PDA

View Full Version : "America's Pastime" opens in Japan?

chisox06
03-29-2004, 12:14 AM
I have so many reasons why opening the baseball season in Japan is incredibly stupid. Talk about a slap in the face to the baseball faithful all over THIS COUNTRY. I understand there trying to expand their markets but the fact that the first baseball game of the year will be played in Japan a country that allready has a baseball league is just plain stupid to me. I guess the term "America's Pastime" doesnt mean much anymore, considering it takes hundreds of dollars now a days to take your family to a ball game, the whole thing sickens me. Selig your a moron, you really are.

beckett21
03-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Used to be that the first game always used to be played in Cincinnati, for some reason, or involved the Reds. Don't know the background for that one, but that was always interesting to me. This has become the new trend, opening in another country. They opened in Mexico City a couple years back, didn't they? And Puerto Rico IIRC?

I also find it strange. I can understand an exhibition, but games that count? Odd.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-29-2004, 12:45 AM
The stupidest thing of all....this game is considered a home game for the rays and yet the Yankees are wearing pinstripes. That's a joke. Although, I could see that being a good thing since no one goes to dray games in tampa. Terrible stadium down there.

dllrbll7
03-29-2004, 01:15 AM
Does this actually count as a regular season game?? Or is it still spring training?

HITMEN OF 77
03-29-2004, 01:26 AM
I think baseball is just catering to other areas to raise intrest in the game. However, I do find this bad for baseball, at least for opening day or the 1st game of the year.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-29-2004, 02:48 AM
We give everything to foreign countries, jobs, money, support, freedom, and now baseball. We also give them a perfect example of how america works. The wealthy overpowering the poor

Railsplitter
03-29-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
Used to be that the first game always used to be played in Cincinnati, for some reason, or involved the Reds. Don't know the background for that one, but that was always interesting to me.

The first professional baseball team (at least the first where all players were paid over the table instead of under it) was the Cincinnatti Red Srockings in 1869.

Railsplitter
03-29-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
The first professional baseball team (at least the first where all players were paid over the table instead of under it) was the Cincinnatti Red Srockings in 1869.

I can't function well this early! Red Stockings.

my5thbench
03-29-2004, 08:38 AM
I think this is a no brainer....55,000 seats have been sold for this
game in Toykyo, if they were in Tampa the seats would likely go
for 20 to 40 bucks apiece....in this place with many Japanese
folks with expendable income the seats have likely sold at
more like super bowl prices with no one getting in for under
a few hundred bucks

MLB ain't passin' up a chance like that....TV ratings in Japan
will probably be off the charts..........more $$$$$$$$$$

Jerko
03-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
Does this actually count as a regular season game?? Or is it still spring training?

First 2 games count in the standings I believe.

beckett21
03-29-2004, 08:58 AM
Yup. The games are for real.

beckett21
03-29-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter

DUH...I knew this somewhere in the back of my cluttered brain...thanks! :D:

Veeky
03-29-2004, 12:20 PM
I am anti-globalist in many things.

Whoever said it's being treated as Super Bowl Lite is damn right. I love the rising interest in baseball 'round the world. Maybe some day "World Series" will all of the sudden make sense.

pudge
03-29-2004, 12:32 PM
The NBA was doing this even before MLB I believe.

I don't really have a big problem with it. It's not like it detracts from our Opening Day here in the States. It's miles and miles away, and the games are played at 4:00 am our time. At the same time, it's best to play these games early in the season when both teams are fresh and it doesn't mean as much in the pennant races. Last year Seattle was supposed to go, but the war prevented it. It makes sense for Seattle or New York to go over there and showcase the Japan players in the MLB.

What I would like to see is MLB make a bigger deal of Opening Day in the US. Maybe do something like the NFL does, throw a big party for the first game between two marquee teams. Heck, they could even get creative and make the first game a big rivalry game, like Yanks/Red Sox or Cubs/Sox, just a one-game bash to kick off the season. How psyched would you be if a Sox/Cubs game was played in primetime on ESPN as the first game of the MLB season?

steff
03-29-2004, 12:34 PM
So I guess you guys aren't coming over for breakfast in the morning.. :?: :(:

:D:

Mickster
03-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by steff
So I guess you guys aren't coming over for breakfast in the morning.. :?: :(:

:D:

So breakfast is off??? :?:

steff
03-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
So breakfast is off??? :?:

You guys can come over.. I'll be up watching it.

Mickster
03-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by steff
You guys can come over.. I'll be up watching it.

Bloody Mary time?? :D:

wolcott10
03-29-2004, 01:10 PM
The NBA was doing this even before MLB I believe.

I thought that the NFL was going to Japan before the NBA. I'm not sure though.

steff
03-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Bloody Mary time?? :D:

With a Krispy Kream... sure :gulp:

minastirith67
03-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
I have so many reasons why opening the baseball season in Japan is incredibly stupid. Talk about a slap in the face to the baseball faithful all over THIS COUNTRY. I understand there trying to expand their markets but the fact that the first baseball game of the year will be played in Japan a country that allready has a baseball league is just plain stupid to me. I guess the term "America's Pastime" doesnt mean much anymore, considering it takes hundreds of dollars now a days to take your family to a ball game, the whole thing sickens me. Selig your a moron, you really are.

Use appropriate grammar please!

A. Cavatica
03-29-2004, 08:22 PM
It wouldn't bother me one bit if the Yankees were to stay in Japan for the rest of the season.

chisox06
03-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67

Appropriate grammar? It was late and I was out of it. Thanx Dr.English, feel free to reply to something constructive next time.

niucons
03-29-2004, 08:43 PM
I've got a decent exuse to get to work an hour or so later, and speaking on purely fantasy terms, It's not bad to get a jump start on your yankee/devil ray players.

On the other hand, may the ghost of jet lag curse the yankee's for the rest of the season.

Daver
03-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by niucons
I've got a decent exuse to get to work an hour or so later, and speaking on purely fantasy terms, It's not bad to get a jump start on your yankee/devil ray players.

On the other hand, may the ghost of jet lag curse the yankee's for the rest of the season.

Hey Welcome aboard! :redneck

niucons
03-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Hey Welcome aboard! :redneck

Sorry about the bad spellling, but I've been a Pale Hose fand for a while now, I'm from Beverly, I'm going to assume you folk know where I went to school. I'm in Atlanta now, I miss the Cell dearly, but hey, it's a cheap plane ride, I'll be back in town for a bunch of games, I wouldn't miss the braves-Sox series for the world.

pudge
03-30-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by wolcott10

Well, the NFL does preseason, not regular season games.

Veeky
03-30-2004, 01:14 AM

Bobby Fisher did it first.

KingXerxes
03-30-2004, 11:43 AM
I have never understood why MLB does this.

If they want to play internationally - fine, but why on Opening Day?

The most ridiculous thing about this two game series is that each team has an exhibition game AFTER they play these two. It's just stupid.

Fridaythe13thJason
03-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

The most ridiculous thing about this two game series is that each team has an exhibition game AFTER they play these two. It's just stupid.

While I also disagree with the practice, it has to be opening day. At no other time in the season can you give players many days to recoup afterwards. That plane ride is nasty, and you can't play the next day in the states.

Teams also do have exhibitions during the season. You might remember a famous Cubs-Sox one years back, and teams will play their own AAA clubs on off days on occassion.

With that said, I think its unnecessary for it to be reg season. Have it played right now, fine, but it shouldn't count. I don't think the Japanese fans who came out to see MLB players care about the standings.

Kittle
03-30-2004, 12:14 PM
I can see MLB trying to expand into Mexico or Puerto Rico, as we could actually involve those countries in MLB one day. However, involving Japan is not remotely feasible, as the plane trips are something like 14 hours.

And having Opening Day in Japan at 5 am EST is completely inappropriate. I wouldn't mind them playing over there at some other time during the regular season (as long as MLB compensates the home team for loss of attendance revenue), but not on Opening Day.

rahulsekhar
03-30-2004, 12:26 PM
New revenue streams are going to be significantly dominated by international markets. Baseball is in a pretty strong position relative to NBA/NFL here since there are established markets with baseball fever, so they're doing what they can to maintain that and build on it - The World Cup is another example of this. In fact, I'd bet that a large part of the reason this year's opener is in Japan is that that's a good market for them to build up for WC support.

IMO, it's a pretty smart thing to do for the long term health of the sport. For MOST fans (i.e. Everyone except Yanks fans and the 5 DRay fans), opening day is still Sunday. It doesn't PO me at all that they do something that's smart for the game.

That said, I think a "domestic" opening shindig ala the NFL would be a great idea.

chisox06
03-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Kittle
I can see MLB trying to expand into Mexico or Puerto Rico, as we could actually involve those countries in MLB one day. However, involving Japan is not remotely feasible, as the plane trips are something like 14 hours.

And having Opening Day in Japan at 5 am EST is completely inappropriate. I wouldn't mind them playing over there at some other time during the regular season (as long as MLB compensates the home team for loss of attendance revenue), but not on Opening Day.

Yup all good points. If you ask me the whole situation really plays down the anticipation of the new season. First games of the year are played across the ocean and at 5AM, not the best way to kick the season off with a bang.

Rocklive99
03-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Well, I thought it was stupid, but not because of the whole "America Pastime" thing, I just think it's unfair to the teams. I guess I don't care since I wouldn't be going to either of these teams opening days. For me, Opening Day is April 5th at 2. The thing that scares me is that the Sox are now probably candidates for this in the future with their acquistion of Shingo, which would suck, but right now, I'm just happy to see baseball that counts. I'm kind of surprised that a lot of people are suprised about this. This happened two years ago with the Flubs and Giants, and was supposed to happen last year with the A's and Mariners (but was cancelled, I forgot why, either the war or Sars).

beckett21
03-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

Exactly. Or just call it an exhibition--honestly are the Japanese people going to care any more or any less if it counts in the standings or not? They're just there to see the teams and players. I can't imagine they care if the game counts in the standings. Or do they? I don't know.

Nothing wrong with showcasing our product around the globe, but it should be treated as an exhibition as far as I am concerned. Absurd that the season has *officially* started, yet our guys don't play for almost a week.

Railsplitter
03-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Back when there was a big league team in Washington, the season opener was there. No reason why it can't be done any more.

voodoochile
03-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Used to be that the first game always used to be played in Cincinnati, for some reason, or involved the Reds. Don't know the background for that one, but that was always interesting to me. This has become the new trend, opening in another country. They opened in Mexico City a couple years back, didn't they? And Puerto Rico IIRC?

I also find it strange. I can understand an exhibition, but games that count? Odd.

The Reds are the original professional baseball team. Thus by definition they played the first game ever played and as a tradition, they continued to play the first game every year.

voodoochile
03-30-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67

Shouldn't that be, "Please use appropriate grammar?" or "Use appropriate grammar, please?"

I mean, if you are going to whine about it, at least get it right...

rahulsekhar
03-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Kittle

It's not just about potential sites for new teams, it's about maximizing overall revenue for the game. NBA makes a pretty sizable percentage of it's apparel revenues overseas. MLB has as good or better potential in some markets (i.e. Asia, Latin America), and is doign what they can to maintain and grow that. Part of that is having actual games that count. There's a huge difference between that and exhibition, and fans of the game know that (and in japan, they're serious about their baseball). Not to mention that having it count means you make sure the fans see the players they know and not some chumps that are about to start selling insurance. That all of this comes as they're building support for the World Cup (and more of an increase in the international popularity of the sport) is no coincidence. Personally, I'm all for things that provide some increased revenue under the hope that it might help everyone realize that doing percentage splits of revenues in conjunction with a salary cap & floor is good for the game.

And as for the timing - as noted earlier, Opening day is the only time that makes sense. You can give the teams a break for travel & recuperation without messing up the schedule.

steff
03-31-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The Reds are the original professional baseball team. Thus by definition they played the first game ever played and as a tradition, they continued to play the first game every year.

Not this year.. Baltimore & Boston Sunday night.