PDA

View Full Version : Yankees/Drays


Jjav829
03-30-2004, 06:44 AM
How about that Yankee pitching? The Devil Dogs pounding them 8-3 here. Tino having a big game going 3-3 so far with a HR. 14 total hits for the Rays, with only Crawford hitless. This makes waking up early well worth it. Jose Cruz also jacked one deep to right. Good game here, nice to see some meaningful baseball.

Jjav829
03-30-2004, 06:59 AM
Yankees lose! Thhhheeeeeeeeee Yankees lose! Good game Rays. The Devil Rays are now in first place with the best record in baseball. This is their year. :D: :gulp:

South Sider
03-30-2004, 07:02 AM
Wow....The Yankees will not win 162 games this year !!! Really great news !!!!

What a great way to start the new MLB Season

Yankees suck !!!!

delben91
03-30-2004, 08:03 AM
Was there anyone else out there totally unaware that MLB was having a game that counted this far before the season started (despite it being in Japan)? This is honestly the first I've heard of it. Anyway, I'm going to go back under my rock now.

duke of dorwood
03-30-2004, 08:07 AM
Opening day in Japan-WHAT A JOKE. PLAY ALL YANKEE GAMES THERE

mantis1212
03-30-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by delben91
Was there anyone else out there totally unaware that MLB was having a game that counted this far before the season started (despite it being in Japan)? This is honestly the first I've heard of it. Anyway, I'm going to go back under my rock now.

I know! I was surprised this morning when I heard it on the radio. I'm glad to hear we've officially started

sas1974
03-30-2004, 08:53 AM
How sweet is it to see the $28MM D-Rays beat up on the $185MM Yanks?

cheeses_h_rice
03-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
How sweet is it to see the $28MM D-Rays beat up on the $185MM Yanks?

Pretty ****ing sweet.

:)

Jerko
03-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
How sweet is it to see the $28MM D-Rays beat up on the $185MM Yanks?

Well, that's true to an extent until JR sees that and says "see, we have to cut 30 mil from the payroll by the 5th so WE can get down to 28 mil!"

Tekijawa
03-30-2004, 09:30 AM
I'm surprised the Chicago Media hasn't jumped all over this and Just handed this season to the Cubs with this loss, oh wait they were doing that a month ago... This also means that, Boston is a half game ahead of the yankes and a Half Game out of first... GO BEAN TOWN! And we're tied for the Wild Card!

Railsplitter
03-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Mmmm. Yankees lose.

kittle42
03-30-2004, 09:39 AM
Who cares about the Yankees?

SoxxoS
03-30-2004, 09:44 AM
I knows it's only 1 game, but it's amazing what a manager can do for your club. Those guys play the Yankees tough EVERY TIME THEY PLAY THEM.

:jerry

"Zzzzzzz"

KingXerxes
03-30-2004, 09:57 AM
The Yankees will not make the playoffs.

I say this not on the basis of a single loss, but on the fact that they have no pitching.

anewman35
03-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
The Yankees will not make the playoffs.

I say this not on the basis of a single loss, but on the fact that they have no pitching.

Maybe not great pitching, perhaps, but Mussina, Brown, Vasquez and Rivera are hardly "no pitching". Overall, they look at about the level of our staff, maybe better (if they can stay healthy).

Tekijawa
03-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Maybe not great pitching, perhaps, but Mussina, Brown, Vasquez and Rivera are hardly "no pitching". Overall, they look at about the level of our staff, maybe better (if they can stay healthy).

Contreras has been pretty solid the last half of last year and all spring... My call is it's going to be between him and Vasquez as best pitcher on that team... also a great fantasy sleeper!

KingXerxes
03-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Overall, they look at about the level of our staff, maybe better (if they can stay healthy).

Mussina has to be something like 35 or 36 years old.
Brown is around 40.
Vasquez doesn't impress me all that much.
Forget about Lieber.

Maybe I was wrong to say that they have no pitching at this point, but given the ages and health records of these guys, by the end of the year all the pundits will be saying "The Yankees forgot that you need pitching."

I just think this staff is going to melt down.

I think our staff is going to improve from last year (with the exception of Loaiza), I think their's is just going to go into a slide.

We'll see.

Iwritecode
03-30-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
The Yankees will not make the playoffs.

I say this not on the basis of a single loss, but on the fact that they have no pitching.

That's funny because my friend and I were just discussing the Yankees pitching staff last night. I actually had to look at the depth chart on their web site to rememeber who their starting 5 are.

This is probably the weakest pitching staff the Yanks have had in years.

