfortunately, if you haven't been to a game over the last few years when there is a big crowd----guess what happens?????? :(:


But, like I've stated in an earlier post the Phillies are doing a "Build-A-Phanatic" store at their ballpark, and that is a great idea. I don't see anything wrong with having a mascot. And if people are saying, "oh, we don't need that", well, then, we don't need 90% of the things that we have at a ballgame, besides the game, a winning team, and a pot to pee in........
Yeah unfortunately it goes on alot, and I can't stand the stupid thing, watch baseball, don't do the wave. :angry:

WinningUgly!
03-31-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
:bandance:

Now and Forever

Isn't Jerry Manuel still on the payroll?
Might as well put him in the banana suit...

RhubarbStew
03-31-2004, 06:29 PM
I was once in the security office as a youth at old Comiskey and witnessed a headless Roobarb having a smoke.

MY FIRST POST!

Daver
03-31-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by RhubarbStew
I was once in the security office as a youth at old Comiskey and witnessed a headless Roobarb having a smoke.

MY FIRST POST!

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

doublem23
04-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by cubhater
Add that damn Macarena dance to this list!

and the YMCA.