PDA

View Full Version : Ads on uniforms...

Kilroy
03-30-2004, 07:50 AM
Did I miss something that was announced a while back or did they just sneak those RICOH patches and graphics on to the Yanks and DRays uniforms without a word? Seems like no one is really talking about it, so people either don't mind, or didn't notice. I think it's hard to miss the RICOH painted on the plate side of all batter's helmets, and the patch on sleeve, but you never know.

Maybe its only for the Japan thing?

I don't think I like it. Isn't there already enuf shameless plugging of crap we don't want? The Miller Lite halftime show or scoreboard (OK, we want Miller Lite...), the AT and T Long distance drive of the game, so-and-so's hardworking player of the game, somebody's home run replay, somebody else's postgame show.

Now, I'm going to have to look at the name of something physically on the player while I'm trying to watch the game? **** that.

hsnterprize
03-30-2004, 07:55 AM
It's a Japan thing. Don't worry...you won't see RICOH ads on batting helmets or ad patches on the uniforms here in the states.

Kilroy
03-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
It's a Japan thing. Don't worry...you won't see RICOH ads on batting helmets or ad patches on the uniforms here in the states.

I saw the Japan games the first time they went, but I havent seen them since that first time. They didn't do it the first time, have they done it in any of the times since?

Hangar18
03-30-2004, 08:36 AM
I can already see the cub uniforms now...........they'll look like
Race Car Drivers with logos allover the jersey. Then Mike Kiley
will credit those companies for helping get the cubs to the "world series"

Dadawg_77
03-30-2004, 08:51 AM
I would favor this idea if the Sox can boost revenue enough to get a major league second baseman.

sas1974
03-30-2004, 08:51 AM
I hate to say it, but if this type of advertising was allowed by MLB, guess who would be the first owner in line w/ his sewing needle, patches and a big ball of thread?

:reinsy
"Who me?"

Railsplitter
03-30-2004, 08:57 AM
I once saw a clip of a rugby match where the McDonal's logo was printed on the ball!

The International Olympic Commitee, MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA usually stick to this principle: the only corporate logo that appears on any garment equipment is the one who made it.

sas1974
03-30-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
I once saw a clip of a rugby match where the McDonal's logo was printed on the ball!

The International Olympic Commitee, MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA usually stick to this principle: the only corporate logo that appears on any garment equipment is the one who made it.

Maybe Ricoh makes batting helmets and jerseys now?

Brian26
03-30-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter

Interesting. Which explains why Russell, Rawlings, and Majestic have been allowed to have their logos on the sleeves on uniforms since the 80's.

SSN721
03-30-2004, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't worry about anything happening this year, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this will be happening in the year future. It would not surprise me in 10 years if corporate patches start popping up on regular unis for MLB, NHL(if they are still around), NFL, and NBA. We are the only country in the world that seems to be holding out on not selling space on unis for ads. As much as I like it I have a feeling owners and players will give in to money. Look at Bobby Knight putting those ads on his Texas Tech sweater. I think if the players get a cut of the ad money the union would definitely push it through and the Commissioners office will be as powerless as usual to stop it.

minastirith67
03-30-2004, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with advertisements on uniforms. I mean they do it tastefully in real football, so I have no doubt it could be used appropriately in baseball. Capitalism strikes again!

sas1974
03-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by minastirith67
I wouldn't have a problem with advertisements on uniforms. I mean they do it tastefully in real football, so I have no doubt it could be used appropriately in baseball. Capitalism strikes again!

In "real football?" Are you referring to soccer?

Mickster
03-30-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
In "real football?" Are you referring to soccer?

The one and only... :D:

SpringfldFan
03-30-2004, 12:28 PM
I hate to have to ask this but do you think we will get to the point where the teams themselves are named after companies similar to the way the European basketball teams do it?

steff
03-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I can already see the cub uniforms now...........they'll look like
Race Car Drivers with logos allover the jersey. Then Mike Kiley
will credit those companies for helping get the cubs to the "world series"

And you'll complain that the Sox marketing department sucks for not thinking of it first.. same old, same old.. :D: