PDA

View Full Version : KW taking his shots, again


fledgedrallycap
03-30-2004, 07:46 AM
I would prefer Kenny to just identify the dud or quit these charades. I wonder if he is targeting a pretty big name guy, like a Maggs, C-Lee, Buerle, E-Lo, etc.; otherwise wouldn't you think he would just come out and take a Willie Harris or Schoenwies to task.

From Mike Downey's article:

A couple of Sox players—he identifies them by name, off the record—have been "whiny" and getting on the GM's nerves, while others have impressed him this spring with their hard work and willingness to improve this team's general morale.

"Character guys," Williams calls them. "I want guys who want to play, not just guys who know how to play."


http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040329downey,1,2203182.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

duke of dorwood
03-30-2004, 08:09 AM
can we put the same type of intrigue on the job HE did this off season?

soxfan26
03-30-2004, 08:27 AM
At least Harris hits left-handed. Most of the club's good swingers from that side are Guillen, Baines, Joey Cora and Greg Walker, the manager and coaches.

What about TiMo?

sas1974
03-30-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
From Mike Downey's article:

A couple of Sox players—he identifies them by name, off the record—have been "whiny" and getting on the GM's nerves, while others have impressed him this spring with their hard work and willingness to improve this team's general morale.

"Character guys," Williams calls them. "I want guys who want to play, not just guys who know how to play."


And let's not forget this line:

"Ozzie and I are on the same page. We have guys here who know how to play this game the right way. But if some of them can't, I want every one of them to know this right now, I'm not afraid to go out and find ones who will."

I am glad to see K-Dub take this approach to this team. I don't think it would be hard to argue the fact that attitude was the one thing that has killed us over the last few seasons. Even the Twins knew we had a better team than them on paper. I agree that if there are a few bad apples on this team, they need to be shown the door.

santo=dorf
03-30-2004, 09:30 AM
How come we have tags for "Fire Ozzie," but none for "Fire KW?" I'm shocked one has not been made since the Ritchie trade.

KingXerxes
03-30-2004, 09:54 AM
I for one don't believe there is a "mystery player" who has raised the ire of Kenny Williams - I just think it's some kind of oddball motivational factor that he's trotted out.

If there is, in fact, a player (or players) who are causing trouble then Williams has just shot himself in the foot by announcing it in the media. If he's looking to move anybody, why wouldn't he be speaking them up instead of knocking them down, and if somebody truly is a malcontent - speak to them personally in private. That's why I think this is just so much blue smoke and mrrors (or at least I hope so).

poorme
03-30-2004, 09:55 AM
I thought KW wanted a "loose" clubhouse.

If he's got a problem go to the player directly. What is he thinking?

jeremyb1
03-30-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by poorme
I thought KW wanted a "loose" clubhouse.

If he's got a problem go to the player directly. What is he thinking?

I don't know. Guillen will earn his money if he can convince the players to ignore KW and convince KW to stay away from his players.

sas1974
03-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I don't know. Guillen will earn his money if he can convince the players to ignore KW and convince KW to stay away from his players.

If would like to think that K-Dub is creating this situation to motivate these guys...to create a "good cop/bad cop" atmosphere where the guys would win in spite of him. As odd as it seems...sort of like in Major League where they wanted to win to piss off the Owner. Unfortunately, I don't think he's that smart.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
If would like to think that K-Dub is creating this situation to motivate these guys...to create a "good cop/bad cop" atmosphere where the guys would win in spite of him. As odd as it seems...sort of like in Major League where they wanted to win to piss off the Owner. Unfortunately, I don't think he's that smart.

This is exactly what I was thinking, too. Either KW mistakenly thinks this is a positive way to motivate the team, or he is doing somebody else's bidding who ought to know better himself. Of course I'm referring to our beloved and infallible leader, the chairman himself.

That's why listening to the Oracle of Reinsdorphi would be so helpful right now. That's the surest way of figuring out who is the *real* idiot inside the front office.

We know the idiot is KW if Hawk says something like:

:hawk
"I don't know, Feisty... Kenny is obviously upset at somebody but I'm not sure who."

Alternately, we know the idiot is Reinsdorf if Hawk says something like:

:hawk
"Well, Feisty, there has been a lot of talk in the press about Kenny being down on some of the ballplayers and he is absolutely dad-gum right."

It's so transparent and it works every time.