PDA

View Full Version : Mlb.tv

Kittle
03-30-2004, 09:58 AM
I was wondering if anybody subscribed to this last year and what they thought of it. I'm in the Indy area (don't get FSN Chicago down here) and am thinking of forking down the cash. I have a cable connection at home and a T1 at work, so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem.

sas1974
03-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Kittle
I was wondering if anybody subscribed to this last year and what they thought of it. I'm in the Indy area (don't get FSN Chicago down here) and am thinking of forking down the cash. I have a cable connection at home and a T1 at work, so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem.

I tried it last year when they offered it w/ the 8 issues of S.I. I was less than impressed. I have a pretty quick DSL line and it was awful. I ended up going back to the audio feeds bc it was so aggravating. It is supposed to be improved this year though.

ewokpelts
03-30-2004, 10:31 AM

I think you'll enjoy the extra innings package better. And you get a free dvd(100 years of the ws)
Gene

Bruck35
03-30-2004, 10:37 AM

I used it last year in Madison, WI through my DSL connection. It was choppy at times, mostly during prime time evening hours, like from about 7-9. But after that, it was relatively smooth, with a relatively big picture. I used the free offer + 8 issues of SI as well, so I have no major complaints.

I would imagine a T1 connection would allow you plenty of bandwidth size, but I'd be concerned about the cable connection during primetime hours when lots of folks may be using it. Obviously, it's great for west coast games :cool:

Kittle
03-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
I think you'll enjoy the extra innings package better. And you get a free dvd(100 years of the ws)
Gene

Do you know if Extra Innings is available from all digital cable providers or only specific ones?

Thanks...

kempsted
04-01-2004, 12:09 AM
I subscribed to Total Ticket the last two years and thought it was outstanding. Of course I have cable modem rather than DSL so I may have had a better experience than those with DSL. However if you are going to get it get the All Access - the condensed games are the best thing they have and Baseball's Best is a lot of fun as well.

SoxxoS
04-01-2004, 12:29 AM
Is MLBTV supposed to be improved this year?

I wish Direct TV offered a Extra Innings package for only a month, b/c I will be back in Chicago in 40 days after the season. I have MLBTV but it's nothing like TV.

At least I will get about 8 WGN games.

owensmouth
04-01-2004, 12:47 AM
Since I live in Los Angeles, the only way I can see many White Sox games is over the internet. Last year I watched som of them on MLB.com. There were times that the broadcast was so poor that I gave up and went back to the radio broadcast (also on MLB.com. Last year Real.com was involved.

This year MSM.com is involved. According to MSM, if you already have a broadband connection and sign up for their "MSM Premium" package, you will receive the MLB.TV included in the package. Three months free and then $9.95 per month until you terminate it. That's a lot cheaper than MLB.com.

joeynach
04-01-2004, 01:43 AM

Dont even bother if you live in indiana, illinois, or iowa all chicago basbeall teams are blackedout on mlb.tv. I have tried im in west lafayette. They can see what region you are in based on what ip you are using to connet and then blackout what they call local teams, even though you are 400 miles away.

The only way to get around requires you be extrmemely tech savvy. You need to be behind a proxy as well as use an HTTP IP masking program, its complicated and plus there is still no gurantees. I dont even bother anymore, just get the audio. Sorry man.

scottyl
04-01-2004, 06:12 PM
I used it on my laptop in Wisconsin last year. I was accessing it through a wireless connection, so I was never sure if choppiness / lags were a result of the connection, or the service.

I was outside of the blackout area, so that wasn't a factor for me to consider.

I noticed that toward the end of last year, they started offering single games for $3-4. Haven't read if they are doing that again.

The radio package ($15 for the year) is good. Even works fairly well on a dial-up connection. It is nice that you can choose what team's broadcasters you want.

rmusacch
04-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Gene

Are you serious? I have not received mine yet. This will be my fourth season of having the Extra Innings package.

pudge
04-01-2004, 06:49 PM
Do you know if Extra Innings is available from all digital cable providers or only specific ones?

Thanks...

Most digital cable should have this by now, but you'll have to ask your provider. It's definitely worth the money.

pudge
04-01-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Are you serious? I have not received mine yet. This will be my fourth season of having the Extra Innings package.

I bet it's only for new subscribers, that's typically how those promotions work... they already have you sucked in, why do they need to give you a free video?

chisox06
04-01-2004, 07:07 PM
I had MLBTV all of last year, and considering it was the only outlet for me to watch sox games other than WGN and other national feeds it really came in handy. Few things, There seemed to be a lot of blackouts when you couldn't get games, Im not sure if different rules apply to the extra innings package, I would say about on average about 2 games a week were not available, so of course I had to buy MLBAudio as well so I could listen the games when I couldn't watch them (only 15 bucks for Sox only broadcasts).

It was choppy at times (I have a cable connection) some nights I had to constantly reload the player, and although you could get the entire computer screen to view the picture, the full picture was pretty hazy and fuzzy, baseball would be the only sport I can see that this would still work.

I'm going with Extra Innings this year, since Comcast here offers it. Extra Innings runs about 150 bucks if I remember correctly, while MLBTV is about 75, so you can take the price into consideration as well. If you go with MLBTV I dont think you will be disappointed but it looks like Extra Innings will be much more convenient.

LASOXFAN
04-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Since I live in Los Angeles, the only way I can see many White Sox games is over the internet. Last year I watched som of them on MLB.com. There were times that the broadcast was so poor that I gave up and went back to the radio broadcast (also on MLB.com. Last year Real.com was involved.

This year MSM.com is involved. According to MSM, if you already have a broadband connection and sign up for their "MSM Premium" package, you will receive the MLB.TV included in the package. Three months free and then $9.95 per month until you terminate it. That's a lot cheaper than MLB.com.

Too bad I didn't know this before I signed up for MLB.tv again this year. I had it last year and really enjoyed it and I'm gladly signed up again this year. I have a cable modem at home and a T1 at work and have no problems with watching the game, choppiness, or anything else. Aside from the occasional internet hiccup, it's worth it...especially to have at work. Sox games come on at 5pm out here, 4pm when they're playing back east. I'm at work until 7pm so it's nice to have the game on.