PDA

View Full Version : Next Rehab Job at UsCell pt2: Bulldoze entire outfield concourse

Hangar18
03-30-2004, 09:04 AM
In an effort to Rid ourselves of the Characterless, Sterile, and
Completely Out of Scale Billboards, the SOX can build 1-2 story
"buildings" out there, that would take advantage of the spaciousness of our concourse, renting these out to bars and restaurants (hear that jerry? cha-ching) Make these open year-round, have some roofdecks on them, and make them resemble something out of Chicagos Past .........then put your billboards
on top of them ..............With all the new Townhomes being built soon across the Ryan, people will see a part of Chicago they didnt know existed

Brian26
03-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Love the new signature photo, Hangar.

Frater Perdurabo
03-30-2004, 09:12 AM
This is a pretty good idea. Isn't it true that parts of Soldier Field are open year-round (other than on event and game days) for people to freely access? True, the Cell may not have an equivalent of the historic collonades of the Star Ship Soldier Field. However, restaurants, bars and even a baseball museum and souvenir shop that are open year-round would definitely go a long way toward obliterating the stereotypes about the neighborhood around the Cell.

It would be good if the Sox also put brick, glass and wrought-iron facades on the exterior ramps, especially those across 35th Street and those immediately west of the stadium, to make them look like real buildings. Then, build additional buildings adjacent to the ramps to give the area a more-fan friendly feel.

Hangar18
03-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
This is a pretty good idea. True, the Cell may not have an equivalent of the historic collonades of the Star Ship Soldier Field.

However, restaurants, bars and even a baseball museum and souvenir shop that are open year-round would definitely go a long way toward obliterating the stereotypes about the neighborhood around the Cell.

It would be good if the Sox also put brick, glass and wrought-iron facades on the exterior ramps, especially those across 35th Street and those immediately west of the stadium, to make them look like real buildings. Then, build additional buildings adjacent to the ramps to give the area a more-fan friendly feel.

Thats a very good idea yourself Frater. And thanks for the compliment Brian26, Im doing all I can to make My Signature Cooler than yours Heh Heh :smile: I think Comiskeys Old HomePlate would qualify as "Historic". Starship Field has NO RIGHT to call those Collonades "Historic". The Parthenon Collonades in Greece.......THOSE ARE HISTORIC. But I was on a cubboard and all of their fans continue to think of Comiskey and Bridgeport as "Bad", and full of "bad People" and there being all kinds of "housing projects" nearby and no bars and restaurants.
They have most of that true, but WE NEED SOMETHING across the street. Screw Jerry. Put something over there for the fans year-round. Brick and Wrought-Iron would Look EXCELLENT.
Hell, heres an idea. PUT A BRICK exterior on HALF the outside
PreFab Concrete, similar to what they did inside. It is much WARMER and not so Parking-Lot Sterile.

Rush20
03-30-2004, 09:58 AM
Both of those are great ideas. Any 'rooftop' scenerio, and you know we'll hear about it from you know who....

I like the idea of moving the SOX offices to an adjacent building so why not incorporate the building into the design in the outfield? This makes perfect sense.

I read another post where they claim if indeed the SOX do move their business offices "off-site", they empty space can then be used for internal fan ramps vs. the horrible outside ramps that prevent you from actually seeing the ballpark.

The good news is that the Cell has the basic core infrastructure to be a great ballpark. Who knows, maybe they can turn this project into a new TV reality show..."Queer Eye for the Ballpark Guy" :D:

Irishsox1
03-30-2004, 10:01 AM
The "fake" look of a city in the outfield with rooftops and advertising on top is way too Wrigley Field for me. The Sox would look really pathetic and take a beating in the press for making a Disney-like attempt to change the park. I am infavor of getting rid of the massive advertising in background for some unique looking advertising with different sized ads. Something that has a feel of a old stadium, but not Wrigley.

Rocky Soprano
03-30-2004, 10:02 AM
Wow these are some great ideas. What can we do to be heard? These would bring in a ton of revenue. And maybe just maybe it would be enough to keep our best players, instead of watching them leave.

sas1974
03-30-2004, 10:04 AM
I think that sounds like a great idea, but I am not sure the 'hood is quite there yet.

I know it has to start somewhere though, and there is no reason that it shouldn't be at Comiskey. I sincerely think that the area around the park can and will have the same neighborhood feel that lakeview possesses. It would be nice if the city injected some more money into the area to encourage more restaurants/bars to open in the area. I think it would be great to have a big sports bar/restaurant adjacent to the park similar to the one down in St. Pete, for those of you that have had the pleasure of attending a game at The Trop.

Veeky
03-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
The "fake" look of a city in the outfield with rooftops and advertising on top is way too Wrigley Field for me. The Sox would look really pathetic and take a beating in the press for making a Disney-like attempt to change the park. I am infavor of getting rid of the massive advertising in background for some unique looking advertising with different sized ads. Something that has a feel of a old stadium, but not Wrigley.

Or, it could end up looking half-way like Campen Lite and, um, something unique.

