PDA

View Full Version : Well Ozzie isn't the worst manager in a 95 mile square radius.

Dadawg_77
03-29-2004, 02:12 PM
"We've said from the beginning when we traded Richie (Sexson), we're trading home runs for doubles and the ability to manufacture runs... Doubles are almost better. I mean, home runs are great, but when you've got guys who smack those doubles, you're in good shape, you've got a lot of guys in scoring position."
--Ned Yost, Brewers manager (Madison Capital Times)

I feel for Brewers fans if this is really thier line of thinking.

Palehose13
03-29-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
"We've said from the beginning when we traded Richie (Sexson), we're trading home runs for doubles and the ability to manufacture runs... Doubles are almost better. I mean, home runs are great, but when you've got guys who smack those doubles, you're in good shape, you've got a lot of guys in scoring position."

Kinda sounds like Greg "Sacks aren't important" Blache...

fledgedrallycap
03-29-2004, 02:15 PM
I think he and Greg Blache should go bowling :D: Sacks don't matter...I'm still laughing at that comment.

fledgedrallycap
03-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Kinda sounds like Greg "Sacks aren't important" Blache...

You beat me to it.

Palehose13
03-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
You beat me to it.

LOL...sorry. At least we are thinking along the same lines.

fledgedrallycap
03-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
LOL...sorry. At least we are thinking along the same lines.

And proves what a ridiculous comment that was.

doublem23
03-29-2004, 07:21 PM
But would Ned Yost make guys like Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez bunt "if the situation called for it?" Not saying Ozzie will do that either, but at least he's gone on record saying its good baseball to have a 40-homer guy bunt. Does Yost have anyone capable of hitting 40 doubles?

RKMeibalane
03-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
But would Ned Yost make guys like Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez bunt "if the situation called for it?" Not saying Ozzie will do that either, but at least he's gone on record saying its good baseball to have a 40-homer guy bunt. Does Yost have anyone capable of hitting 40 doubles?

Maybe Geoff Jenkins. I don't know. They have a bad team in Milwaukee. Yost will gone by the end of 2005.

Thunderstruck30
03-29-2004, 08:41 PM
Whyd you say 95 mile radius, why not 8 mile radius? I mean who actually thinks he's worse than Baker? (besides idiot Cub fans)

soxnut
03-29-2004, 08:45 PM
I don't think it's that bad with what he said. How many times last year did the Sox struggle because we had guys trying to hit home runs instead of doubles? Of course home runs are important. But, I think you have a better chance of getting at least a base hit if you're thinking double, than flying out because you're swinging for the fences, and not advancing any runners. I hate the homerun mentality.

fquaye149
03-29-2004, 10:04 PM
^ you beat me right to it... when you JUST miss a double it's either just a single or the outfielder made a great play. When you miss a home run, it's a can of corn.

His reasonin was incredibly flawed, but there is a truth behind the statement that a great doubles hitter could be more valuable to his team than a home run hitter

soxnut
03-29-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
^ you beat me right to it... when you JUST miss a double it's either just a single or the outfielder made a great play. When you miss a home run, it's a can of corn.

His reasonin was incredibly flawed, but there is a truth behind the statement that a great doubles hitter could be more valuable to his team than a home run hitter

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D: :smile:

fuzzy_patters
03-29-2004, 11:02 PM

You are reading too much into the quote. Was he supposed to say "The owner and GM left me with a crappy team. We need more power?" Of course not. Instead he tried to pretend like he loves his team, and he thinks they can win a lot of games. Every manager does this. It's nothing new.

Dadawg_77
03-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
You are reading too much into the quote. Was he supposed to say "The owner and GM left me with a crappy team. We need more power?" Of course not. Instead he tried to pretend like he loves his team, and he thinks they can win a lot of games. Every manager does this. It's nothing new.

Say we have a good up and coming team. We should be able to hold our own this year and continue to get better over the next couple of years.

Dadawg_77
03-30-2004, 11:02 AM

huh? I guess if the doubles hitter had a higher OPB or something, he could be. The object of hitting to make solid contact with the baseball. Secondly, find me a great doubles hitter who isn't a home run hitter. Doubles need to be hit in the gaps or on the lines, anything else within the range of the outfielder is an out and doesn't need to be a great play.

Dadawg_77
03-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Whyd you say 95 mile radius, why not 8 mile radius? I mean who actually thinks he's worse than Baker? (besides idiot Cub fans)

I am not sold on Ozzie yet. Baker has a tremendous track record of success, even though his biggest weakness is handling a pitching staff. If you compared Ozzie to Baker, you would have to give the now to Baker because of his record and lack of Ozzie's currently.

sas1974
03-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
They have a bad team in Milwaukee.

I think this could be the winner for the "Understatement of the Year Award." Whenever we think we have the worst ownership in the league, all we have to do it look up I-94.

Jerko
03-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30

I was gonna say the same thing. Speaking of Baker, why does he wear that cape on the back of his cap? I thought "his people" (his words, not mine) were used to the sun?

Iwritecode
03-30-2004, 11:52 AM
Not to be picky but I don't think I've ever heard the phrase "square radius" in my life.

IIRC, radius is the distance from the edge of a circle to it's center.

fledgedrallycap
03-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Not to be picky but I don't think I've ever heard the phrase "square radius" in my life.

IIRC, radius is the distance from the edge of a circle to it's center.

I love it, not only do we have the grammar and spelling police on this board; but now the geometric measurements police :D: Just kidding, that's a Who You Crappin' if I've ever heard one...

sas1974
03-30-2004, 12:26 PM
I love it, not only do we have the grammar and spelling police on this board; but now the geometric measurements police :D: Just kidding, that's a Who You Crappin' if I've ever heard one...

I am sure it is all just part of a greater mission to make WSI a better place to visit. :smile:

Iwritecode
03-30-2004, 12:26 PM

I know, I know... I hate the grammar police as much as anyone.

I just thought that title stuck out like a sore thumb and couldn't help but say something. :D:

jabrch
03-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Secondly, find me a great doubles hitter who isn't a home run hitter.

All-Time Doubles List
Tris Speaker
Pete Rose
Musial
Cobb
Brett
Lajoie
Yaz
Wagner
Aaron
Molitor
Ripken
Yount
Anson
Boggs

Take out the guys who played befor 1940
Pete Rose
Musial
Brett
Yaz
Aaron
Molitor
Ripken
Yount
Boggs

About 50/50 between HR hitters and non-HR hitters - right? Yost was only trying to say that his team is OK and losing Sexon is not the end of the world. Geez - I don't even think he has that many good doubles hitters on his team. They really will stink this season. He was defending his team - nothing wrong with that.

sas1974
03-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
He was defending his team - nothing wrong with that.

What's he supposed to say? "We suck! You should all stay home and save your money." I still think the quote looked a little odd though. I think it's just being over analyzed. Now Yost knows what it feels like to be Frank Thomas for a day.

fquaye149
03-30-2004, 06:07 PM
huh? I guess if the doubles hitter had a higher OPB or something, he could be. The object of hitting to make solid contact with the baseball. Secondly, find me a great doubles hitter who isn't a home run hitter. Doubles need to be hit in the gaps or on the lines, anything else within the range of the outfielder is an out and doesn't need to be a great play.

well, i just think that the kind of hitter who produces a lot of doubles is probably (on average) more likely to have a high OBP than someone who is a home run hitter. This might no be the case, I haven't researched the stats. I just feel like line drives are more forgiving than fly balls. If a home run hitter doesn't get it all, then it's an easy out. If a line drive hitter doesn't get it all, it's still a base hit. It's just my preference. I guess I'd rather have a Molitor than a Sammy Sosa, a George Brett than a McGwire. A lot of people feel the exact opposite way and there's a lot of stat heads and sabremetricians who will probably back them up.

soxnut
03-30-2004, 11:30 PM
well, i just think that the kind of hitter who produces a lot of doubles is probably (on average) more likely to have a high OBP than someone who is a home run hitter. This might no be the case, I haven't researched the stats. I just feel like line drives are more forgiving than fly balls. If a home run hitter doesn't get it all, then it's an easy out. If a line drive hitter doesn't get it all, it's still a base hit. It's just my preference. I guess I'd rather have a Molitor than a Sammy Sosa, a George Brett than a McGwire. A lot of people feel the exact opposite way and there's a lot of stat heads and sabremetricians who will probably back them up.

I agree with you. I loved watching a guy like Molitor hit. I think home runs are just fly ball that mistakenly make it over the fence, where doubles aren't.