Gee, what a shame...

sas1974
03-30-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
That's funny because my friend and I were just discussing the Yankees pitching staff last night. I actually had to look at the depth chart on their web site to rememeber who their starting 5 are.

This is probably the weakest pitching staff the Yanks have had in years.

Gee, what a shame...

I guess $185MM just doesn't buy what it used to. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
03-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
And we're tied for the Wild Card!

And the division lead, too!

Of course, we're also tied for last in the division as well.

ma-gaga
03-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I just think this staff is going to melt down.

And it'll be a beautiful thing. Can you imagine what 'poor' A-Rod must be thinking? Or Giambi??

Giambi is the biggest idiot on that team. Moving from Hudson, Mulder and Zito to the "Yankee tradition" for what, $30MM total?

heh. well, ok, maybe not an "idiot", but the biggest money grubbing bastard on that team. The vaunted Yankees will have one good starter all year in Vazquez. The rest of that staff will miss ... 60 games? Is that a fair assessment? 40 games is probably realistic. 40 games missed by their starting 5. That's going to be tough for them to overcome. They have the deep pockets to absorb 30 games, but I don't know if they can do 40.

We'll see. :smile: RS = 950, RA = 900. Life is good.

jabrch
03-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
The Yankees will not make the playoffs.

I say this not on the basis of a single loss, but on the fact that they have no pitching.

I wish we had as bad of pitching as they do!

Mussina>Loaiza
Brown> Buehrle
Vazquez>>>Garland
Contreras>Wright
Lieber (DL)
Osborne=?

RichardSkrip
03-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Tino having a big game going 3-3 so far with a HR.

All those fantasy owners who still haven't had their drafts are gonna snarf him up, and be very, very disappointed in October.

kermittheefrog
03-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Seriously, what are you guys thinking about the Yankee staff. Brown may be old and probably won't pitch more than 180 innings but when he's on the mound he's as good as anyone not named Pedro Martinez. Vazquez, well he was only one of the best pitchers in the NL. Mussina is still an ace, this might be the year he wins 20. Rivera is almost unhittable. Sure outside those guys there are a bunch of question marks but they have a much better foundation for a staff than the White Sox. If you don't think the Yankees will make the playoffs due to their pitching where the hell do you see the White Sox finishing?

Iwritecode
03-30-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by jabrch


I wish we had as bad of pitching as they do!

Mussina>Loaiza
Brown> Buehrle
Vazquez>>>Garland
Contreras>Wright
Lieber (DL)
Osborne=?

Yea, it's just too bad that they only get to play White Sox 6 times this year. The Red Sox on the other hand they get to see 19 times this year. I believe their pitching staff matches up a little bit better...


Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Seriously, what are you guys thinking about the Yankee staff. Brown may be old and probably won't pitch more than 180 innings but when he's on the mound he's as good as anyone not named Pedro Martinez. Vazquez, well he was only one of the best pitchers in the NL. Mussina is still an ace, this might be the year he wins 20. Rivera is almost unhittable. Sure outside those guys there are a bunch of question marks but they have a much better foundation for a staff than the White Sox.

You named three good pitchers with one of them being very injury-prone. Compare that to last year when they had 7? starters on their staff. All I'm saying is that this is a very weak staff compared to years past.


Originally posted by kermittheefrog
If you don't think the Yankees will make the playoffs due to their pitching where the hell do you see the White Sox finishing?

The Yankees don't play in the AL central, the Sox do. That gives us a chance even with our questionable pitching staff.

SEALgep
03-30-2004, 11:48 AM
A-Rod, although no errors from what I saw, looked pretty new to the position still. It will no doubtedly take some more time to adjust, but teams playing them early, like us, may exploit this until he finds his comfort zone. They bunted on him and pulled pitches down the line with success.

KingXerxes
03-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Vazquez, well he was only one of the best pitchers in the NL.

I'm not that sold on Vasquez.

sas1974
03-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I'm not that sold on Vasquez.

What's your sticking point? Is it the fact that he pitched w/ minimal pressure up in the Great White North? Or is it his numbers? His pure numbers seem to indicate a pretty solid workhorse.

Iwritecode
03-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
What's your sticking point? Is it the fact that he pitched w/ minimal pressure up in the Great White North? Or is it his numbers? His pure numbers seem to indicate a pretty solid workhorse.

I haven't looked at his numbers but I wonder if the transition from the NL to the AL will affect them.

Jjav829
03-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by RichardSkrip
All those fantasy owners who still haven't had their drafts are gonna snarf him up, and be very, very disappointed in October.

Welcome Aboard! :D:

There will probably be a few people who do so, but I would expect that most peoples opinion of Tino probably didn't change much because of one game.