Bilboards are by FAR the ugliest aspect of the ballpark. What were they thinking!

Hangar18
03-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Rush20
Both of those are great ideas. Any 'rooftop' scenerio, and you know we'll hear about it from you know who....

The good news is that the Cell has the basic core infrastructure to be a great ballpark. Who knows, maybe they can turn this project into a new TV reality show..."Queer Eye for the Ballpark Guy" :D:

F*** cub fans. Lets see what they've "Borrowed" from the
SOX. Hmmmm, Harry Caray, Take Me Out To the Ballgame,
Rivalry with the Milwaukee Brewers. These arent Apartment Buildings-turned-corporate-cash-machines, these would be Real, Usable, and Year-Round facilities to accomodate Fans
to our Great Ballpark. The sox used to be about being PIONEERS when it comes to baseball related subjects, and we still are in a way (dark alternate jerseys, take me out to the ballgame, dog days, sleepovers, 70's nites, RatPack nites, Fireworks after Home Runs, to name a few) Lets Do Something Radical with our Park for a change ..........
ON a sidenote, note how many of the previous things Ive named have been used by that other team 8miles north.

Frater Perdurabo
03-30-2004, 10:26 AM
I read somewhere that the "Jack Daniels" name would grace the eventual "home run porch" to be built in RF. I have no problem selling naming rights to every new thing that they add. But, if they made changes around the stadium, like facades on the ramps, new buildings with restaurants, clubs, bars, etc. next to the ramps and beyond the outfield concourse, a little league field where the original park stood, and other things, they ought to call the whole complex "Comiskey Park" as a nod to the past.

fledgedrallycap
03-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I read somewhere that the "Jack Daniels" name would grace the eventual "home run porch" to be built in RF. I have no problem selling naming rights to every new thing that they add. But, if they made changes around the stadium, like facades on the ramps, new buildings with restaurants, clubs, bars, etc. next to the ramps and beyond the outfield concourse, a little league field where the original park stood, and other things, they ought to call the whole complex "Comiskey Park" as a nod to the past.

That would be classy. So basically, no chance in hell :D:

SSN721
03-30-2004, 10:40 AM
I like all these ideas, especially about the false facade for the ramps, if they don't move them inside that is. I think the buildings in the outfield is a great plan, but I think if you do that you definitely have to modify the appearance of the rest of the park to match the buildings, otherwise I think it would look rather tacky.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-30-2004, 12:27 PM
i wonder if the sox-powers that be read any of this for ideas

sas1974
03-30-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda

If they do, it would appear that they read them and then DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE....at least judging by all of the complaining that goes on around here.

Hangar18
03-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda

Sox Upper Management, Jerry Reinsdorf notably, Thinks SOX FANS are a bunch of local yokels, so they see these IDEAS,
then do the EXACT OPPOSITE.
1. We say sign key players. They Ignore key players
2. We say Keep Key Players. They let key players go
3. HOK says build retro stadium. They say build bland Futurepk.

Hangar18
03-30-2004, 04:07 PM
I know a lot of flubby lurkers read these boards ...........
been told

skobabe8
03-30-2004, 06:55 PM
IMHO, the new building in LF would look great if it was extended more towards the scoreboard and didn't stop where it does in the artists rendering. I think someone may have mentioned this before, but it wouldn't look cheesy if it was the same charcoal color of the rest of stadium like in the picture, except make it a rough brick-work (like behind homeplate at PNC) instead of smooth concrete slab. Expose some wrought iron, put some classy looking billboards on the facade, and bingo.

MY FIRST POST!!

Daver
03-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by skobabe8
IMHO, the new building in LF would look great if it was extended more towards the scoreboard and didn't stop where it does in the artists rendering. I think someone may have mentioned this before, but it wouldn't look cheesy if it was the same charcoal color of the rest of stadium like in the picture, except make it a rough brick-work (like behind homeplate at PNC) instead of smooth concrete slab. Expose some wrought iron, put some classy looking billboards on the facade, and bingo.

MY FIRST POST!!

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

JohnBasedowYoda
03-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I know a lot of flubby lurkers read these boards ...........
been told

Hangar i'm guessing flubies come here to get ideas for good baseball discussion and run to starbucks-whatever and try and sound knowledgable about the game.

skobabe8
03-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Thanks Daver! I can't pull myself away from this website! :)

doublem23
03-30-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm still waiting for that god damn Ferris Wheel to be built in left field. Now that would be sweet.

Blueprint1
03-30-2004, 09:52 PM
I hate the ferris Wheel Idea. Thats the last thing we need at a baseball stadium. Now it would be cool if they built some bars accross the street maybe even some places to eat.

Brian26
03-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Now it would be cool if they built some bars accross the street maybe even some places to eat.

It's called the hotdog and brat stand on the thirdbase side. If you're feeling lucky, go get a churro. Quit complaining.

Blueprint1
03-30-2004, 10:43 PM
i'm not Brian26 I just said it would be a good idea. You see the other posts were written by other members. You can see who wrote the post by looking at the left of your screen.